• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Ray Sewell- Morganton N.C. National 1996

Picture 4057.jpg
Not a good pic, but it was from the rally where Ray got the million Mile Award. Ray on the left. The other gentleman was the MOA member in charge of the millage contest in those days. Can't remember his name, I'm to lazy to go get my MOA mags out and look his name up. Good guy, just like Ray.

Lyle Grimes

Was sitting here looking at the last picture I posted of Ray and it just hit me that the other gentleman was Lyle Grimes. Lyle was killed in a motorcycle accident back in 2009. I had forgotten all that. Lyle was in charge pf the MOA hi mileage group that kept up with the members and their mileage and the rewards they received. My friends John Lyle and J C Blades were good friends with Lyle and they had introduced me to him. Yep, I'm losing memory. I think John and J C were in the 300,000-500,000 range. If I remember correctly John had a big 300,000 mile MOA badge he carried on his R80 and a couple of other newer BMW he rode. He switched over to a KLR 650 and finished out his riding career on it. He had that 300,000 MOA pin on that KLR and I thought it was kinda cute. I sit at the crossroads of I-55 and I-40 and and those guys would stop in and see me. They'ed been to Alaska, Mexico, Central America, Out West. Phillips's when are you going with us. Well I may go, but I missed my chance with them. My loss.

A Christmas Feast

Wasn't planning on a big Christmas feast. The neighbors brought over so much Christmas fixxens, it was a feast for a army division. Many thanks to my good neighbors; I'm totally stuffed. Just lost my girlish figure. :wave Merry Christmas Again. :thumb

Curator

Picture 4062.jpg
I was a curator. Which meant I was the chief maid, gofer, janitor, flunky, detailer, driver, etc and so forth. 10 years of fun, excitement, travel, rally's, races, rubbing shoulders with billionaires, millionaires, royals, race car builders and drivers, race track personal, good folks, crooks, shysters, doctors lawyers and Indian chiefs. Good memories and experience's. Wouldn't do it again for a $1 million. Then again if you gotta a $1 million, need a curator, let's talk. :) 1949 Allard K1, powered by a Mercury flathead V8 It wasn't too fast, but it sure had a nice throaty flathead rumble. Chrome waterfall grill was kinda unique.

Onset of Oldtimers

Was on the Motobricks.com website the other day. Got to looking around on it, mainly the used parts site. Saw a K100 windshield for sell. Stock windshield that fits plain K100's and plain k75's. Had some nice pics of it on a '85 K100. Really looked good, windshield, mounts, hardware, a complete set. $100. Good price! I just bought one last year for my plain K100 project. Better get this one for a backup. SOLD Gosh, Somebody beat me to it. Got to looking closer. It's the one I bought. Beat myself to a good deal. Yep, I'm losing my mind. :hungover So sad.

BMW Head Fixture-Airheads

My buddy Ron is a automotive engine builder. All brands, but mostly small and big block American engines. Like most of us, Ron is getting up in years. Tired of missing with those big cast iron heavy engines. Been after him for some time to switch over to German cars and BMW motorcycle engines. Ron hurt his back messing with that big stuff and took a 6 month sabbatical to heal up. Called me the other day and wanted me to come over to the shop; had some stuff to show me.

BMW Airhead Fixture

Picture 4104.jpg
Picture 4105.jpg
Picture 4106.jpg
Ron built this fixture some years ago for a Porsche project he was developing at the time. Found it, dug it out, did a little measuring. Yep, it'll work for BMW's. It's already blanchard ground flat, Perfect. Just enough room to add tapped holes for the airheads. So far so good.

Picture 4072.jpg
Brought one of my heads over for measuring purposes for the fixture. Yes I did some pretty work back in the day. :thumb

The thing is we're slowly making progress on getting serious on doing BMW head, cylinder and engine work. Finally

VW Engine Build

Guess Ron took me serious on building smaller German engines. Easy on the back. But it is a a steep learning curve.
Picture 4065.jpg
Picture 4075.jpg
Where's that other push rod tube. Believe me more that a few verboten words loudly spoken. No, it ain't no small block Chevy.

Attachments

• Picture 4066.jpg
    Picture 4066.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 142
Assembly VW Stroker engine

Picture 4097.jpg
Picture 4098.jpg
Picture 4099.jpg
When Ron got the engine, it was haphazardly taken apart. Half the hardware missing and the other half wrong altogether. :banghead
This was a 1600cc engine bored and stroked to over 2100cc Pretty cool.

Wally Wages Garage

Picture 4090.jpg
Picture 4091.jpg
Picture 4092.jpg
One of Wally's likes is early Small Honda's. Excellent work. Wally has a very impressive machine shop. He's been developing a lot of small NLA parts for these bikes. Nice stuff, excellent work.

Chopper sitting on the ways of one large horizontal machining center. Old School. Ran equipment like this many years ago.

The Peabody

Picture 4086.jpg
Picture 4085.jpg
Famous Memphis downtown hotel. Fell on hard times back in the 60's and 70's. Back in the late 70's the Belz family acquired and did a great restoration on it. Back around '79 they had an open house to see it about 1/2 restored. Road my Schwinn bike from midtown to downtown to see the progress. Impressive. This was the start of the downtown revitalization. The downtown revitalization is a never ending work in progress. Will get by real soon to take pics of the famous Peabody ducks swimming in the fountain. I think the Peabody was the inspiration for the Little Feat song 'Dixie Chicken' The writer substituted Commodore Hotel in place of the Peabody. Sounded better in the lyrics. The hotel is also famous for it's evening rooftop concerts and parties. Really nice affairs.

Back