• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Angle Plate

Picture 255.jpg
Picture 256.jpg
Got this angle plate out to show the head. Made by my dad in 1970. Getting somewhat deteriorated. Need to clean it up. Used it many years in several machine shops and tool & die shops. It has endless uses in there shops. Thx Dad.

BMW R90/6 heads

Picture 254.jpg
Picture 253.jpg
Heads I reworked years ago. Mechanical device with art class style. 1973, I was a Sophomore in college and wasn't aware of anything BMW.

The Other Head

Picture 261.jpg
Picture 262.jpg
Saw the other head sitting there. The valves are out. Pretty nice to have a nice set of heads pretty much done and ready to go. When they talk about 'Art of The Motorcyle'; I guess this could 'Art of The Motorcycle Components'. I'm like Pavlov's Dog. Seeing Perry's little machine shop triggered a inate response of neat motorcycle tools and parts.

Over Size and On Size.

It just dawned on me about the dies to cut the threads. I said I machined them foe three different sizes. I made two dies for each size. One was a little oversize and the second one was on size. Probably a little over kill, but two cuts is probably easier on the process. I think it gives a little better finish on the final cut. I also use the dies when I install the rings. It assures me of uniformity on thread sizeing. I have the exhaust nuts on hand to give a final check. So that's the reason for so many dies. It's been awhile since I used them and I'm becoming forgetfull. :thumb Glad that's cleared up.

:)
Whenever I think of, or see a valve, I think of my first valve job. Between some help from my Stepfather, and Mini-Bike Magazine, I got it done. I also learned the repercussions of "mean" downshifts on a CB100 :hungover
It's a good feeling to pull off a job like your heads and have them looking good :thumb
Gary

Thx Gary. Being's back memories. I did quite a bit of developmental work on doing heads. Machined a lot of fixtures for a lot of differnt kinds of heads. Built some really nice stuff to process Porsche heads back in the day. Pretty complex and involved. I'm no engineer, but I had to do a lot of figureing to get it set up properly. I really kinda miss it. I need to find a machine shop and turn some metal and make some chips. :dance

On those threaded sleeves, I think I ran about 0.005'' interference fit. Turn the exhaust port down to size and freeze the head. Put the sleeves on a hot plate till red hot and drop them on the turned down port. They would fall on. After they cooled to room temp they were tightly fitted. Ran a small bead of weld to secure them. Then ran the dies over and check with the exhaust nuts. Perfect. Then do the valve job if that was on the work order. Ah the good old days. :)

....{snip} I'm no engineer, but I had to do a lot of figureing to get it set up properly. I really kinda miss it. I need to find a machine shop and turn some metal and make some chips. :dance
Well, there is a good chance the/an engineer needed you to actually make the piece that they thunk up :)
Between my Brother and I we have a lot of tools(ing). From a Bridgeport clone to a 55-ton iron worker, we have it covered. My Brother is more the fine machinist where I am more into production.
I get personal satisfaction from building repair parts like you have shown. It's too bad that people have a hard time realizing what goes into even the most simple piece.
This black piece with the holes is out of 1/4" aluminum and is the plate I made to hols the 3gallon gas can usually mounted to the tunnel on a Ski-Do, to the rear rack of my ATV. I really don't want to say the time that went into that piece including the hidden mounts and the Can-AM LinQ brackets.
Orientation is a bit off as it was an iPhone picture.
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 187
I appreciate fabrication and welding along with machining, they generally go hand in hand. Drafting, and reading blue prints is another skill. All these techniques and skills compliment each other.

Bikes on BEAle Street 2016

It's been going on for about a month now, but I've been outatown. Finally went this last Wendesday.
Picture 226.jpg
Picture 225.jpg
Superior BBQ is now Jerry Lawler Bar and Restaurant. Enough Said.:dunno:scratch

Bikes on Beale Street 2016

Bikes on Beale is in full swing. This is one over the top bike night. Many nice restaurants on the street. This goes all thru the spring, summer, and fall. Usually starts in the afternoon about 3:00 pm and goes till about 10:00. All bikes are welcome. Free parking for motorcycles. All bikes are welcome. You will see a full variety of styles of bikes; something to see for everyone. I like it and attend as often as I can, when I'm home and not on the road. :thumb

The cottage Restaurant-Closed

Picture 209.jpg
Picture 215.jpg
This is really sad. This place used to be so packed you couldn't park in it's large parking lot. They had a large communty dining room table for 1 and 2 diners, and it was usually full. Why does this have to to happen, can't anything good stay the same. :banghead

Leo's BMW BSA on Tillman St. Memphis

After the diaster of the closed Cottage restauraunt, I went by to take pics of the old BMW dealer in Memphis. Leo's BMW/BSA on Tillman.
Picture 201.jpg
Pretty sad. My BMW R90/6 was bought here in 1973. Pretty sadsack of a place and area.

Back