• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

BMW Cruiser

Picture 167.jpg
Saw this Cruiser sitting there a little ragged looking. A diamond in the rough. Just seems like a couple of years ago they were new bikes and were costaring in a James Bond movie.

Yes, You are correct. I was a little too harsh. I apologize to all offended parties. :) I test rode one of these back in late '97 or early '98. A buddy and I were at the old BMW Motorad in St. Louis. We were there to pick up a EML sidecar to attach to a K100RT. While their we were invited to test ride the new BMW Cruiser. Liked it mostly. Was really interested in what the bike was going to evolve into. Mainly a updated more powerful engine. Didn't happen, then the whole project was abandoned. Kinda sad. Yes, this bike only needs a small amout of work to bring it back to it's new bike luster. Thx for the honest comment; you have a good eye. :thumb

Perry's Sidecars and Motorcycles/ Ft. Worth, Tx.

Any time I'm in Ft. Worth, Tx.; I try to stop in and see Perry and some of his cool projects.
Picture 127.jpg
Picture 126.jpg
Picture 128.jpg
RS Motorsport definately fits the bill; I think this is a '78. Love this bike. :thumb

Moto Guzzi V7 Sport

Picture 137.jpg
Picture 136.jpg
Predecessor to the more famous Le Mans. Tonti Frame series. I like 'em; but I would probably be more comfortable on a Eldorado of the same period. I really love the period V Twin sound and feel of this bike.

Fine Ducati 750 Sport

Picture 132.jpg
Picture 133.jpg
Picture 134.jpg
Didn't they write a book a bout finding the Ducati in the barn. Wait; that was a Ferrari. My mistake.

Perry's Old School Machine Shop

Picture 130.jpg
Picture 129.jpg
Picture 131.jpg
Ran equipment like this 40 years ago. Simple, strong, durable, effective. Still good after all these years. Sounds like an old song; how'ed it go. 'Still Crazy After All These Years.' Something like that, anyway. Open belts and pullies, head stocks, tail stocks, tool posts, 3 jaw chucks. Chips in the ways, bed and on the floor. Mahine shop class 101. Yes open pully's and belts are unsafe. Did you notice the T handle in the chuck. That's 10 demerits on your next machine shop class project. Sorry Mr. Craig, 'I won't let it happen again.' Ok which one of you knuckle heads turned me in. I'm giving U a knuckle sandwich after school. Ah, the good old days.

Wow, thanks for the memories. Ran that same type of equipment myself 40 years ago. What fun it was to manufacture parts with such simple machines.

BMW Head Repair

If you like old school machine shops and equipment, you might like this. Some tools, jigs and stuff I machined to fix exhaust port threads on airhead heads.
Picture 240.jpg
Dies I machined to clean up and repair the exhaust port threads. Worked really good on a lot of heads. Quik easy fix. Looking a little rough. Need to clean them up. It's just a little surface rust.
Picture 238.jpg
sometimes the threads were so bad, I machined off the threads and attached these threaded rings. worked really good. I had a lot of success with these.

Attachments

• Picture 239.jpg
    Picture 239.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 190
I would set the head up in an angle plate and slightly clamp them down. The threadsd exhaust port up. At first I would run an indicator in the throut. The port is casted in the manufactoring process. I finally decided a mchined standard attached to the milling head in a chuck was close enough. so I made up the different sizes, if I remember it was three.
Picture 248.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 246.jpg
    Picture 246.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 196
Picture 246.jpg
Picture 247.jpg
Worked really good. Quick location, spot on. When the plug worked evenly up and down thru the port, you zeroed out the X and y axis, you then locked down the table and start reverse boring the threads off. Perfect. Aluminum chips start flying off.

Back when I first started this, I thought I needed some exact size threaded ports made of metal to work with, so i made some standards to do the simple developmental work. A little over kill, but it worked.
Picture 244.jpg
Need to clean them up and oil them down and put them back to storage.
I miss doing simple machine shop jobs. It is nice to be able to fix stuff as needed.

Back