• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Camping out on the Open Range.

Picture 051.jpg
Met this guy at one of the overlooks. 'Were you staying tonight.' He asked. 'I ain't got a clue, I replied. He told me how much campsites were. Yikes. He said free camping on the Open Range so many miles out of Grand Canyon Village. My kinda price, we camped out there under the stars.
Picture 046.jpg
Perfect. He had just retired and this trip from New Mexico to the G.C. was his retirement celebration. All he carried on his little Honda 500 was small bag and a sleeping bag. Just like Bronson. My little tent was like a mansion.

Some where along the ride I stopped at a little park to get some water and arrange my gear. The parking area was full, but no people. I heard a lot of noise, laughter on over the rise. Looked down and saw this.
Picture 050.jpg
Those foks were having a ball in the river?creek?wash? Whatever, they were a great time, ankle deep.. You have your fun where you find it.

Perfect little tour.

Can't remember the exact millage I rode the R50 on the ride, between 500 and 1000 miles, but it was a good riding partner for the trip. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. Fond memories of riding in the deserts, mountains, some snowcapped, gullies, wash's, etc. Great state and people.
:thumb

Forgot to mention. The ride started in Scottsdale and included stops in Wickenburg, Prescott, Cottonwood, Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon Village, and Desert View. And a lot of little stops all along the way to and from. Just a great little ride.

View attachment 55799
The race team had this 'T-shirt' made up of the '53 Lincoln we raced and rallied. This is a replica of the original Lincolns they raced back in the early 50's. They were very successful in the 50's in that series and raced against the best from America and Europe.The races took place in Mexico on public highways. Leo Goff built this car for the team several times. The first time as a mild neat custom street driven car. The second time as a road race car at special racing events. It was about as practical as racing a 'B' John Deere tractor. Leo built the car for the third and last time back in the 90's for a reenactment of those 50's races. The car was driven to victory by the team owner Jimmy Dodds and co driver Rob Walton.
I think it was a great acheivement for the team. Leo Goff being the chief builder, with assistance from Eddie Wilbanks on fabricating a complete true dual exhaust system and Randy McGehee building a custom heavy duty drive train and suspension for that race. The car ran the stock 317.5 cubic inch engine, custom built by Leo Goff just for that race. This was probably one of the supreme moments of success for the team, under Leo Goff's supervision and direction.

A friend of mine used to run that race- Jimmy "Gubbes" Gubleman in the "Tropical Gangsters" Chebby. Black car with yellow checker on the roof....Hailing from Rhode Island.

OM

Car and Motorcycle Transport '92

Picture 052.jpg
Drove this rig out to Scottsdale, Az. from Memphis Tn. and back. I think the car I hauled was '52 Allard. and my '71 R50. Maybe one of the boss's bikes. This rig had a 460ci gas engine. I think a five speed manual gear box with overdrive. Pretty bad ass I thought. Pulling them grades out west allways slowing climbing uphill. I'd have it floored pedal to the metal. I was blowing past a lot of rigs in my size class. Back in my rear view mirror,I mean way back I seen an out fit about my size. Looking back about an hour later, he was gaining on me. Dodge extended cab with a loaded cattle trailor. Finally he caught me. He had a Cummings Turbo Diesel 360 ci. Now that was a real torque monster, outpulled me with ease. When your on a race team, everything is a race.

A friend of mine used to run that race- Jimmy "Gubbes" Gubleman in the "Tropical Gangsters" Chebby. Black car with yellow checker on the roof....Hailing from Rhode Island.

OM

Damn- never know what under the "web" rock-

Windigo.jpg

Any of this look familiar Barry?

OM

Damn- never know what under the "web" rock-

Windigo.jpg

Any of this look familiar Barry?

OM

I don't recognize it. Those cars from '50-'54 had some pretty wild paint schemes. Cadillacs, Hudsons, Lincolns, Buicks, Olds, Studebakers, Packards, other American models ran in that series. They had over the top paint graphics. Our race team also had a Ferrari that was actually raced in the early '50's Carrerra Panamerica race. Bill Vukovich the Indy 500 race winner in I believe '53 and '54 also raced the Lincolns in the Mexican road races back in '53 and '54. Those guys got around to racing all types of cars in all types of racing. I'll try to post a pic of the Ferrari.

I studied that photo in college in more ways than one. Photography was my major for all of 1.5 years. I haven't seen that image since the 80's
Classic graphics, I believe it's a study in curves and shapes. Perfect curves and shapes. I can't even draw a straight line. I like curves much better, anyway.:)

My '71 R50/5 was very competitive in the slow race. I could outrun any stock R50/2, but a stock R60/2 was a hand full. :thumb

Ivory- Billed Wodpecker T Shirt

Picture 059.jpg
The Naturally Beemers have had many T shirt designs over the years. My only contribution was suggesting useing the woodpecker on one. It did make it one year, with this T. I was glad to see the bird riding a BMW; I think the last time they were seen many years ago they were riding Indian 4's.

BMW of Daytona /1977 R100RS Display

Picture 054.jpg
Picture 055.jpg
This BMW R100RS was on display at the dealership back in the 2000's. I'm pointing at the heads on the engine. I had rebuilt them for the dealership for this bike. A couple of years before that, I was in the dealership during Bike Week. The place was a mad house due to all the bike week activities. Anyway I took a set of heads in and got an audience with the head tech. He really liked my work and was pretty impressed. I told him I could do the same for him. I told a few of my friends what I did; man, you'll never get any work from them. Back from that bike week a couple of months later got a call from the head tech, they were going to give me a try.They shipped me a set of heads. Got that set and and then a pretty good stream of heads from them. The R100RS being one of them. My work was on display, well kinda sort of. :thumb

Working at the Truck Wash

Everybody, who saw us at the Vintage Races thought we had it too easy. Our pit wasn't the usual frenzy of activity like a lot of the car pits. sittin around visiting with all the racing greats, lifestyle of the rich and famous. Ran across these pics back at the shop in the mid ninties.
Picture 060.jpg
Picture 062.jpg
Leo, the team manager.

Picture 061.jpg
Picture 063.jpg
Yous Truely, Working on high. The boss gotta kick outa coming by and seeing us scrubbing away. The Freightliner was was a pretty cool auto hauler. We raced coast to coast, and it was actually a pretty nice way to travel. It was one of the longest straight trucks I have seen on the hiway. Listening on the CB, A lot of the truckers commented on it when they saw it. But, it being a straight truck, could make it a handfull to manuever in some situations. I still run the hiways, and I occasionally see it on the road.

In the Race Pits

Picture 068.jpg
The '32B Ford and Ol Yeller #7; Ol Yeller was one of my favorite race cars. We raced it, rallied it, and drove it on the street. On the street we had a set of slightly quieter mufflers. In Bartlett, Tn. pulled us over and gave us a ticket for driving a race car on the street. Judge threw it out. We had all the proper paperwork and the car had all the appointments a street would need. Headlights, tail lights, turn signals, tags, etc. Liked driving it on the street, real attention getter.

Picture 069.jpg
Ol Yeller in the pits at arace. Boss decided he was thru with the car. Left it in Scottsdale, Az. to be sold.
Picture 073.jpg
Picture 072.jpg
Sad Day. This was back in the 90's. I think the car has been rebuilt and rebodied a couple times since. Wish I had a quarter million dollors laying around to buy it. Oh well.

Back