• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Picture 246.jpg
Picture 247.jpg
Looks like I've got 2 kits. I will go thru everything again. I need a emergency health kit, another small mag lite of some type, electical tape, duck tape. On some bikes I need to carry spare tubes, patch kit. If I do a good job of bike maintenence and preperation, I shouldn't need to have use of most of this stuff. Then again.........

Back in the late 80's I was riding my "74 R90 on a wing and a prayer. I did a fair amount of maintenance on the bike, but I kept having issues on the road. My maintenance was not keeping up to the amount of riding I was doing. I stopped and did a pretty complete economy rebuild on the bike. Took about 6 months Then rode the bike 30,000 miles with no issues. Moved on to other more modern bikes. Anyway, I helped a few other guys set up their touring kits. One thing they usually brought up was they were totally inept at anything mechanical. I explained to them most of the common problems that inept riders run into and ways to address those problems. Hopefully, if a problem arose they couldn't deal with, if someone offered help, they would have enough tools and supplies for that person to complete the repair or fix. One thing that always surprised me were riders who didn't carry their owners manual. That manual has a lot of info on common maintenance issues pertinent to that bike. I keep it with my current Anonymous.

'87 K100 side cover fox

I've been slowly freshening up my K100. Converting it from RT to T. Early K100's and K75's had 3 attachment points to hold them on the bike. 2 of them were easily broken. I've done several fixes. Made the little hook piece out of aluminum. JB welded little pins in. Both pieces are plastic and formed into the side plastic cover when maufactured. Everone who rode these early K's broke these and did similar fixxes.

Broken pin

Picture 262.jpg
These pins broke off. Pretty common break.
Picture 261.jpg
This one has broken off for a second time. Will find a pin and JB weld it in.

Side Cover/Fuse Panel Text

Years ago I saw this little trick. Some one had listed the fuse panel diagram on the inside of the side cover. I liked and copied the idea, much easier to read. The text on the fuse panel is small and mostly in German. Easy to read large text in English on iside side cover; perfect.:thumb
Picture 254.jpg
Picture 255.jpg
I guess I need to learn German. I know one word. BMW

Nice work but why is that Christmas tree stand still out?

My back yard doubles as a semi scrap yard. Junk yard. Pretty patheic, really. I picked that stand up down the street at a recently moved out rental house. For some reason I havn't hauled it off. I guess In the back of my mind I'll donate to a down and out family who kids need a Christmas tree and holder. Under my gruff humourless exterior, I'm a real softie with a heart of gold. :)

Shake Rag/III/ Store/Bar/Grill

Shake Rag is back in full swing. This is a well known bike/motorcycle destination outside of Millington,Tn. 8902 Rankin Branch RD.,at the corner of West Union. I think the hours are 11:00am to 10:00pm. Call to confirm. 901 876 5255. From Memphis take Highway 51 North to Millington. Go through Millington, on the north side look for West Union Av. on the left. Go west several miles till you see Rankin Branch on the left that dead ends into Wesr Union. You've found Shage Rag III. You will pass Quito Rd. and Shake Rag Road on the ride. I've been going here fore 30 years. All bikes are welcome. Pastoral country setting. Many of the riders include old Millington Winery, Shelby Forrest Store, and the Shelby Forrest Mississippi river overlook on their ride. Sunday is the usual bike day ride for the locals. Music most Sunday afternoons. No intrance fee. So if your in the MidSouth or Memphis, Tn. It's a nice day ride to the country. shakeragbarandgrill.com
Picture 267.jpg
Picture 266.jpg
Picture 270.jpg

Picture 264.jpg
Saw 2 Beemers at the Rag, this R1100 and my buddy Steve Price on his R100. Forgot to take a pic. of him and his bike.

1992 Daytona Bike Week/Bulowville

Went to Daytona and Belowville every year 1990-99. Allways had a good time and met people that I still see occasionally. Back in '92 I rode the old R90 down. Did my usual runs to downtown Daytona to the track and Main St.. Middle of the week I would take off and stay local and head to Finnigans Bar. On the corner of 100 and A1A. Kinda across from the Pier. It was a Harley biker hangout. Got their and found two old road worthy Airheads parked outside between all the brand X bikes. They had Bulow stickers on the windshields. Yep, got some company; went in and met Chico and Bill. Bikers on Beemers. Place was packed. We had a couple of rounds, told a few jokes, havin a big time. The lady bartender had tattoos from head to toe. Tattoody was a great gal. Chico, Bill, and I were going strong, like we were long time buds. Tatoody set up a round of Harley Daytona 1992 beers. On the house guys, Y'all are the life of the party. Gave her a hearty THANX, Chico and bill were reaching for their cans of beer, but I beat'em to the punch, I reach out and pulled their beers over to me and ordered another round. Took our free beers out and put'em on our bikes. Souvenirs Guys, They were game. Anyway ever once in a while I run across my free Harley beer back in closet. Ran back into Chico at the Lima National. He looked exactly the same only a little more grey in the hair. My beard was gone, he didn't recognize me. Chico, you still got your free Harley Beer from Daytona. BARRY! Yea Man!.Typical Man Dude reunion, back slaps and hand shakes. Every trip to Daytona and Bulow had a different story. Wrong pic. :scratch

Attachments

• Picture 801.jpg
    Picture 801.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 190
Back