• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Another Barback

Picture 142.jpg
Picture 144.jpg
Just picked this bike up and it had this bar back. The tank was somewhat dinged up and scraped. So All I can say is if you run these devices be careful on tank removal and install. I hate seeing all those scrapes and dings on the tank.This particular looks like it has a mounting point for aftermarket stuff.

Still disgusted about my K100 fiasco. A buddy is going to bring his K Brick over. I'll remove the gas cap assembly and check all the gas lines hook ups and make sure mine are correctly fitted. Oh well onward and upward.

Got out and hauled some freight over to Topeka, Kansas, think I'll head over to Engel's BMW and look around. Time to pick up a new T, patch, or pin. :)

No XL No Sell

Had nice visit. Walked around the apparel dept. they had a really neat T with a cool back all about Route 66 and Tulsa. Looked thru the pile; all s, m, xxxl the usual. No XL's. Saw some on display up front, all small or medium. No XL No sell. Took a pic, I'll get it posted. I got to many T's anyway. Nice folks though.

I'm just out hauling freight. Started this mourning in Davenport, Ia. Picked up freight in Peosta,Iowa. Delivered in Columbus, Indiana. May get the chance tomorrow to visit the BMW dealer in Indianapolis. If they leave me alone. :dunno

Nope on going to the dealer in Indy, just picked up a load and headed to Salem, Va. Ok Roanoke Valley BMW it is. That dealer must have changed. Guess I'll find out when I there. I love a mystery.:scratch

Just as I was passing BMW of Louisville, got a message from dispatch. Delivery put back till in the mourning. U turn back to BMW of Louisville. Had a nice visit. Saw some new models. Really it was old models with new paint. New bikes are cool, just to pricey for my pocketbook.

I've been over to Frontline BMW a couple of times, yesterday and today. Went over today with my buddy David Adams to pick up some parts; brake pads really. Yesterday, David fixed a '88 R100RT. Replaced the clutch cable. Cable broke due to the lever bushing being totally worn out to a elongated oval shape. It allowed the lever to move around in the lever and put the cable in a pinch, then it would break causing total failure. Good job, David.

I forgot to mention that the repair was made by replacing the bushing. New levers have the new bushing already in place. If you have access to a lathe a bushing could easily be drilled, reamed turned down to fit. Bushings can be had thru the BMW parts dept.

Salem House Restaurant

If your in the Salem/Roanoke area, I highly recommend this restaurant. Nice, quaint, and casual. It's in an old historical building. Good food; I've been several times for lunch. I do the buffet. 311 W. Main St., Salem, Va. 540 389 0155 :thumb

I'm still smarting on the bad running K-bike. Ran across a box of air head bar backs. They looked kind of neat. I generally don't run bar backs on my bikes and remove them from bikes I buy. I'm tall with long arms so I really don't need them. But those that like them or those who are short and need help reaching the bars, great. thought I would show them. Some I had never seen before. The ones I usually see look like a stick of butter. the problem with these is they usually ding up or scrape the tank on removal or install.
View attachment 54872
Stock set up on a R80/7
View attachment 54874
Being a machinist by trade, I didn't know there were so many different types. Kinda neat really.
Chances are you remember machining a piece like the risers having a couple of pairs of calipers handy :)
Now you can load the billets in and finished product comes out. Some of the CNC machines are FM. I used to attend a show called EASTEC- http://www.easteconline.com/about/about-eastec/ The show got a bit confuzzled due to the high cost of the venue. It was the most professional machining show (actually any show), that I have ever attended.
Gary

In Memphis the most high paying CNC jobs are in the medical field, Orthopedic implants and tools. My buddy Ron, who was featured earlier in this thread building car engines is one of the best. He may get back into it. If he does, I may get back into it to get the chance to work with him. Probably the best machinist I ever worked with.

Job Shop Machinist

Back when I was a general job shop machinist, I machined out plenty of parts like this as one offs or short run. A machinist has his hand tools, but you need milling machine, lathe, drill press, cut off saw, up right band saw, surface grinder, etc to do a good complete job. At the moment I don't have handy access to such machines. Really pretty sad to be able to use those machines effectively, but none available for use. Kinda sad for me. Oh well

BMW Motorcycles of Alcoa, Tn.

Just had my first visit to the BMW dealer in Alcoa,Tn.; just outside of Knoxville. Alcoa Good Times. Looks like a nice place, will post some pics later. Happy mothering. :thumb

Yes, happy mothering or happy motoring, which ever fits. Or both if that works. I support mothers, but where did that come from. :dunno

David Adams/ BMW Tech/ Lumber Jack

Delivered a freight load in Salem, Va., then went over to see a buddy of mine out in the wilderness, Log cabins, mountains, timber, and BMW motorcycles.

David Felling a Tree

Picture 203.jpg
Picture 204.jpg
Picture 205.jpg
David did short on a stand of trees in the back yard. I was impressed. Neat to watch someone who knows what their doing. :thumb

Splitting Logs

Picture 180.jpg
Picture 181.jpg
Picture 186.jpg
David, You the Man. A regular Paul Bunyan. David had just rebuilt his log splitter. He replaced the old Briggs&Stratton engine with a Honda. turned into a little more job than he planned on, but a old machinist he calls the wizard stepped in and did the deal. Good to have friends that can do the deal.

Picture 187.jpgPicture 184.jpg The end result was plenty of fire wood to get thru the winter 2017. Ricks and cords of wood. I don't know, David does, he knows how much he needs to make it thru the winter.

Back