• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Front Aiirhead Stand

Picture 783.jpg
Picture 784.jpg
Aftermarket stand for airheads. Seen ads of these in old motorcycle mags from the 70's and 80's. I think one company was located in Texas and maybe one in California. Kinda odd, wouldn't have a clue how to deploy or retract it. I can say that it is heavy. Deployed it looks like it would hold the bike up right in a stable fashion. Probably just another oddball devise from the past.

Ride Eat Meet

Can't believe I'm actually posting a Ride, Eat, and Meet. Got a message from Larry Craig inviting the BMWRAMS to meet for breakfast Saturday Mourning Jan.30 at the Arcade Restaurant at 540 South Main Memphis Tn. Larry and his wife Teresa will be riding in from Atoka, Tn. The arcade is a famous old restaurant across the street from the old Grand Union Station from railroading days. Weather looks good. :thumb

Hippo Hands

Back when I started riding in the mid 80's I would see a few riders with these at Fall and Spring rallies. Most had rode down from the Great Lakes states, cold country. Most were pretty hardcore riders and they new all the old school tricks to stay warm. Not electrics to run down the weak electrical systems.
Picture 785.jpg
Picture 786.jpg
They slipped over the handle bars and your hands slipped up inside and kept warm. The slot with the snaps is for rear view mirrors. I used to see ads in old Butler and Smith catalogs for stuff like this. JC Whitney catalogs had ads for stuff like this, too. Old school all the way, neat.

Arcade Restaurant/Central Station

Picture 794.jpg
This was probably one of the busiest places in Memphis up till about 1960. Really before my time. My family drove over to Memphis in 1965 from Hot Springs, Ar..The trip across Arkansas and visit to Memphis was really something else.

Picture 799.jpgPicture 798.jpg
/5 seat pan recovered probably 40 years ago. A proud owner wearing polyester pants, cowboy boots, t-shirt had this seat recovered and thought it was the cat's meow. I shudder to think what the rest of the poor bike looked like.

K100 starting issue

Picture 797.jpg
Battery wouldn't take a charge. Bike hasn't been tagged since 2013. I've been charging it up and running it a few times a year. Guess the battery has given out. Brought the van around and with jumper cables it started right up. Let it run for a a long enough time to take a charge. Pulled the ground off the van and the bike died. Time for a battery.

Picture 801.jpg
I've been accumulating parts for a while. Just about got enough stuff do the deal. Got the standard windshield set, spot lamp kit, good set of BMW system 3 saddle bags. Damaged my left crash bar, gotta find a good left one or a complete set. I like to stretch my legs out from time to time. Mainly on interstates. I hated doing this on the bike with the RT fairing. Just odd. That fairing was hard on my knees, I'm 6'2" with 35' in inseams. Can't wait to get this bike to gather and start riding. I guess I can call it a K100T. I think the bike has about 50,000 miles on the OD, so I probably only have about 300,000 miles left. Will feel good to ride to some rallies, and join the old curmudgeons at the campfire. It's where I belong. :thumb

I've got quite a few other pieces for the bike and the bike will get a series 2 service. Think about adding the updated stainless braided brake lines. Will reinstall The K-Tail-2 tail light. Old school up grade. If I remember correctly it doubles the running tail area and triples the brake light area. Or vice verses.

Progressive Suspension 420 shock

Was looking at the shock, appears a little withered. The bumper is crumbling and dry rotted. I need to have it rebuilt or get a new shock. Come to think of it, it's probably 20 years old.

Trueing/Cleaning Stand

I recently inherited a truing stand. Had a Lester wheel handy, so I mounted it up and it checked pretty true. Got some cleaning supplies out and gave the wheel a cursory cleaning.
Picture 802.jpg
Picture 803.jpg
Picture 804.jpg
Looks like both wheels will clean up ok and be serviceable wheels. The valve stem hole has been drilled for a tubeless valve stem. The drive spline has been changed out and a new one installed with bolts not brads. I did the same thing to a spoke wheel years ago. Ran it 30 thousand miles no problem. I've been wanting to build a touring scrambler to run the Ozarks of Arkansas. I've got a couple of old airheads that might serve the purpose. These wheels may be part of the project. Not a hardcore GS, but a rough and ready bike able to handle a lot of gravel roads. I've done the same thing on my RT and RS and I'm tired of that.

Back in 2011, I rode my then K100RT over to Batesville, Ar. to my 40 year high school class reunion. Had a slow speed tip over on a curb. Damaged my left crash bar.;the bar gave it's life up protecting the bike. The only other damage was my ego. Anyway I needed a new left bar. I just got a stash of parts from an old buddy of mine and a used set turned up in that.
Picture 805.jpg
Picture 806.jpg
Slightly scuffed up; but repairable. On long trip my legs become stiff and the bars give a good point to mount hi-way pegs for stretching the legs. I've got a neat set of pegs that Bob's BMW sold back in the day, They mount in the top hole on the bars, kinda neat. Parts accumulation for the K100T project is moving along.

Super Bowl Party Tonight

Ride Eat Meet Party
Super Bowl party tonight. Bob And Janet Kelly's 9469 Plantation Way Lane Germantown,Tn. 3:00 Motorcycle Ride 4:00 till game Pot Luck Dinner Party
The BMWRAMS, the Old Bike Club, the Motorclassics, and any of the BMWMOA members that see this are invited. Bring a covered dish, but if you don't , don't worry about it, there will be so much food. Eat till you can't. :bar

My buddy Ron drove over to get some miles on his engine for breakin. It started as a 305 smog motor, now it's got hydraulic roller rockers. Pocket ported Vortec heads, Eldobrock Performer RPM Intake, Eldobrock 750 cfm carb., Headman headers, 21/4 dual exhaust with balance pipe. Aluminum radiator. Ron's all smiles. I've been building stuff for everybody else, it's my turn. Ron's all smiles.

Just did a little research on the paint of my '87 K100RT. The number under the seat on the rear fender 616 is the paint scheme and the paint code is 204. Info off of Phil's BM bikes out of England. Columbia Silver. I was just going to to use some parts that had a silver grey paint scheme. I think Madison grey. My buddy Marshall insisted I paint it properly. He has a lot of the original paint and he thinks he has the Columbia Silver. Painting, ain't my forte or 'thang' in Arkansas parlance. I'm a little more into what makes it go down the road. I guess it's good to have friends who want me to do it right. Another buddy is helping me with a rear solo shock, looks like it's going to be a Hagon. 'Hail to the Queen.' :)

Watching Fast & Loud, Gas Monkey Garage. Their building some custom bikes. One's a /5, and the builder did one good thing and ditched the Windslammer. Then he said the fender was big and ugly. He took a power hacksaw and proceeded to cut it up. This could get interesting or very sad. :dunno

Just watched them Monkeys throw about $500 worth of BMW accessories into a dumpster. Ouch! Guess I'm headed to Texas and finding that dumpster.

Back