• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Funny stuff

Back when I was stripping the old varnish off, I was having a hard time getting up into the crevise's and cleaning them out. We had a nice display of a turn of the century dental office, 1900 era. Went over and checked it out. Found some nice dental pics. Just what I needed. Took 3, if I remember correctly. Mainly used one and it worked like a champ. When the desk project was over , I cleaned them up and carefully returned them to the dental office,. No harm no foul. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Indiana Jones Kinda Sorta

Another job I had there was going all over Arkansas and picking up artifacts donated to the museum. Met some nice folks. Was talking to one of the full time employees about getting all that stuff. She set me straight, most of it was junk. So I went from Indiana Jones to junk collecter. Well It all paid the same, not much. Another job I had was dissasembly of the displays. The museum was moving to the new facility; where it is now. the whole facility was packed away for about three years till the new one was ready. So I got to handle most all of the real artifacts, which I thought was great. All the war displays, guns, uniforms, swords etc. kindof exciting. And a lot of the not so interesting stuff, you know kitchen china and that stuff. Just kidding.

No Saving Private Beauregard

The museum had some pretty big displays on Arkansas in the Civil War. This display got a lot of attention. Weapons, uniforms, flags etc. At the bottom of the display was a stack of letters. All I could read was the top letter. When it came time to open the display to be packed a way, everone was excited about getting to handle the neat stuff. I was going to be able to read those letters. It was letters between members of a family who owned large plantations in Mississippi and Arkansas. The boys were all attending what would become Ol Miss University in Oxford. I think there were four of them. They joined the Confederate Army and served together in the same unit. One died from disease before the Battle of Shiloh, one died at Sholoh, Another died I think at Stones's River. The last one died in the Gettysburg Campaign. Reading those letters between family members was a really sad experience. Writing home to Mom and Dad and telling about their children dying was terrible. When the letters ceased, I was left to try to figure it out. Dr. Whitlake explained the details. The family lost all their sons, so devastating. Freedom comes at a very high price. Many thanks to those who serve to keep us free.

Soldier playing the flute

Picture 637.jpg
Picture 638.jpg
Sorry about being disorganized, but I did find a picture of that man playing the flute at Fort Ticonderoga. When he was playing that flute I felt I was back in 1776. Loved it,

Thanks

Barry,

After seeing your thread grow on an almost daily basis for a long time, I went back and looked at the whole thing one day. I had looked at the first few pages a while back, and regret not checking regularly. What I thought had started off as an occasional southern BBQ location finder has evolved into so much more. From initially not seeing much personal value, I am enjoying the entertainment value and perspective that you share. I have even been to several of the locations you post about. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post here. Well done! :thumb

Fort Ticonderoga and Lake Champlain, home of many an epic battle of the French and Indian wars of the 1750's led on the continental side by the father of the modern day Rangers, LTC Robert Rogers. Much more detail than that, in the history books, just wanted a one linner shout out to Rogers.

Bob, you must like mass confusion, disorganized context , bad spelling and punctuation. I appreciate your kind words. PS I think BMW Cruisers are cool.

Ranger, I grew up out in the country on gravel roads. Every two weeks, we had a book mobile that came to a general store a couple miles down the road, uphill both ways. I was on my bicycle right on time to meet it. Got my 5 hand picked books. In two days, all were read. I would reread them a couple of more times the next 2 weeks. By the middle of summer the driver knew everthing about me. He pulled me over on one of the visits, Barry; we're increasing your allotment to 10 books. No way; Yes,we are. In those books I traveled all through time and space. The horizons were endless. Marching with the Roman Legions, sailing with the Vikings, beating the British Army at Fort Ticonderoga. Getting the chance to see it was a thrill for me. Riding a bicycle and reading about was good, riding my BMW and seeing it in person was even better. I'm a kid who never grew up. Barry :)

Used to ride a little. Rode out to the Missoula national , I think '98.
Picture 639.jpg
Coming back, my bikes had some issues. On the way home I stopped into Grass Roots BMW in Cape Geradeau, Mo.. Mainly to talk to Dave Bork the head tech. Diagnosis, Clutch was gone, common to this bike. Dave gave a short discription of the procedure. OMG, Yikes, OMG again. Break the bike into and install clutch. OMG again. Thanked Dave again and rode home. OMG. :dunno:hungover:scratch

Picture 646.jpg
Back to this. Oil head complex by design. Actually I have really enjoyed the bike for the most part. I think it's one of the prettier oilheads. 90 HP is probably about the amount of power I need. Then again maybe it's time for a S1000XR or a new R9T Scrambler.:)

Garfield/Christmas mourning

Picture 647.jpg
Garefield PLEASE. Wakeup and get out of the sink. I need to make coffe. :dunno Cats Ya gotta love em.

Not really. I kinda thought about turning the fauset on him, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. As cats go, he's a good old soul. He never ceases to amaze or entertain me. I had a cockatial years ago. Albert was a nice bird, he ran lose in the house. I had a beam set up in one corner of the house with pegs going to the ceiling. It was his domain. He was a good pet.

Speaking of good ole souls on Christmas.

image.jpg

When I married Rhonda I inherited Sanders, that cat took to me right away. He's the very best cat I have ever known. I found a lump under his chin on Valentine's Day, coming up on three years now. We had to put him down two days later. I still miss him. I just spoil Ellie now.

Jim Bartlett/Echidna

Picture 650.jpg
Picture 649.jpg
Thought I would post some pics of the drivers and cars we raced with. Jim and his Echidna. Car was fast powered by a small block Chevy. Jim was a good driver and his cars were allways immaculate and well maintained by his tech guy, Dave. If I remember correctly. Great people to hang out in the pit with. Loved the looks of that car. I like front engined cars with small block American V8 power.

Back