• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

1955 Maserati A6GCS Info

A little info on the car. A6 Alfieri (Maserati) 6 cylinders, G 'Ghisa' Cast iron engine block, CS 'Corsa Sport' 2000cc 170hp. About 125mph top speed Probably about 60 were built in various trim and body styles. I think this style has a nice clean body with great proportions. These cars were almost hand built with ongoing changes to each different car to meet customer preferences. No two cars were exactly the same. These cars are highly desireable and I think they bring $1 million plus went they change hands. These cars were built '53-'55

a couple more.

Picture 520.jpg
Picture 521.jpg
Nice fron every angle. Perfect car for high end vintage racing. It's a little out of my price range.

Picture 505.jpg
Picture 506.jpg
Picture 508.jpg
The real thrill is seeing these type of cars on the track at speed and hearing them at speed. Kinda blurry. I plan to have these pics digitized for better viewing.

'92 Copper State 1000

This race team did a lot of vintage car rallies along with vintage road racing. In Az. running from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon down to Tombstone and back to Phoenix. I followed along on my R50/5 and had a great ride. The Kurtis is a really exceptional car. One of about 10 or 12 built. This one runs a 331 Cadillac V8, their first OHV V8. I beleive the original engine was a Ford flathead V8. I got to help on the resto of the car. The car came to us in pretty good shape. Basically not wreaked. On dissasembly I found L.A. newspapers wadded up and stuff in the door panals and body for sound deadening and insulation. I spread it open and the front page with the head line MacArthur invades Inchon, North Korea. Car was basically untouched since built other than the engine swap.

One of the 12 built was taken to Bonneville Salt Flats and ran a land speed record of 149 mph back in '49. I drove this car several years later in the New England 1000. If it ran 100 MPH, I would have been totally red neck skeered. To me the car was only good for local car cruiseins, it handled like any 1949 American car. Cool car to look at, though.

While they were doing the Copper State in '92, I basically ran the same trip on my '71 R50/5 and had a ride of a life time. I'll try to post pics on that. I had a blast.

Kurtis Sport

Picture 529.jpg
Me at the wheel. Drove it about 100 miles then handed it off to the boss. It was fun and not so fun. Hangin with the Rich and Famous. Had a billionaire boss, a millionaire girlfreind, but most importantly, my '74 BMW R90/6. The billionaire and millionaire are long gone, but I still got my trusty R90. :)

Vermont , New England

Picture 540.jpg
Mount Mansfield CLOSED
Picture 541.jpg
Found a cheap motel for the night. Neat old Ford convertible. Maybe a '50. Good to get away from all the car posers. Enjoyed the ride around Lake Champlain. Beautiful scenery and friendly folks. Everyone loved my southern accent, They didn't buy it that I was from Pa.. I don't have an accent, I speak American with the best of them.

1700's

It just dawned on me. The period soldier sitting on the bench 3 posts up at the fort has a music pipe or flute in his hand. He was playing it while I toured the fort. He sounded excellent playing it. That music gave the tour a real since of the mid 1700's feel. It just kinda came back to me. Neat.

Riding to see history

When I was riding my bike up in Vermont and New York, I knew where I was heading. Anything on Lake Champlain connected to history. The French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War. I like that stuff. Fort Ticonderoga for example. On another ride years ago I rode with a group to DuQuoin, Il. to watch the motorcycle grand national dirt tract race. The Magic Mile. Riding home, we stopped in Clinton, Kentucky for lunch. I saw a sign about Civill War Battle of Columbas, Ky.. It was about 5 miles down to the site on the Mississippi River. Leaving the restauraunt, I told the group I was leaving the group to go see it. I had to see the famous anchor and chain used to blockade the river. One by one the other riders wanted to go see it. One was really mad about it. that kinda taught me about group rides. Now I ride a lot by myself so I don't mess up the group ride. I ride to see stuff, mountains, high points/low points , river overlooks, historical sites, museums, now ya know.

Arkansas State University Museum

ASU is in Jonesboro, AR.. I'm a '77 graduate. Worked at the meseum a few years. One of my jobs was to restore the plantation roll top desk. Dr. and Mrs. Witlake ran the place. The old museum was down in the basement of the old library, and it was a little like a Ripley's Believe it or not Meseum. Anyway one of my first jobs was to redo the desk. I worked on it part time here and there and finished it at the end of the semester. I think it was '73 or '74. The Universiity now has new museum and I rode up there the some time back to see it. GPicture 626.jpgot to see the desk again.

I photo shopped my pic for a better look. They don't allow picture taking in there, I talked a poor unknowing visator into doing the illegal act. I laugh to my self about redoing that desk. The museum at that time was down in the basement of the old library. Where I did the work was a small room in the back, almost like a cave. Turned out pretty good. The staff was pretty impressed that I saw it thru. I'm usually a good finisher. The museum is a nice stop if your ever in Jonesboro or Arkansas State University.

Back