Page 287 of 294 FirstFirst ... 187 237 277 285 286 287 288 289 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,305 of 4399

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Attachment 58360
    Attachment 58361
    We warned our driver to stay clear of him. That afternoon's practice session he hit the retainer wall at about 100 mph, killed on impact. They helicoptered him out. We warned him. I don't think anyone else warned or cautioned him. I'm glad we ran a safe racing operation. But Allards make a cool car to take to vintage car night. Thx for the memories Leo, lots of good safe memories of cars and bikes.
    Leo warned this guy after the first/mourning practice to slow down to maintain control of the car. He didnít take it serious and it cost him his life in a crash in the afternoon practice session. I learned, when Leo talks, best to listen.

Leo Builds Some Really Obscure Cars and Bikes

I know, Y'all know I like cool cars. Every time I see one on the road, I post pics. Any way, I ran across some old pics from the time Leo Goff and I were connected to a vintage car racing and rally team back in the 1990's. I've mentioned that Leo had built a lot of different types of cars, motorcycles, boats, just about anything with an engine, foreign or domestic. I mean some really off the wall stuff. Stuff I had never heard of. Thought Ya'll might like to see a little of the process. Wish I had taken a few more pics, never thought I would be posting on the internet. Did'nt know anything about it back then.
    I mean obscure, rare one off stuff.

Kurtis Sport Car

I was over at the shop one day and got a call from the boss, Barry there's a new car showing up at the shop this week. He gave me the car hauling company, tele. number. Be at the shop for delivery. No problem. By the way what is it? Nothing surprised me any more. It's a 1950 Kurtis Sport Car. OK, cool, Gotcha covered. Hung up, what's a Kurtis?
    The car haulers showed up right on time a few days later unloaded the car. What in the world is this? Got it situated, then Leo calls. How's it look Barry? Well, Leo; it looks like a Kurtis Sport Car. I really did'nt know what to think about. I'll be over in couple days to look at it. 10-4 Good Buddy. . Leo, showed up a few days later with some tools and checked her out. Oh, Barry it's totally cool. We popped the hood, it had a 331ci Caddy V8. In about 30 minutes Leo had the carb off. I'm going to rebuild the carb, when I come back I'll reinstall it., drain the old rotten gas, fill it with fresh gas, add a battery and check the brakes. Let's go get some lunch. Ah, lunch with Leo; always an adventure in fine cuisine.
    Really, I didnít know anything about a Kurtis Car. Nobody I knew ever heard of this car. Kurtis? Cool; Iíll take your word on that.

This was back before I had a computer, laptop, tablet, smart phone. Jimmy had an extensive collection of car and motorcycle books. Checked the car books out. Found a few small pics of odd looking cars. Nothing like what we had.

Yes, thatís the one. Iíll try to post some pics now.

Yes, that's it. No two were exactly built the same. And over the years with different owners they continually changed and modified the car and engine and transmissions etc. Kinda cool for car shows and short drives. They handle like late forties and early 50's American cars. Not that sporty.

Doing school stuff, maybe tomorrow. Iím whipped.

Leo-Kurtis Sportcar

I know, Y'all know I like cool cars. Every time I see one on the road, I post pics. Any way, I ran across some old pics from the time Leo Goff and I were connected to a vintage car racing and rally team back in the 1990's. I've mentioned that Leo had built a lot of different types of cars, motorcycles, boats, just about anything with an engine, foreign or domestic. I mean some really off the wall stuff. Stuff I had never heard of. Thought Ya'll might like to see a little of the process. Wish I had taken a few more pics, never thought I would be posting on the internet. Did'nt know anything about it back then.
    Leoís has built a lot of different vehicles with complete success.

Kurtis Continued

I was over at the shop one day and got a call from the boss, Barry there's a new car showing up at the shop this week. He gave me the car hauling company, tele. number. Be at the shop for delivery. No problem. By the way what is it? Nothing surprised me any more. It's a 1950 Kurtis Sport Car. OK, cool, Gotcha covered. Hung up, what's a Kurtis?
    The car haulers showed up right on time a few days later unloaded the car. What in the world is this? Got it situated, then Leo calls. How's it look Barry? Well, Leo; it looks like a Kurtis Sport Car. I really did'nt know what to think about. I'll be over in couple days to look at it. 10-4 Good Buddy. . Leo, showed up a few days later with some tools and checked her out. Oh, Barry it's totally cool. We popped the hood, it had a 331ci Caddy V8. In about 30 minutes Leo had the carb off. I'm going to rebuild the carb, when I come back I'll reinstall it., drain the old rotten gas, fill it with fresh gas, add a battery and check the brakes. Let's go get some lunch. Ah, lunch with Leo; always an adventure in fine cuisine.
    Watched and helped Leo service the car.

Right on schedule, Leo was back, carb in hand. We drained the gas, added fresh, Leo hooked up, and installed a fresh battery. Pumped the pedal a few times and that little engine barked a few times then pretty much kinda ran. Leo then set the timing and got it running half way decent. I was impressed. Be back tomorrow Barry to check out the brakes, if they kinda work, we're taking it for a spin. What? Leo was smiling ear to ear as he left. We're driving this tomorrow, Oh my.
    I couldnít wait, pretty excited.

Leo was back at the shop the next morning with some brake stuff. We got the car jacked up on all four corners. Leo was sliding under on the dolly. He barely fit, but it was just high enough. With me assisting, we got the brakes half ass working. We set the car back down and added air to the tires. Barry go find some thing for us to sit on, we're hitting the road. I came back with some milk crates set up front and folded up a couple towels on top, deluxe bucket seats. . Leo was laughin and smilin. Let's go and we were off on the trial run.
    Just about ready to drive.

Cool story, I'm really gettin into it and I was there over 20 years ago. We were cruisen around Memphis, car didn't run half bad, it smoked a little. Leo would look over at me from time to time, all smiles, giving me a thumbs up. Top down, it really didn't have a top to put up. We had our arms hanging out. All the other drivers were looking us all over, smiling and pointing. I could see them mouthing, what the hell is that car. But they liked it none the less. Off to a restaurant for lunch. Leo was, this is one really cool car. No doubt, Leo. Back to the shop, the resto was a go.
    The story continues.

Some time later, the resto was on. Leo came over and pulled the engine and tranny, it was happening. Over at Leo's shop Leo rebuilt the engine.
    Attachment 67090
    Looking good Leo. Hard to believe all the cars and motorcycles that were serviced, built, restored here. Engine was coming togather.
    Attachment 67091
    Attachment 67092
    Looking good Leo. Cadillac's first ohv V8. Pretty crude, but a step up from flat-heads.
    The Cadillac was 331ci. Kinda crude and cool at the same time.

While Leo was engine and transmission building, I started gutting the cockpit. A lot of it was already removed. Did what I could. It was really simple stuff, but I wasn't sure of myself. I felt like a lot of it was one off stuff, didn't want to destroy anything. Moved on to the trunk. Pretty simple stuff, I could handle it. It was actually in pretty good shape. Getting the carpet and panels out. There was something stuffed up inside the crevasses. Old dried yellowed newspapers wadded up in balls. Took my time carefully removing them. Some were in pretty good shape. I wasn't planning on saving them, but they were readable. These Kurtis cars were were assembled in Los Angeles. These were L.A. Newspapers. I could read the front page of one day's paper. McArthur invades Inchon, North Korea. The Korean War was in full swing. Well this car was really in original condition, it hadn't been messed with. Those guys putting this car togather, were sitting their one mourning having coffee at the table, thinking we need insulation. They grabbed up all the newspapers laying around the shop and stuff them in there. I really thought that was cool.
    Old newspapers used as sound deadening.