• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

The Instrument Dash

30105553-0752-4CA2-8A39-2824B2DA5873.jpeg
I like the instruments, big. Easy to see and read. Idiot lights are also large and easy to see.

Two accessory toggle switches, not used. Would be useful for heated grips and 4-way flashers. A lot of times I leave mid day when it’s warm; head home after it’s dark and cool. Usually wearing lighter gloves, warm grips would be nice for that 30 mile trip home. 4-way flashers are handy in emergency situations
8647FF69-AEB8-4DC2-8F61-8046CB5EF2A8.jpeg
Empty toggle housing.

Need to pull the front cover for an inspection of those components. May need to beef up some of those systems. Also, need to pull the top cover of the engine to inspect the starter. If it’s a Bosch unit with glued magnets, any problems and it’ll be ditched for the Nippondenso starter. More juice and less weight.

Heads/Carbs

2547FBFD-771D-4380-9D61-224CDC0D517D.jpeg
Good setup for 60hp. I’m thinking 70HP. Pull the heads, install the big valves, add the 2nd plug to both heads. Ditch the little Bings for the 40mm version. Now check with money managers on a cost evaluation and how that will affect my investment portfolio. :brow

Until earlier this year I owned an R100R. Great motorcycle. Rode it to the rallies in Des Moines and Lebanon without a hitch. Plenty of power (for me) and handled well. I have heard people say it is a combination of Airhead and Oilhead (switch gear, suspension, oil cooler, etc). Enjoy your R.

Thx bluehole, been enjoying the bike. It’s a little different from my twin shock airheads. As an aside my first Bmw was a ‘71 R50/5.

Return to ShakeRag/Disappointing

Recently rode over to ShakeRag on the usual Sunday bike day. Low attendance. Drove back over yesterday, again low attendance. Where are the bikers and motorcyclist?
8533FD02-8A82-40F4-BB5F-9317D7BC6CF5.jpeg
0DD26B6F-73E3-4CFB-8D8F-AA663F10C041.jpeg

Was wondering why attendance was kinda light at ShakeRag last weekend? A lot of my riding buddies were down at the Barber Bike festival on Alabama. That explains some of the lower attendance. But where was everybody else? :brow

Naturally Beemers Fall Campout

I wasn’t able to attend; Don Quales did attend and sent me some pics.
7F6EA22C-B344-4C9B-ABCF-F3F72AFDBAF0.jpeg
In memory of long time members Rod Kilduff and Harlan Brown.

Back to School

Some of Ya’ll may remember my adventure in going back to school at Arkansas State University Mid-South in West Memphis, Ar. Back in 2020. Back when Covid and face masks were center stage. I took the computer numerical machining class.
A0B36617-54AC-495C-99FB-C0A5B55730B0.jpeg
B636C065-F5CE-4002-9E8A-4B9DC0E24C57.jpeg
Passed the class and got some of the NIMS certifications to work in the medical implant industry. The I-40 bridge across the Mississippi River was shut down for about a year to due to structural damage. The old I-55 bridge across the river had to take all the traffic. Traffic was backed up for miles in both directions. The medical jobs were on the other side of the river. I just could not see spending 2-3 hours a day, maybe longer driving to work every day.

Back