• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Still on the old school stuff. When I first started riding in colder weather and longer trips, I needed something for my legs. I used thermal long johns and a second larger pair up jeans to wear on the outside of my regular jeans. A bigger belt and suspenders to hold them up. Comical now, but that’s the way I did it. I just wouldn’t give up on the idea that I wasn’t a biker or motorcyclist. I was just a guy out riding and having a good time. :)

Getting Better Stuff.

When I started riding, I lived on my bike. Rode to work and back, longer rides on the weekend. Then weekend rides all over the Mid-South and beyond. I was layering up, upper and lower and top and bottom. Added rain gear, rain booties over my boots. Better helmets, better rain proof boots and gloves. It was a lot of extra gear to take. Then, I really upped my game.

Along with the better BMW gear, heated grips on the K100 and R1100RS; I got a Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit and a Schuberth Concept helmet; I was running all the rides to all the rallies. I loved riding and I was running year round. Life was great.:groovy

Observation

Taking pics of the Stitch, I finally noticed the deterioration of the reflective material of the suit.
284A6504-77E4-4825-AD37-89DF8D7FA708.jpeg
8942A641-5082-448A-A48A-5B218F01D22D.jpeg
Up close, U can see it. Yeah, gotta figure out a way to restore the reflective aspect of the suit. Visibility is one of major keys to safety.
91A7B090-C7C3-4C25-8A2D-8CD66BC2177A.jpeg
I want to be seen alive on the bike; the other option is not good.:nono

Older Gerbing Gear

I examined the battery hookup on R100R. The previous owner had added some attachments to it. A two prong hookup and another hookup for some type of attachment. I checked it out the old school way; I hooked up my older Gerbing outfit and took off riding. No real heat. Got back, looked at the battery hookups. Removed the add ons and rode the bike old school layered up. I’ll address the older gear later.
3D2A7561-003F-4DC0-8F0F-D34B9DC8934A.jpeg

Pulled the bike out to hookup the newer Gerbing gear. Was making good progress until the heavy mist started. Got kinda wet, called it quits, till tomorrow.
0B1BD90A-555C-46B7-A88A-700BDA8CDD5B.jpeg
7770B54B-F312-4E49-9DB2-32AD0EFC9FC4.jpeg
Hope to finish up tomorrow. :brow

Got back to it. The newer old gear works fine. Decided I don’t need the heated gloves at this time. Most of my rides are 50 miles or less. My BMW winter gear gloves are more than enough. I’ll carry the glove liners as a backup. Called about my windshield hardware, that and the BMW hand guards should be being shipped out in a week; I hope. Maybe time to check out heated grips. They work quite well on my K100 and R1100.

Box of Parts and Windshield

Received my box of parts to mount my windshield to the R100R; from Max BMW.
0DDF6638-B0D2-47E1-A534-AA48E8AB8EA8.jpeg
The windshield propped up by the box.
6F87E2FA-0583-4626-8912-9F9B7F19253B.jpeg

Windshield on Hold

Got the windshield parts out for inspection. Exam revealed that I had two lefts and not a left and right clamp I knew this shield was kinda not in production. Greg the parts manager at Max BMW asked if I wanted chrome
or black mounting hardware. He explained that the parts might come mixed. Told him no problem, would take what I could get.

Finding Parts

3ACFEA53-2060-496A-AC45-75585CC18ED2.jpeg
The problem wasn’t the coating, but I got two lefts, not a left and right. Greg, the parts manager is working with me to get it corrected. I also ordered 2 original rear view mirrors. The aftermarket mirrors were just so-so. Well, life goes on. ;)

As a fellow R100R rider I am curious as to whether or not you have either of the switches next to the speedometer/odometer hooked up to anything?

As a fellow R100R rider I am curious as to whether or not you have either of the switches next to the speedometer/odometer hooked up to anything?

Nope, not as this time. But I may hook up heated grips and 4-way flashers at a later date. Currently it’s getting the windshield mounted, new rear view mirrors an hand guards attached. Just baby steps. After that maybe a rear rack. I want to ride to rallies and campout, like I use to.

This & That

The weather here today is fair to partly cloudy and a high near 70’. Time a a day trip to ShakeRag, Tn.. Maybe see some of my biker bro’s out and about. Ps, Yea I gotta few more items to add, text it later. Time to ride.:groovy

I have been thinking about heated grips too.

I have a windshield, hand guards, rear rack and recently installed new mirrors. Hand guards may be the best thing on the motorcycle. This time of the year the hand guards are fantastic. My hands are so much warmer out of the wind. They are also nice to have when riding in rain. On longer rides the windshield is useful. It pivots so I have some control over the amount of airflow coming my way. I am interested to see what you think about your additions.

Longer Ride to Shake Rag

Took a break from parts procurement and took a ride Sunday. The temps were up to 70’ and the forecast was fair to partly cloudy. It really never really got to sunny. Cloudy and warm, good riding weather. Rode to my go to place, Shake Rag, Tn.. This trip was to Shelby Forrest Store and what I call the back door to the Rag. A little closer to the Mississippi River; it’s a nicer ride. More country, rural, wooded; just a good ride. Not the usual large crowd, but my biker buds were there. Good to catch up on the news and get past Christmas hustle and bustle.

Back