Page 251 of 255 FirstFirst ... 151 201 241 249 250 251 252 253 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 3824

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

My buddy rode day or night, 24/7, highways, byways, gravel roads, farm trails, mountain trials. We were always camped out next to a river at the bottom of a mountain. We had ridden down on a cow or horse trail. Hey Buddy, why aren't we in the official campground. What's the use in that. We got the whole view, this whole site all to ourselves. OK got it.

We'd get up, ride up the the trail to the highway, then down the road to the little community store and restaurant. Usually some bikes parked outside; some street bikes, some dual-purpose, some pure dirt bikes. We'd go in and sit down. All the bikers sitting, eating, drinking, and talking about all the great rides in the area. A lot of the riders were from outa state.

Usually a small small place, all the bikers packed into a small place. Kinda funny, the Harley biker types and DP riders sitten togather all talking about the local rides in the area. My buddy and I were just there smiling. We had ridden every ride they were talking about numerous times. Y'all ever ride down to the Spring Creek Campground? Naw, never heard of it. What about the ride down to the the abandoned ghost mining town of Rush with all those abandoned mines. What, No, never heard of them. Well, let me tell you where they are.....

Sometimes I'd be looking for a ride for the day. I'd lead a ride to the old Mining town of Rush and the old abandoned mines. I'd tell everyone it's gravel road the whole way. A lot of the street bikes would turn back, most all the DP bikes made the ride. They loved it. They could've believe that at one time 10's of 100's of miners and their families lived here at one time. I think zink was the primary mineral mined. Their were shacks all over the hill sides, now all gone. This pretty much came to an end at the end of WWII.

I led rides down to the Spring Creek Campground, it was about a 750-1000 foot steep and curvy ride down to the unimproved campground. I explained all that to the street riders. We would get about 1/3 way down and some of the street riders would stop; they had had enough. I couldn't talk them out of it. I told them it's easier to turn around at the bottom.I had to stop and park my bike and and help them turn around. I couldn't stand the idea of them dumping their bikes and getting hurt.

I rode all these rides on my R50/5, R90/6, K100RT, and R1100RS, so It wasn't like I didn't know what it was like. I think the first few times I rode down the mountain to the campground was at night and that's another story. I never took any of these people down that mountain side to the Buffalo River after dark.

Other rides I led in the area was to the ferries at Sycamore and Guion ferries on the White River. Rode these ferries back in the 1960's. Guion was a mining town back then, probably still is. Back in the 60's the Ozarks were really backward. Guion was almost the end of the world, it really was a different time.

Cool

Another ride I took a few riders on was the ride to Mountain View, Ar, most of the time on a Sunday. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, I was living in Batesville, Ar. Just down the road from Mt. View. Packing 50,000 people into a secluded little town of about 2,000 really was a recipe for disaster. I went in '68, '69, '70. '68 and '69 was pretty good. Folk music and a look into early pioneer mountain music and life. I was 15/16 years old. 1970 was totally different. The hippies left Woodstock in 1969 and took over large parts of America. Music festivals and colleges and universities were basically taken over. The Mountain View Folk Festival was overrun with them for a few years. As a 17 year old country boy, it was eye opening. Any that's also another story.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's most of the hippies were gone. I still won't go back to the Folk Festival, can't stand the crowds. But I would go on a Sunday afternoon in the spring, summer, or fall.. Perfect little crowd and folk singers and musicians playing the courthouse square. Perfect afternoons of riding and folk music. Almost every biker/rider I took said it was one of the best days riding and visiting in the Ozarks. I got a lot of thumbs up; put a smile on my face, putting smiles on their faces.

Well, riding day and night all over Ozarks and Ouachita Mountains with that crazy buddy of mine, toughened me up to be able to ride with other half crazy riders on other rides. Studying my ON's and OTL magazine stories on proper riding, I willed my myself to being a better rider. Leo Goff was an inspiration. He's been riding since he was a little kid, and he always promoted safer riding. I just grew up mentally and took riding as a fun but serious endeavor.

As I learned to ride in groups, I found out who were the good riders and who were the not so good riders. Generally I started riding more by myself, and less with groups or even with another rider. I had a buddy years ago, who was a Harley rider, and a high mileage rider, if I remember maybe 50,000 a year. He traded his Harley in every year and usually it had about 50,000 on the od. I met him through Leo Goff. He was a salesman for a company that sold automotive and motorcycle hardware. I was impressed for a Harley rider that rode that much.

As I learned to ride to ride in groups, I found out who were the good riders and who were the not do so good riders. Generally I started riding more by myself, and less with groups or even with another rider. I had a buddy years ago, who was a Harley rider, and a high mileage rider, if I remember maybe 50,000 a year. He traded his Harley in every year and usually it had about 50,000 on the od. I met him through Leo Goff. He was a salesman for a company that sold automotive and motorcycle hardware. I was impressed for a Harley rider that rode that much.

Saw Ed quite a bit for a few years after that. Got the invite to do another ride. I always declined, I tried to give a gracious but dishonest excuse. Ed would always get in a little dig. I didn't care, I didn't have a death wish. I didn't have anything to prove, I ride for the pleasure of riding at my own safe pace.

Ed was a bar owner, he owned one north of Memphis for a while, then one about 50 miles east of Memphis. I knew Ed ran a lot at night to run his bar. He also drank liquor as he rode. The ride to his bar was through a heavy deer populated area. Kiss of death. I got the message one day , Ed was killed in a deer strike riding to his bar one night. End of story.

Hum, lost the ride with Ed. It was a one day ride to Little Rock, Ar. and back. Average speed 80+mph, maybe even faster . It was 30 years ago, my memory is a little lame. It was way to fast for me. I had a K100RT, I could have blown him off the road; but it was totally pointless. He was way past reality. Never rode with Ed again.