• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

50F78EDB-B344-4055-B133-4D470AFAF902.jpeg
Polishing out that aluminum brightwork; it’s a lot on a Norton. On BMW’s I think aluminum turn signals and gas caps.

Tie-downs

5ACB2F68-0A39-4406-A652-49E604192C84.jpeg
Leo, When I come back I will color coordinate your tie-down rack into a proper ensemble that will be easy on the eye.

65CBD806-7CB4-4B86-A4D4-E77C40EDB1EE.jpeg
6F6D6A4E-9A7D-4AFE-B8AB-0EA0554D4CB9.jpeg
Leo; how old is that reel to reel? 1970 Thx Leo for letting me visit and share a small part of your life with our MOA family. :bow

Old School thru the Modern Age

Just a little more info on Leo. This is his home shop where he retires to work on his own pet projects in an old school no stress environment. Don't let that pleasant careworn look fool Ya. Leo is completely versed in all the modern automotive and motorcycle technologies. Computerized fuel injection, ABS braking systems, suspension systems; Engine assemblies; Leo lives in the modern world. Thx again, Leo for sharing; can't wait for a return visit. :type

Year 2021

2020 gone, but definitely not forgotten. Much like 1776 or 1929; the founding of the country or the stock market crash. 2020 will for ever be seared in our minds as the world pandemic Covid 19. Personally I don't think there will ever be the old normal. I hope I'm wrong. I generally try to steer this thread away from any thing political, but a world wide pandemic is hard to ignore. I'm having a little bit of writers block, what to delve into next on motorcycles, particularly BMW's. I've let my motorcycles kind of deteriorate; other issues of my life have come into play to distract me. I'm going to make the effort to correct this, and I think My good friend Leo will be helping to bring this about. I've got a BMW airhead engine stand coming shortly to help start the process. I'm hoping this will become the focal point of the thread. Updating some BMW engines, several are Airheads; along with 1 Oilhead; '94 R1100RS and and 1 old K100RT that will become a K100 standard. I'm excited about all of them. I have never asked for any suggestions for this thread, but as of late I might be open to some ideas to keep the thread from becoming old and stale.
I was a full time student at the local Jr. College last fall; I completed 19 credit hours in CNC Machining; this Spring I will be back in class full time taking 17 credit hours in general machine shop. Not bad for a 67 year old dude. So I'll have my hands full for the next few months. I might have enough to get my Associates Degree by the end of the semester. And with some help from my buddy Leo, a couple of running bikes. PS Did Ya'll like touring his man cave and old school motorcycle shop. I know I did. :brow

Norton’s have their own unique history of motorcycle development and progression of technology. If I remember correctly from the history books Norton engineers developed the featherbed frame. This became the frame du jour of the of the Brit bike scene. They spent the bucks for development of a much stiffer frame to compete in the Isle of Man style of racing. Some of the Brit motorcycle companies installed their motors and trannies in this frame. They became recognized as successful hybrids. As the bikes became more powerful this led to another problem; intolerable vibration and frame shake. More frame development was in the works at Norton.

Back