• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Previous Story

Back in the Nineties, I was on a car racing team. The team owner was quite wealthy. He was big into motorcycles, he owned over a hundred motorcycles. Two of his favorite riders were a H/D Ultra Classic and the '89 R100GSPD. I rode both bikes a couple of times a month. It was part of the job description. Usually the H/D first. Really cool. Riding it, I was a VIP. Everybody waves, that dude looks cool on that American iron. Big, loud, flashy, American. Yep, pretty much the the Cool Dude; James Dean, Marlon Brando, Peter Fonda all rolled up into one. Rolled back to the shop, walking on Cloud Nine. I was pretty much motorcycle royalty. Parked the Royal Carriage. Now for the Real Ride. :)

Being a Curator did have some prevliges.

Back when I was riding the boss’s PD, I be rollin around the Midsouth, really enjoying the ride. I felt like I was on a magic carpet ride. Everyone I passed or passed me had their eyes on that bike, what is that? I’d look back and smile usually give them a nod or a nice little hand wave. Harley riders were a little different. When they were solo some ignored it, but most gave the biker nod. Group H/D riders generally tried to ignore me. Fine, I know the routine. A few hours earlier on the H/D Ultra Classic all hand salutes and smiles. Bikers are funny critters.

BMW R100GSPD Stat Sheet

9472415F-3085-4A54-9264-98CBE154B62B.jpeg

This stat sheet on the GSPD might be readable. One thing I noticed was it was rated at 58hp; not 60. If it’s a problem the aftermarket can take care of that.

If I remember correctly the R100GS came to America as a 1988 model. Two color schemes; the white with blue accent and the black with yellow trim; famously called the bumble bee. The next year, 1989 the GSPD made it’s debut, a dual-purpose tour-de-force. That was about the same time the K1 made it’s appearance. The times were a changing at the old stodgy BMW marque. Fuel injection, Dual over head cams,4-valve heads, Abs brakes, many more new components; most came from the auto division. 30 years later and the changes and upgrades just keep on coming. My newest Beemer is a ‘94 R1100RS; when I got it; it was the latest greatest. Now it’s a venerable Oilhead and I’m a senior citizen rider. By the way, I was never the latest greatest. Now that I think about it there was that time down in.......

View attachment 46918
Had a buddy who owned one of these. I think his was a '89 or '90. Rode it quite a bit back in the day. Loved it. It's a airhead I would like to own and ride. To pretty for off road use. but, thats just me. I do have a R80ST, kindov a street version of this bike. Need to start riding it.

Saw this on the thread, couldn’t resist; luv the red solo seat. Matches my red solo cup. :) OK, not that funny.

View attachment 52036
Gary Longley and his nice GSPD. Gary get your drive shaft upgraded before it fails. Find out if you need the transmission circlip machined and installed. Ya ain't going to be to happy when your stranded in Timbukto. :violin

Accidentally posted A picture of Gary’s PD from the same rally. I have a touchy trigger finger, just like Deputy Barney Fife.

View attachment 52294
Came across this pic from the RA National in Arkansas. Gary Longley's early 90's R100GSPD. I think this would be a nice airhead for for long distance riding. Back 25 years ago I road a one almost identical to this on 20-30 mile jaunts around Memphis. I'm tall so that wasn't a problem. Large fuel capacity can be handy. I think the tall suspension would be good at absorbing all that road energy that fatigues riders on long haul riding.
I know the fuel econemy isn't the best and the brakes are a little antiquated. Put a good drive shaft in it and hit the hiway. I'm just sitting here smiling thinking about those nice rides around Memphis back in the 90's.

:dunno I’m on a roll. :dance:brad

Finally got out the other day. Wanted to see some bikes. That meant heading over to ShakeRag, about 10 miles north of Memphis. At the corner of West Union and Rankin Branch.
187C8314-7113-438F-8759-7591B10807CF.jpeg

E0920051-E1D5-4820-A2AC-995644C1495D.jpeg

Usually there is a band playing on stage, not today. I’m sure their will be in the near future, their just taking baby steps just to get open.

Back