• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

BEF81123-7A9A-40D8-8893-6519E375B1E2.jpeg.

Here ya’ go Barry....a throwback to 1966.
This was December 25th, 1966, right around noon, at Overton Park, right at the lake. I was a young and restless 17 year old. That’s my 1963 Matchless G15/45.
A few months later, I found a wrecked R60/2. Had the right cylinder torn off of it in a crash. Took it apart, welded and machined the case back, and got it going. Rode it for a while, and sold it. It was pretty rough.
Picked up another much nicer one. It’s in the back shop. It will run.

66D0A9D4-9552-4513-BC7B-5ED2ACCEAD57.jpeg

Barry, you may remember this one. It’s the R60/2 mentioned in the previous post. You helped me move it when I moved back in 1996. It was in the back room of the old shop. Custom paint job, ape hanger bars, and a radio mounted on the bars. The owner, Jim “Buttercup” Butler, welded up chain links into the shape of ape hangers, had them chromed, and replaced the ape hangers in this picture with the welded chain ape hangers. Think back, you’ll probably remember that!! I took the bars off, and put in stock bars. It still has that custom paint job. I still have those fiberglass Buco saddlebags too. Eventually, I’ll restore it back to original. Not really wild about modified and custom slash 2’s!

Yep, I remember the /2 with the ape hangers made outa a chain and chromed; it got a lot of comments and smirks. The 60’s were definitely a different time. I wonder if Buttercup is still around?

Soda blasting R80ST

It’s been a beehive of activity around Leo’s shop of late; good weather helps. Snowden Todd acquired a nice R80ST. It had a small amount of dinge on the aluminum cases and final drive. Time for a little soda blasting after some prep.

If you show up at Leo’s shop, your going to be put to work. After moving all those motorcycle carcasses, soda blasting, and various other projects; I was whipped. Spent Sunday resting and sleeping. Now on to the next project at home.

After this clean up session and a little general servicing along with Leo doing some fine tuning this will be a really fine ST. U gotta nice ride Snowden.:thumb

But it's so fun!

If you show up at Leo’s shop, your going to be put to work. After moving all those motorcycle carcasses, soda blasting, and various other projects; I was whipped. Spent Sunday resting and sleeping. Now on to the next project at home.
Stop complaining Barry:thumb Where else can you spend time around so many cool bikes and get "Hands On Experience", even if it is backbreaking work?:hungover
I was wondering why you didn't show up Sunday! Now I know:scratch... Snowden, Nick, and Tom were out, and we had a great time just sitting around! No riding, as it stormed.
Thanks for all of your help.....see ya' soon!:wave

One of Leo’s Guzzi’s

Thx’s Leo I had a great day at the shop and I really enjoyed the BBQ lunch. Will be back soon for another round of what ever comes next.

Freight liner and Me

View attachment 55883
View attachment 55884
Yous Truely, Working on high. The boss gotta kick outa coming by and seeing us scrubbing away. The Freightliner was was a pretty cool auto hauler. We raced coast to coast, and it was actually a pretty nice way to travel. It was one of the longest straight trucks I have seen on the hiway. Listening on the CB, A lot of the truckers commented on it when they saw it. But, it being a straight truck, could make it a handfull to manuever in some situations. I still run the hiways, and I occasionally see it on the road.

If U hang with Leo, U end up working. That is one big truck we cleaned.

Back