Page 182 of 270 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 192 232 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 4045

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

IMG_1089.jpg
    I think in the lower right hand corner is the carrier machined out in stainless and used as the model to make one in a light weight composite.

IMG_1095.jpg
    BMW with some of the light components

Arrow

IMG_1096.jpg
    Yep, carbon fiber light.

IMG_1107.jpg
    Eddie Wilbanks on the left and Lentz on the right. I'm sure in deep hi tech discussion.

Back when Lentz was big time into Performance K100's, Eddie did a lot of the custom design and development on the bike. After the completion of that bike, Lentz had Eddie design and build a supercharged K100 engine. Eddie completed the job. But it was a long time in the development stage to completion. Lentz by that time was pretty much through with K100s. Anyway Eddie ended up with the hipo K100 and the one off supercharged engine. I rode with Lentz when he was riding the K100 and I saw the super charged being developed at Eddie's shop. It was close to completion. Then it just fell off the rader screen. This was all over 20 years go. I knew Eddie had it. A couple of years ago I asked Eddie about the bike and the engine. I wanted to do an article about the both of them. He said it wasn't possible at that time. At the little gettogather the other day, he was ready for me to come over and see the bike and the separate engine. I'm kinda excited about it.

My buds run the whole gamet from super low tech old Indians and Harley's such as Indian John to the hitech guys like Lentz. I'm kinda between the two extremes. I generally find that the two extremes are very expensive. Generally I find the ownership of any motorcycle an expensive hobby. Oh well.

A Few More Pics of Lentz's Garage

IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    Wunderlich center stand
    IMG_1105.jpg
    Closeup backwards

IMG_1105.jpg
    Forward, backward, upside down, whatever.

IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    A pic of Leo Goff with a racing Norton. Probably 40 years ago, before I knew him.

Thx Lentz, I had great time, the BBQ was over the top, you have an awesome garage with a lot of cool bikes.

Yep, I get to hang out at some really cool places with some great people.

Winter Boredom

IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    Was sitting in my bedroom; bored. My vision kinda settled on this Luftmeister trunk.The more I looked at it, it kinda took me back 20-30 years. Back to the time when I was a regular Rally rat. Saw a lot of these trunks on BMW's in that time frame. A lot of Airheads and a few K bikes. Seems like a lot of the mom and pop riders, had them on their BMW's. It brings a smile to my face about those riders, every Rally I seem to attend, they were there. I was a newbie and they were the vets. I started learning what gear and stuff I needed. Reynolds racks, and Luftmeister trunks were some of that stuff. A previous owner added the auxiliary lights, BMW riders have always had a higher level of interest in visibility than most riders.

Reynolds Rack

IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    Good stuff from that era. This particular system has the hinged rear rack. Was designed for Airheads with the cowl seat pan, RS, S, RT type models. Made it possible to tuck the rack in when traveling and pulled out when opening the the seat pan. The old vets liked demonstrating this feature to us newbies. Another good feature of the Reynolds system was it was very stout. It was just as sturdy as the BMW subframe. In an emergency type situation a rider could pick up on the rack and move he bike around. Good stuff, it wasn't going to crack or break. If your going to put an old airhead on the road for serious riding and touring, a Reynolds system is definitely a plus.

Boredom Continues

I got old obsolete BMW parts stashed everywhere. Actually neat old stuff, that at one time was the latest greatest. There were a lot of venders, who kept the Beemer crowd supplied with all the stuff. Now long gone.
    IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    Wixom bag mounts for the /2's and R69S.