• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Smokey and the Valves

IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg
She always has to be the center of attention. I was explaining to her the inter workings of the internal combustion engine. She looked at me and meowed. 'You idiot, I'm a cat.' Yea, I know, but I've given that speech so many times, it just starts and I can't stop.

Almost named her Spot. I just could'nt. I knew when she grew up, she would never forgive me giving her a dog name. Here Spot come and get your cat food. Just wouldn't work. :dunno

IMG_0877.jpg
I'm a big fan of the standard BMW windshield. I'd go to rallies and see a few here and there. If I talked to anyone that had them, they almost always gave them good reviews. Going thru one of the campgrounds, I spied one a distance off, I could see it because it sit up way to high. The owner was there. I like your windshield, but you've gotta a funny mount system. Yea, I bought it used , I never figured it out. Fabbed up this contraption to hold. You don't have a BMW airhead parts book do U.. Nope. U deal with a local BMW dealer. Yep. Get on over there and get the parts guy to help you find it, in the book, in the microfiche, or on the computer. Get that proper top clamp and get that shield mounted properly. Your giving us a bad name, teasingly. Ya gotta have those top clamps to do good job. When I started riding, I just happened to start on a BMW and a lot of people helped me get started and going in the right direction. The sad part is a lot of those guys are gone now.

Complete Airhead BMW Windshield Assembly

Was going to put a windshield assembly on the police bike and take some pics. Found this complete assembly. Some time back I took some pics and posted them. Forgot about it.
IMG_0924.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
IMG_0925.jpg
This assembly was a great design and worked great. Was never a big seller for BMW. Most Beemer riders weren't even aware of them. They were kinda pricey. I guess most riders poneyed up a few more bucks for a Luftmeister or Windjammer fairing. That seemed to be the way it was, 30-40 years ago. :)

Well designed windshield system. The square hole between the 2 crown nuts, was where the 4-way flasher switch was mounted. You could remove the two crown nuts and you had a naked bike. Another neat feature was a simple sturdy design, nothing on the system interfered with the headlight assembly. No problem accessing the headlight bucket assembly. Remember removing the S fairing, or the hassle of servicing the light bucket with the Windjammer or Luftmeister mounted. I don't miss any of that. The windshield works equally well with

The windshield works equally well with just about all handlebars, S or American. Oh, it really does give a lot of protection riding in the wind at all speeds. It doesn't flex around like most aftermarket windshields. :thumb

Years ago, in another life I was job shop machinist. And I machined up a couple of sets of these top handle bar mounts for some buddies of mine and a set for myself. Back then the windshield sets were available as well as the individual pieces. All kinda pricey. The set in these pics were machined up for me by Ron Wiginton. Ron's a journeyman machinist. He commented that those simple little pieces were kinda challenging to machine. I kinda smiled and agreed, thought the same thing about 20 years ago when I machined up those sets back in the day. :)

Some time back I was at the BMW Zentrum, generally a good stop. I've stopped several times in he past. They always had a good representation of the BMW motorcycles, past and present. This last time almost nothing on motorcycles and their contribution or history to the company. Gave that stop a bad review. One good thing was I bought some little BMW Roundel pins for my BMW caps at the kiosk. I know this stuff is available on line, but seems neat to me to buy this stuff at the places that have it for sell. It seems to personalize it.
IMG_0923.jpg
Their small, discreet little ornaments.

Some time back I was at the BMW Zentrum, generally a good stop. I've stopped several times in he past. They always had a good representation of the BMW motorcycles, past and present. This last time almost nothing on motorcycles and their contribution or history to the company. Gave that stop a bad review. One good thing was I bought some little BMW Roundel pins for my BMW caps at the kiosk. I know this stuff is available on line, but seems neat to me to buy this stuff at the places that have it for sell. It seems to personalize it.
View attachment 66908

Moto Man Cap

Yea, this cap needs a bath, time for the dishwasher. It's a veteran of many rides, runs, and rallies. One of my favs.

The Ride Is On.

IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg
I think I remember that ad campaign. What was it, 10 or 20 years ago. What's the current campaign.

Gatesby BMW Style Hat

IMG_0916.jpg
IMG_0917.jpg
Cool cap. Back when I was a teen, wouldn't be caught dead wearing one. Now, that I've almost grown up,
It's one of my fav's. I'm pushing 65.

I'm trying to put a '87 K100 together as a good cross country touring machine. I put about 50,000 miles on it years ago, when it was an RT. Ditched the RT fairing years ago. Good fairing, it just didn't fit me. Got all the front end stuff secured. Now I'm working on the middle and back end of the bike. I was looking at Paul Glaves now departed 'Ol Smokey. Liked the solo seat, large rear rack.
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg
This a pretty solid oem LT seat, might be a good candidate for the rear 1/3 to be bobbed off into a solo seat, and the front 2/3 recovered into a solo Russell RDL seat. He removed the whole tail piece and used a Airhead taillight section. I might just use a Reynolds K- bike rear rack if I can find one. Heavy duty stuff. I want to use the bike as a Rally bike. Carry a fair amount of camping gear and be comfortable. I havn't been a Rally Rat on a bike in some years. Will see.
IMG_0939.jpg
What's the old saying measure twice and cut once. :scratch:dunno

Don't worry, ain't going to do anything stupid. Will do this project in an organized process, a little at a time. Will put the front end pieces on first. Get the bike running and then start the back end transformation a little at a time.

Stopped in at the MOA HQ in Baldwin, Mo. some years back, good folks and they rounded me up some paraphernalia, the MOA Patch was part of the stuff. :thumb

Back