• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Collected all those pieces for the project K100. Was over at Leo's the othe day and saw that complete K100 headlight assemble. Yea, Leo I had a complete headlight assembly like that. But I lost it. Barry, You Idiot, that's your assembly. You left it it over here a few yew years ago. What?, My prodical headlight assembly is not lost. Unbelievable. Glad to solve that mystery. By the way Leo didn't say You Idiot, I added that for effect.But I feel like an idiot.

K100 Hitch

Picture 5116.jpg
Picture 5118.jpg
I've been wanting to ride to a rally with a little bigger tent. Maybe one I can stand up in and put my pants on. That would be so nice. Maybe time to restore this hitch as a starting point.

Lookin for Stuff

Lookin for some bike parts for various projects, finding other stuff.
Cluster gear outa my '74 R90/6, make that broken cluster gear.
Picture 5122.jpg
2 broken dogs on the slider mechenism.Was happily riding this bike with no tranny problems. Probably every thing else was broke. Back around '91 took the bike apart for econo resto. Took the tranny out and could here all the clanking inside. Disaster. Took the drain plug out and out fell one dog. Shook the tranny a little more and more clanking inside. Took the tranny apart and there was the 2nd broken dog. The bike shifted perfectly before I took it apart.
Picture 5123.jpg
Picture 5125.jpg
I think I had about $1,000 budgeted for this ECONO rebuild. Tranny blew that estimate up. I called Clyde Reese in Shelbyville. Yes, Mr. Phillips that is a problem in '74 models. If you have one broken dog, take your chance it'll work. Thx Mr. Reece, but I got two boken dogs. Leo find me a good used cluster gears. I'll work some more overtime to pay for it. :hungover

The Germans and their superior engineering. This cluster gear was used thru some time during the '75 model year, when the dogs were upgraded to a better fit with machining and grinding to a closer fit. That little bad fit cost me about $500 bucks.

Now that I think about it, new ones were about $500-600 and I got that used one for about $350. It was 25 years ago my memory ain't all that good. I do remember I wasn't a happy canper on that little deal. Cluster gear was more like a cluster you know what. Sorry, I hold a grudge. Moving on.

Bat Wing Fairings.

Digging for those parts I ran into these fairings.
Picture 5127.jpg
Wixsom /5 fairing
Picture 5128.jpg
Unknown manufacture
Picture 5129.jpg
I stripped these off bikes or got them is parts deals. Back when I started going to rallies, used to see a lot of them. Oh, well.

Just like the movie 'The Good, The Bad, the Ugly' Now add the Crazy, the Stupid, the Outragous, so on and so forth. :thumb Mortorcycling will do that to Ya.

Finally figured out how well BMW windshields worked for me so I never made the transition to using batwing handlebar fairings. They look cool though in a strange sort of way.

Mound City, Ar.

What, Mound City, Ar.? My good neighbor John Allen had his daughter and Paul his son in law visiting from California. Took Paul over to the Sultana Museum. Show him some local history. Tok him down the road a little closer to where the Sultana steam paddle wheeeler sank. Years ago I rode my bicycle many times, then on to West Memphis. I like visiting here because they had several historical markers on display. Local history. Mound City is kind of a misnomer. There is a mound,but calling this place a city is a long stretch. If you travel west from Memphis, it's one of the first exits you past on I-40.
Picture 5196.jpg
You've past it a million times on your trips, North, South, East, West. The next exit is Martin Luther King Blvd., the exit where all the truck stops are. You pull in here to fuel up and keep going. Mound City is a few miles north, just up the road. The little hamlet is named bacause it has an Indian mound.
Picture 5133.jpg
Picture 5132.jpg

Back in the late 70's rde my bike many times in the area and allways like seeing the markers. Indians, DeSoto, The French, The Spaniards, pioneers, traders, Civil War, I love that stuff. History happened here.
Picture 5131.jpg
Tenet, share cropper store. It looked a little different years ago. Where the porch meets the front of the between the clapboard wall and that white gravel rock was a clapbord wall and it in front was a large marker about a Civil war battle in the area. Close to Mound city was ferry crossing crossing point at Hopefield to Memphis. It was part of the Battle of Memphis. After I started riding motorcycles, I brought freinds by here to see the markers. Then all the markers just disapeared, gone vamoosed. Kinda upset me.
I was telling Paul about the markers and a guy drove up and introduced himself as the new owner of most of Mound City. Charlie Lowrance, met him and his wife.
Picture 5150.jpg

Talking to Charlie about the loss of the markers, you know the story. He gave me a strange look and said follow me. We headed off down to old farm headquarters.
Picture 5153.jpg
Found this inside.
Picture 5152.jpg
Picture 5151.jpg
charlie found all of them in buildings on the property and is slowly restoring them. A lot of time and money well spent. :dance:thumb

I've rode my bicycle up to that farm shop many times and all those tenet farmers thought I was crazy, you gonna get yourself killed, boy. Yep , I survived all those drunken rednecks and lived to tell the tale. :)

Picture 5156.jpg
That's the real name of the farm shop and little road. I know old man Pirani, quite well. Drank my share of beer with him at a local watering hole. He told me just like his tenet farmer hands told me. Your gonna get yourself killed, boy riding your bicycle and motorcycle around here. Then we'd both laugh and have another round. Ah, the good old days.

Picture 5155.jpg
One of the markers Charlie has restored and has mounted on a stand and on display for all to see. Nice work. Marion Lake was the old river chute that gave Marion access as a port on the Mississippi River back before the levee was built. That was before 1914.

Share Cropper/Tenet Farmer Houses

Picture 5135.jpg
Picture 5149.jpg
When charlie bought the farm he got a row of little houses. They have allways been occupied as long as I can remember. He's now renting them out to those who want to experience that kind of life as a bed and breakfast . I lived in some little houses like this growing up. So I don't have to to do the modern experience to find out. Been there done that.

The Levee

Just a few hundred yards down the road from the Indian mound is the levee.
Picture 5139.jpg
Flood stage. I've seen it a about 1 ft. from the top. If the levee gets breached it'sa total disaster.

Back