• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Airhead OEM Windshields

Like everyone else I had to go thru a learning curve on Airheads. Windjammers, to aftermarket handlebar windshields and fairings. Learn all the +'s and -'s. 'Some looked kinda ok and kinda worked. Some looked the part, but were so so. Nothing like getting to a rally with no headlite. Gotta remove the whole apparatus to change one bulb. It's the resetting up and getting everything fitted properly. I just ain't got the patience. That's why I went to BMW oem windshield sets. Work right and look right. Started buying the on the internet and BMW sites as back ups. Learned that you really need all the parts as I previously posted. Still bought them with out all the hardware. I got what I could. I worked in machine shops for years, Usually pretty easy to do some afterhours jobs. Been away from it for awhile. That's one reson you see me in a lot of motorcycle and auto machine shops. I understand it.
Bought a couple of sets with out the special handlebar top clamp. They have the notched out area that really holds the hold assembly togather. Took a whole handlebar assemble and had a buddy of mine machine the notch. He's the best there is. Pretty tough little job. Tine consuming. He left everything bolted up togather and got it located on the milling table. Yep, a little more involed than it generally looks.
Picture 5045.jpg
Yes he got it located and machined. We decided we would build up fixture next time to do the job a better rate. The square 'hole' btween the crown nuts locates the 4-way flasher kit. Pretty well thought out by the R&D dept. back in the day. :thumb

Picture 5047.jpgPicture 5046.jpg
A few more pics. They came in two basic styles crome and semi gloss black, The kits also came with a black windshield edgeing, which I like. It gives the shield a defined physical shape. And the shield works equally well with USA or Euro bars. You remove the 2 crown nuts and you have a naked bike. It intrgrates perfectly with the instrument and oem spotlamp kit. You never have to remove the windshild to get into the headlite bucket. And the kit is NLA from BMW as far as I know. So if you attend the national this year and see one, you know it's genuine BMW. the end

Oh I forgot, R45/65/ST setup is just like the standard kit and well; totally different. Kinda sorta. Just kidding.

Picture 5057.jpg
Snowden Todd's Custom R80ST. One guy I knew years ago customized/butchered this bike years ago. It actually kinda looked ok. Customizing bikes really needs to be left to semi professional crazed lunitics who can do it, that goes double for BMW's. 2nd guy kinda got it back almost ridable and that's the bike Snowden has now.
Picture 5058.jpg
Nick Woodard on his green R75/5, nice. Snowden in the background.
Picture 5063.jpg
Nice bike, Nick.

Left the boys and head back into Memphis. Next stop my buddy Gene. I'm going to solve his K75 seat dilemma. He needs a seat for his K75so he can ride while his corbin Seat is being reupholstered. Brought a like new K100RT seat and a fair condition K100 Corbin. I know either will work. I know he'll pick the Oem seat. He was complaining about the quality of the Corbin. His seat tattered and the seams were splitting. Gene the seat is probably 20 years old and it's been left out in the weather. Gene is short 5'9" and oem seat will fit him.

Attachments

• Picture 5036.jpg
    Picture 5036.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 125
Picture 5075.jpg
Gene removing his old tattered seat.
Picture 5077.jpg
Gene off for a test ride. Yes, Barry that seat is perfect. I want that one. I know Gene,I've been saving this sear for the perfect short vertically challanged rider that came along or you. Just teasing, ride and enjoy. Who else delivers parts to your house and spreads joy and happiness along the way. Ride and enjoy my friend.

Picture 5076.jpg
Gene, I gotta hot date with a cute little hottie this weekend, can I borrow your little sportscar. I take back what I said about you bing vertically challanged and all that other stuff. Oh, Man come on, I'll keep it under 125, 100. Aw shucks. :scratch

Yep, I'd like to take that little jewell out to Memphis Motorsports Park and put it thru it's paces. I was on a vintage auto road racing team for many years, and we had a real Fiat Abarth 850TC from the early 60's; pretty fast. Drove it quite a bit to car shows and stuff like that. We also had a little Mini Cooper pickup truck from the 60's that I used for pickups and deliveries from time to time. The truck was pretty heavily modified and it was fast. I'd be out on the inter states around memphis rocking along around 70mph. People thought that was pretty cool. I'd see people behind me trying to catch me and see what that was. When they started getting close, Id kick it up about 10 mph. It wouldn't be long and it would be 100 mph. They couldn't believe it. Ah, the good old days. Come on Gene, I would never do that to your little car.:evil:burnout

What Goes Around Comes Back Aound-Thx Goodness

Several years ago I was heaily envolved in Home Healthcare. Pretty much that and hauling some freight when I could. Stuck at home with little to no extra cash. Stuck at the house watching the tubeas my only entainment. Wasn't riding; got to evaluating my bikes. Was studying my '87 K100RT. Good bike mostly. Some heat off the engine, kinda lived with it. A little tingling in the hands fron engine vibration. I could live with that. Fairing, good looking actually, but it didn't work for me. Knee's hit the fairing even with the Corbin seat cut back 2 inch's. Added a stereo, liked it;but I could live without it. Added the upgraded ventailation kit. Still hot. 50,000 miles on the od, it only has about 400,000 left in the engine.:) I had all types of other little upgrades. Bikes loaded with all the stuff, it still wont bring nothing. All the K100s are generally pretty much the same underneath. Ditch the fairing and make a plain K100 or better yet a loaded K100. Light kinda started shineing above the old noggin.

Pulled the RT out and started stripping the fairing off. When I got the bike it was in like new condition. 2700 miles. My first modern BMW. Pulling that fairing off was kinda bittersweet. In the end, it was stripped.
Picture 5085.jpg
Picture 5086.jpg
Gotta around and set on the bike. Without that fairing it felt like a little dirt bike and no firing for my knees to hit. I'm liking it. :thumb

First pieces i rounded up were the headlight bucket assembly from the 1990 K75/100 era. I liked the The head light bucket look from those years.
Picture 5050.jpg
Picture 5091.jpg
Then after some time the head light bucket assembly came up missing. What, when, where. Vamoose, lost, idios, gone. What the hech? I looked every where. Yikes, sucks. I can't keep up with nothin. got on the net and found some more stuff. This time it was the earlier plain k75/100 head light bucket assembly. Convinced myself I liked the eaelier better. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Back