• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

R80st

I've been making decisions on motorcycles. Deciding what to keep and sell. Gotta deal going on with a buddy of mine to build my R80ST. He was talking about wanting a R80GS. Told him I had the next best bike a R80ST. I had parts of that bike allover my garage and shed, just a total disaster. Been moving bike parts over there for a few days. I've been collecting parts for 15 years. Stuff was everywhere and more still to find.
Finally found the heads.
Picture 5017.jpg
I reworked these heads probably 15 years ago. Glad I finally found them. Now where's the pushrods and rocker arm assembly?
Picture 5021.jpg
Picture 5022.jpg
Was out in Tucson, Ar.,probably 10 years ago. Went to Iron Horse BMW. Seen a lot of their stuff in ON's, really over the top stuff. Had a good look around. Awsome dealership. Back in the parts sales dept.; saw this little leather bag on display. Kinda covered in dust. I remembered the old BMW sales ads on '89 R100GSPD. Those bikes had this bag on pictures. Cool looking, but almost really worthless as a bag. The tag read
If I remember $259 discounted to $199. I asked the sales clerk about a little more discount. Naw. OK. Went aroung the store and picked out some more stuff. Went to check out, sans leather bag. During the transaction the dept head came over. I saw you looking at the bag, your not buying it. Nope a little to steep for me today. He went over looked at the sticker. How about for today only $150. Sold! :thumb

Great Name and T

Another item I bought was a cool Iron Horse T. Had the big locomotive coming down the track with a big horse stallion morphed on the front. Was my favorite T for a few years. What a great name for a BMW dealership. IRONHORSE BMW. Will try to find the T and post a pic.

Was down in Daytona Bike Week back in the mid 90's. Met up with the head tech from Mathius BMW. David Baumen, if I remember correctly We ran and rode around for a few days. Funny how that works out, perfect impromtu riding partner and buddy. We had a really nice ride together up to St. Augustine. Sittin around at a bar/diner making small talk. Told about how I liked BMW windshild sets for airheads. He replied they had one on display collecting dust. I think a $100 bucks sealed the deal. Got back home sent him the money and a couple weeks later the windshield set arrrived. Yep BMW, but what does it fit? I had an old parts bike R65 sitting back in the shed. Yep, perfect match. Well I'll never use that, no plans to ride an R65. Find a buddy on a R65 and sell it. Promply forgot about it. Got the R80ST and finially The lite bulb went off in the old noggin. The windshield set was a perfect match for the ST. Thx David.

The bikes, I've sold and will sale will be a done deal. I won't be looking back. I told Leo, there is an exception on the ST. I really hated letting it go. Don't worry Barry, when we get ur done, just come and get it and ride it all you want, no problem. Thx Leo, that helps a little. :)

BMW Moto Cases

Was looking for more stuff for the ST project. I reallly wanted to find the rocker arm assembly;No luck. Got up in the rafters and found a good size box; a set of Olymic saddlebags. Nice bags; a kinda of Krauser style knockoffs. Not what I'm looking for. Go to the other end of the garage and up in the rafters is a slightly smaller box. Gotta be the Moto Cases. Put this stuff up here ptobably 10 years ago; maybe a lot longer. Yep that's them. Shimmied up and got the box down. I could shimmy a lot better 10/15 years ago. Not so much now.
Picture 5032.jpg
Picture 5033.jpg
Nice bags; inside were the keys, BMW badges and red reflectors.
Picture 5034.jpg

Owner's Manual- How Nce.

Picture 5035.jpg
I need all the help I can get. Can't sing , can't dance, can't act. Can shimmy a little. I can assemble with proper supervison. :)
Bike will have a nice early 80's look. Now where's those rocker assembles and pushrods?

Gene's K75S need a new seats

Gene mentioned he needs to get his seat recovered. He didn't want his bike out of commission for a month or so. Told him I had a couple of spare K100 seats he was welcome to borrow. Was out in the garage and up in the rafters; so since I was shimmying for ST parts , will do the same for K bike seats.
Picture 5036.jpg
Nice looking seat, but totally impractible for anyone over 6' tall.

Attachments

• Picture 5037.jpg
    Picture 5037.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 117
Picture 5038.jpg
Took this Corbin over for a gackup. Gene's 5'9 so he should fit either on. This Corbin is over 20 years old and needs a new cover. But if I use the base , It'll be sent down to Russell Day Long.

Corbin Seats.

Corbin makes a good seat. I rode this seat for over 50,000 miles on my RT.
Picture 5039.jpg
You assembled a pretty good seat Rogelio. Back in the '90's, Leo and I were out on the west coast,Carmel Leguna Seca,vintage car road racing. Hobnobbing with the Rich and Famous like the old TV show. After we got through with that, we headed home. Leo wanted to stop in at the Corbin factory for a tour and to meet Mike Corbin. Leo had probably sold about 100 seats for Mike to his customers. Nice tour of the factory and facilities, pretty impressive. Leo had one guy build all his seats and I bebieve he got to meet him. Pretty impressive stuff back then. Then we got an audience with Mike Corbin himself. Very pleasant and informative. Really enjoyed that. Mike invited Leo and I to lunch. The Great Artichoke was the restaurant, very nice. And artichoke was part of the lunch. :thumb Thx Mike, you build good seats. I've accumulated probably 200,000 miles on them. Thx Leo, you know all the coolest people.

I guess I should add tht we were in Castroville, Ca. for that. Castroville being famous for Corbin motorcycle seats and is the Articoke Capital of the World. We pretty much cover everything here, we don't cull noth'in. :)

I see back on Post 2068 I credited Tucson as being in Ar., not Az. I have corrected 100's of people on this and now myself. So funny. :banghead

More Digging and Scratching ST Parts

The windshild finally makes an appearance. Right where I last put it. With all the other windshields I have. Unbelieveable. I'm jealous of all ya'll that live organized and disaplined lives. Impossible for me.
Picture 5042.jpg
The windshiel has a plastic coating, so I'm hoping to peel it off to a clear shield. It's only 30 years old. Glad it found it's way to me.
Picture 5043.jpg
Picture 5044.jpg
Quite abit of stuff on an oem windshield set. And you really pretty much have to have it all for assemble. This shield works R80ST's and standard R65's. My experience with similar setups on my R90, I expect great results.

The R80ST Bike Project

Picture 5048.jpg
No, the bike isn't a wreak. Some of the bolts are out of the headlight housing structure. If I remember correctly , I took this assembly apart to get the speedo unit out. That unit has been repaired.
Picture 5049.jpg
Test rode this bike and bought it on site. Never expected it to be this long on the turn around.
Drove over to Leo's and dropped off the bags and windshield.

Back