• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Balanceing Engine Cranks

Picture 4951.jpg
Picture 4952.jpg
Ron called me wanted me to come over and see him balance some car engine cranks. It would be the same for motorcycles. It's at another kinda halfass engine shop. Ron was using their equipment and about half the stuff was messed up. He wasn't a happy camper.

Ron got frusterated and he took off to get some good tools to do the job. I had some time on my hands. I went across the street to the Memphis National Cemetary. being a Civil War buff thought I would go over and do a little site seeing. Quite a few of the Union solders killed on the Sultana ship disaster are buried there. I hooked the people running the cemetary with the Sultana museum people to get them broucheres on the museum. A lot of folks go to the cemetary looking for Sultana info. I got that stuff done and started to look around.
Picture 4949.jpg
Picture 4950.jpg
They did have some pics on the wall of the disaster. They don't know where the victims are buried.

Mass Burial Grave

Ron's father and mother are buried here. Ron's father was killed in a military plane crash in 1949' He's buried there in a mass grave with the other 7 crew members. It's the only mass grave I'm aware of on a personal basis. Ron's mother is buried next to the mass grave. Ron was born a few months after his father's death.
Picture 4939.jpg
Ron's father is listed at the bottom, Raymond Wiginton. Pretty sad affair.

Actually Ron was cutting a key way in the welded up journal. He had to make up the clamp to hold the crank to the table. Half of the clamping fixture was missing. He said those pieces were probably there somewhere under all that junk and rubbish. Several full time employees came over and said that was the first time they saw that upright milling machine being used. Apparently the recently deceased long time owner was the only guy that knew how to operate the milling machine.

2017 Bikes on Beale Street-Memphis Tn.

This season brgan last week. Last night was my first night. Weather was perfect.
Picture 4972.jpg
Picture 4975.jpg
Lots of bikes in attendence. Most of the bikes know it's Wendesday and time for Beale.

Picture 4973.jpg
Gene, I'm jealous; I ain't ever been to the Barber motorcycle Vintage Week.
Picture 4963.jpg
Jack and Marshall standing by two of Marshall's /2's.

Bikes on Beale. Every Wendesday evening, 5-10pm. Traffic runs west to east. Plenty of nice restaurants and bars for dining and adult refreshments. There are plenty of pics and videos on the net to get the flavour of the event. Lots of bikes to see in one place. I try to attend a couple of nights during each month. I like downtown Memphis.

Vintage Motorcycle

Picture 4990.jpg
Picture 4993.jpg
Steve Herr- Owner, wrench, machinist, fabricator, hardcore rider.
Picture 4992.jpg
Bikes, bikes and more bikes.Steve works on just about all of them.

I've been knowing Steve for almost 30 years. Goes back to the old riding club we both belonged to, the Motorclassics.
Picture 4994.jpg
German built dirt bike. Steve said it's pretty badass.
Picture 4995.jpg
When I rode with Steve, he rode old British Triumphs. He joined a patch club; bought this H/D dresser and kinda wore it out.
Picture 5015.jpg
He loves riding back gravel roads on this Suzuki DR650. Steve's a rider.

Picture 4996.jpg
Steve fab'ed up this nice cylinder boring table. NICE JOB Steve.
Picture 4997.jpg
Steve designed and built this nice honing machine. :thumb

Picture 4998.jpg
This machine slowly rotates motorcycle gas tanks, loaded with material to clean the tank internals. After being cleaned and flushed, the tnk can be coated for use. Cool machine.
Picture 4999.jpg
Cool machine. I've sealed up tanks an shook them by hand for a coule of days to get the same result. This machine takes it to another level. :thumb

Back