• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Danny and Jacob went over to the cutoff saw and lopped a good piece off. Funny their gun ho on the hi-tech and a little slow on the old school stuff. Jacob had the bar locked down in the saw and was trying to measure his piece. The blade was a foot above the part. I reached over turned the valve and slowly dropped the blade down and stopped it just above the part. Jacob smiled, nodded and gave me a thumbs up. He made his measurement. I’m old school, but Jacob is off and running into the future with the computer age.

Danny and Jacob are dragging me kicking and screaming into the future. I’m trying to hold on to the past. They ain’t giving up on me.

Yes, it does. But it seems like a little overkill. At the school shop the other day I used a short broken off piece of a bandsaw blade.

CNC Mill

We’re moving on to the CNC Monday. Gotta preview Friday. Rick giving an early lesson.
BBEA0B9C-AE14-401C-B1E4-84F9AAA9D625.jpeg
X,Y, and Z axis. I think I see a rotary table on another machine. That’ll be a 4th axis. Danny and Jacob birddogging the instructions.:thumb

Shop tour

The Rains invited me down for a class study session. I couldn’t turn that down. After that, time to tour the shop. Danny does a good business in boat repair, but he really likes American muscle sports cars and motorcycles.
668F6B89-45C2-4E11-BDE0-330F0BE798E9.jpeg

F9E7A940-D826-4BEF-B51D-8235AC152DCD.jpeg
Cool early AMC Javelin getting new floor pans and a ton of more work. Danny does almost all his own work. Impressive.

28112999-EE01-4A86-8750-8B00F75AE143.jpeg
Engine bay of the Javelin is gonna look outstanding. Danny’s gotta lot of new pieces going into this resto.
2D946B75-80D6-4FDC-8F09-4D9D34CCC4B3.jpeg
Like this complete new steering column.

Work Piece

D1A3828D-267E-4449-89D4-082E1D51B4D7.jpeg
This is the piece that Danny and Jacob turned on the CNC lathe using the program they wrote and developed. I know it doesn’t look like much, but it’s a big step in writing a program; making a part and not crashing the machine. :thumb

Got my first shot on the CNC milling machining center. Removed the vise, cleaned the table, cleaned the bottom of the vise. Reinstalled the vise and installed the indicator. Trued the vise in 0 to 0 both ends. Locked it down and checked both ends again. 0 to 0 both ends. When the vise was removed it was set down on a table flat. Flipped the vise over on it’s side and cleaned the bottom with my hand. Barry, why do that. Vises are never set on their bottom mating surface. Gotta keep it clean and undamaged. I’m still behind on remembering codes and running a program. My mind/brain ain’t what it was.

Hope Ur enjoying the machine shop class. It’s a little different from the usual motorcycle stuff. Been a little eye opening for me as well. I spent over 25 years in all types of machine shops, this has been a challenge for me; probably due to me being a senior citizen. Got some more of this coming, then back to bikes.

Back