• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

I watched it run in practice and and at the races it participated in. I think we raced it three times. I really can’t remember. Seems like most Offy roadsters ran 150 to 175mph. Being streamlined should make it go faster. That was not really true. Smoky Yunick warned the Streamliner teams that the cars were unstable due to their large wheel openings. He stated that the wheelwells would give the cars lift. Which I believed happen In 1959. I think the Sumar Special did exactly that and the driver was killed. I’m guessing our driver never got the car over 100 mph. The Indy cars were mostly raced on large basically long straits ways with very long corners. Good for top speed. We raced on road racing tracks lots of turns and chicanes. They tended to slow down top speeds. At all of these types of races their are a lot of professional photographers shooting all the cars and selling the pics to the race teams. I’m sure that is where the pic came from. The car looks good in the pic. :thumb That car was a lot of work and never one of my favorites.

Moto, Moto, Man I was.... A Moto Man

29C5F460-60AC-4AD8-8693-5AFF71615477.jpeg
B88B148C-5AF6-46CE-80FC-53FFFA0BC215.jpeg
33C9B1C8-C5BA-49D8-9272-D3D27E86C006.jpeg
The box of pics I’ve been mining had some pics of me. Thought about it for a while, showing some old pics of me. Well here goes. On the bike, pleasant, stern. Ok, the old K-bike looks good, anyway.

View attachment 59309
Back in the late 60's and early 70's, Leo Goff built a lot of choppers. He built this one with the help of the first owner the late Art Grisanti. I think it's powered by a Honda 750-4. Art's long gone, but back in 1941 after Pearl Harbor, the very next day Art enlisted into the US Navy. Served with honers as a submariner in the Pacific Ocean Theater. Was repeatedly bombed, strafed, and torpedoed by the Japanese army, navy and air force. Great guy and a personal friend. His regular ride was a BMW '77 R100RS, he bought new. Glad John has the chopper now.

Was just discussing my friend Art Grisanti when we were taking his R100RS apart. Art had his own little collection of bikes. Art hung out with some bikers that owned Supercycle; two brothers, Ron and Lou Elliott. They built Harley and Japanese choppers. Art had one. Pretty cool.

Art and I did the easy disassembly, but Leo took the lead on the more complex reassembly. Watching Leo doing his thing working on bikes and cars is really a thing beauty. I never get tired of it. Leo gets to the problem, making up his parts list, on the phone with the order faxing or texting the info over to where it needs to go. It’s like watching a great play or opera. :dance

Obscure BMW Accessory

Seems like fairly common stuff BMW use to sell are disappearing right before our eyes. Just found out that the security cable that BMW sold for years is NLA.
01ACEA1C-3C97-4915-B0D8-BC3CACB19F5A.jpeg

Years ago I bought one to carry on my R90 as security. Seems I was always in the wrong part of town. Over time I purchased more bikes and I was always having to move the cable from bike to bike. Over time I finally got each bike it’s own cable. It would not surprise me if BMW brings it back. Seems like they sell out inventory; let it lapse, then bring it back.

CNC Machine Shop Class

Got the brilliant idea that I needed to take a modern machine shop class at the local junior college. I spent over 25 years in manufacturing shops, job shops, tool and die shops, automotive machine shops, medical device’s CNC shops. Class will be a piece a cake. Got my transcripts sent to the Junior college. Free tuition for senior citizens; I fit the bill. Cool. I’m a college student again, after a 40 year absence. Started out good, then all hell broke loose. The class

was kicking my ass. Got the college hand book out, the class is 19 credit hours. What!?. Four classes in one and a NIMS certification process. My goodness, all I wanted was to take a little machining course. I tried to quit about 5 times. U can’t Barry; Ur the class mascot. Class Mascot! Your by far the oldest student to ever get this far. All the other old geriatric students have quit the first week. They all said it was to much. Exactly! Anyway, got 3 classes in the can and the last one starting Monday.:hungover:banghead

Haas CNC Lathe

E11A362C-6556-4ECF-992C-7C707C92DA44.jpeg
Danny Rains and his son Jacob. Their rocking the class. Danny is a bulldog on this class. Jacob is a typical young computer geek. The CNC machine is like a computer game for him. Good job guys. Danny is taking the class with his son to keep him going. Good people, good family.

FE5C1C7A-C451-4D6D-A886-71C42F70E9D2.jpeg
Rick the instructor watching the Rains’s. Danny and Jacob are starting to write complex machining programs. I’m impressed.

113B3DE3-D8A2-4317-A22E-63FE49B8E9D9.jpeg
D942D31D-CFFC-4C31-90A3-043AD6878A74.jpeg
5 months ago I never heard of NIMS Certification. I’m now certified. That an a buck fifty, I gotta cup of coffee. I guess I got more certifications coming along with a pot of coffee.

View attachment 80878
Rick the instructor watching the Rains’s. Danny and Jacob are starting to write complex machining programs. I’m impressed.

The programs Danny and Jacob are writing are beyond the scope of this series of classes. They are covered in more advanced classes. That’s why I’m so impressed. They are highly motivated. I think Jacob is off to having a successful career in whatever he chooses to do. Good to see young people getting a good start in life. :thumb

Congrats to you. I cut my teeth in sheet metal and tool and die shops in the beginning of my career back in the 70’s but had moved on before CNC became the norm. With my love for computers I regretted never getting the chance to learn it and meld two of my passions.

I here ya Mike. If got mixed feelings about getting back into machining after all these years. I guess it was worth it to give my brain a good workout. I’m having second thoughts about actually going back to work in a machine shop or a manufacturing environment. I still have 4 weeks left in this class to get it finished up.

CNC Lathe

E8AA0D93-3D0A-4B8E-AE26-58F98683CB91.jpeg
Jacob setting the work offset. Danny on watch, observing. I think it’s pretty cool stuff, that why I’m posting these pics.

Danny saw a piece of material that was turned down to different sizes and radius’. What’s this? Rick answered the advance class wrote a program and ran this part. Rick said I’m writing a program and making my own part. Rick said Ok, go for it. I was Ol’ boy this should be interesting.:brow

Back