• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Early Allard

View attachment 58294
Got to do the 50 year anniversary reenactment of the Watkins Glen Road Race back in 1998. On the real track in town and out in the county. By accident we were allowed to be on the tract with the real cars that actually did the races back in the late 40's and early 50's. This car is a modified '52 Allard K2 painted by the famous artist Von Dutch. Known for painting customized cars and motorcycles. Leo Goff at the wheel and me navigating. If I remember right, Leo had built and installed a pretty hot 5.0 liter HO engine. Happy Days, like Richie and Fonsie. :thumb

Taking a break and ‘crusin’ in the Von Dutch Allard. Good times from the past.:thumb

Curator Par Exalance

View attachment 59568
I was a curator. Which meant I was the chief maid, gofer, janitor, flunky, detailer, driver, etc and so forth. 10 years of fun, excitement, travel, rally's, races, rubbing shoulders with billionaires, millionaires, royals, race car builders and drivers, race track personal, good folks, crooks, shysters, doctors lawyers and Indian chiefs. Good memories and experience's. Wouldn't do it again for a $1 million. Then again if you gotta a $1 million, need a curator, let's talk. :) 1949 Allard K1, powered by a Mercury flathead V8 It wasn't too fast, but it sure had a nice throaty flathead rumble. Chrome waterfall grill was kinda unique.

Remember this Leo.

Leo and Eric 'Scappy' Hughes

View attachment 46078
Eric and Leo on the warmup set. Very nice and bluesy. Eric did a tribute rendition of one of W.C. Handy's 1909 tune, about Beale St. 'If Boss Crump don't like it ain't goin to happen 'round here'. A little before my time, but it was pure Blue's.

When Leo ain't wrenchin and workin he's playin and giggin all over Memphis; here on world famous Beale St. with Scappy. If your in Memphis try to catch Leo at one of his many gigs. Well as soon as the country is opened up.

A couple of other things about the tool&adie shop at LooseLeaf. My Dad set it up so all the die's and tooling was done in house. When a new die was to be built my Dad would bid on it against outside tool&die shops. He always got the job for us in house. That meant all the guys got to build die's in house. This was a great moral builder for the shop. We built all the components and did all the heat treating. It was an exciting time in my life. Taking raw metal and processing it into into all the individual pieces, doing all our own heat treating, hardness testing, assembling the components on the die sets, putting them into the presses and getting good parts. These dies were very complex. The thumb levers were a 7 step progressive die. Neat to do the whole job to a finished die that made good parts. Funny, I can't remember the proper name of those thumb levers. Those and the arches are the parts I nickle, chrome, plated. I guess it's the on set of old timers disease.:scratch

I've been making decisions on motorcycles. Deciding what to keep and sell. Gotta deal going on with a buddy of mine to build my R80ST. He was talking about wanting a R80GS. Told him I had the next best bike a R80ST. I had parts of that bike allover my garage and shed, just a total disaster. Been moving bike parts over there for a few days. I've been collecting parts for 15 years. Stuff was everywhere and more still to find.
Finally found the heads.
View attachment 61466
I reworked these heads probably 15 years ago. Glad I finally found them. Now where's the pushrods and rocker arm assembly?
View attachment 61467
View attachment 61468
Was out in Tucson, Ar.,probably 10 years ago. Went to Iron Horse BMW. Seen a lot of their stuff in ON's, really over the top stuff. Had a good look around. Awsome dealership. Back in the parts sales dept.; saw this little leather bag on display. Kinda covered in dust. I remembered the old BMW sales ads on '89 R100GSPD. Those bikes had this bag on pictures. Cool looking, but almost really worthless as a bag. The tag read
If I remember $259 discounted to $199. I asked the sales clerk about a little more discount. Naw. OK. Went aroung the store and picked out some more stuff. Went to check out, sans leather bag. During the transaction the dept head came over. I saw you looking at the bag, your not buying it. Nope a little to steep for me today. He went over looked at the sticker. How about for today only $150. Sold! :thumb

Been discussing R80ST's; ran across this.

Putting a Bike Together

Redoing a bike, rebuild, restore, freshen up; all different terms to bringing a bike back to life. Some work I did, example the heads. Ordering parts off the internet or doing it the old school way. I went to the the national in West Bend, Wisconsin. After the rally went to the dealer in Chicago. They had good discounts back in the day. Ordered quite a bit of stuff in person. They handed me a good portion of the stuff on site. Some more of the stuff came in mail a short time later. I was in Az. some time ago, stopped in Iron Horse BMW for a visit. Found the leather touring bag on the shelf covered in dust. Made a deal on site. It’s not essential to the build, but it is a nice doodad to have on the bike for a bike show as a conversation piece. It’s almost like a scavenger hunt.

That engine was one I built to go in the Yellow Allard J2, it was a 265 Chevy engine, bored and stroked to 377 cu.in. 3 Rochester 97 carbs....3 Deuces!

Got it. I’m starting to get confused on which engine went to which car. U built a lot of engines and restored a lot of cars in that collection. Pretty impressive Leo.

Was looking for more stuff for the ST project. I reallly wanted to find the rocker arm assembly;No luck. Got up in the rafters and found a good size box; a set of Olymic saddlebags. Nice bags; a kinda of Krauser style knockoffs. Not what I'm looking for. Go to the other end of the garage and up in the rafters is a slightly smaller box. Gotta be the Moto Cases. Put this stuff up here ptobably 10 years ago; maybe a lot longer. Yep that's them. Shimmied up and got the box down. I could shimmy a lot better 10/15 years ago. Not so much now.
View attachment 61526
View attachment 61527
Nice bags; inside were the keys, BMW badges and red reflectors.
View attachment 61529

These bags are period to the ST. These are also the bags that BMW supplied for the GS's and PD'S of that era.

Back in '89-'90 BMWNA had adds showing the '89 R100GSPD going all out with all the BMW accessories, the rider outfitted with then BMW off round riding suits. It had the Moto cases and the little black leather utility case. Wow, it got my attention. The boss of the race team bought that exact model and I got to ride it on a regular basis. I usually ride it to lunch, then 20/30 miles around Memphis. Kinda daydreamed that I was up in the Alps, riding to Macu Pichu, across the Sahara, then back to reality as I got back to the shop. It got all kinds of attention wherever I went. The Harley riders tried to act like they wern't looking. When it was parked and I was gone, I'd catch them setting up and checking it out.

Made a delivery in Chattanooga; noticed a BMW GS back in the corner of the parking lot. Told the guy there a bout the ST back at the dealer; told him to go and buy that bike. Don't know if he did. Probably not. I didn't because I already had one. :dunno

More Pics of Leo Giggin in Memphis

Was out last night in Memphis, Tn., went over to listen to the Legendary Memphis Bassist Leo Goff. Leo was sitting in with Eric (Scrappy) Hughes on guitar and lead vocals, his brother Walter on lead guitar, and Brian Aylor on drums. They were in top form. Explained to Brian that I was an accomplished semi-professional listener, and that I really appreciated his ability to play those drums tight and loose at the same time. He was in total agreement. :groovy The venue was the Dirty Crow Bar and Grill on Crump Blvd. next to the Budweiser Distribution Co. :thumb

Leo playin bass for Scrappy.

1989 r100gspd

00123534-0739-4B8A-90ED-8A025964621F.jpeg

Always thought this was one cool bike. Was a car and motorcycle curator for a collection of vehicles. The boss owned this exact model. Rode it once a month to lunch then 20/25 miles to work the bike out. Felt like I was the King of the World. What a bike.

Back