• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

I get mine on digits. Because they inbed so much additional material and media within the digital copy I just stick with it. Cheaper also.

Last edited:
Old Millington Winery/Jack Purtle Chicken

Gotta get outa the house. Maybe head over to the Winery. Time to have a visit with Perry and Kerry Welsh. Just a old fashion redneck/hillbilly afternoon. :thumb

Mid-South-Ride-Eat- Meet

Jack Purtle's Chicken- It's a Memphis Thing!- their motto. I'm kinda forgettin my mission. Mid-South Ride Eat and Meet. Jack Purtle's is a Memphis original. Really ought to be called Jack Pirtle's Chicken Gravy and Biscuit. I'm usually in a rush to get to the winery and hungry, so I stop at the one in Frayser at 890 Thomas. I always buy extra. When I get to the winery, I go in an get a bottle come out and find a picnic table. When the locals see me pull out the box of chicken, they kinda laugh and put down my selection. It don't take long for them to come over and tell me they love the chicken gravy and biscuit. Can I have one? It's so funny, but I always share. Yesterday the wine selection was muscadine.
Picture 717.jpg
Picture 718.jpg
Picture 722.jpg

Picture 720.jpg
Picture 721.jpg
I think there are 8 stores in Memphis and most are located in the not so nice areas, I really don't care cause I'm stoppinp to get me some of that chicken gravy and biscuit. It's a Memphis Thing. I like Elvis, too. :)

Oh, the Slaw to me is just so so. I also tear the fried chicken skin off, then tear off strips of meat and dip it in the gravy as well. :thumb

Enjoyed seeing you Barry....Remember the 2016 Rams Rally is coming up

View attachment 57920
View attachment 57921
Enjoyed lunch and the pleasant camaraderie. Thx Marshall for the pic collage. Marshall is a very proficient photogapher.

Thanks for posting the photos of the August Rams monthly meeting. It was a nice meeting and it was nice visiting with everyone who attended, as usual. Remember the Rams Rally the weekend of September 30th - October 2nd at Parker's Crossroads RV Park & Campground, Parker's Crossroads, TN. We expect to have a great rally this year and welcome all members of the BMW community to attend. Here is a list of some of the highlights of the rally:

Friday and Saturday nights tent camping, a pancake breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, Saturday evening dinner, endless coffee, lemonade and ice water at rally central, self-guided motorcycle tours, live music, and the legendary RAMS Door Prizes.

Rally pins for the first 150 registered.
RAMS Swap Meet on Friday & Saturday.
Restrooms with hot showers plus port-a-potties on site.
Ice and food items for sale at the on-site camp store.
Campfires are allowed in designated fire rings and firewood will be provided.
Mileage and age awards for BMW motorcycles ridden to the Rally.

Interested? Check out further information at http://bmwrams.com/the-rams-rally Hope to see you there, Barry.

Tn. Welcome Center Memphis, Tn./Paul Miles/Blues

Picture 723.jpg
Picture 724.jpg
Picture 739.jpg
Went over to the Welcome Center in Memphis to deliver some Sultana Brochures from the Marion museum. Paul was giving an off the cuff free rendition of his Blues rendition. He was very good. He posed with the legend, B.B. King. Sometimes being somewhere at the right time is all important. 'Peace and Blues' my brother.

BBQ Tour Continues

Rays World Famous Bar-B-Que & Catering
Picture 738.jpg
Picture 730.jpg
Picture 728.jpg
Located at the junction of I-40/I-55 in West Memphis Arkansas
You can't judge a book by it's cover. Nice little BBQ joint. Caters to the truckers at all the truck stops down the street on MLK Blvd.

Rays BBQ/West Memphis Ar.

Picture 734.jpg
Picture 735.jpg
The one and only Mr. Ray. 40 years in business. Open 6 days a week. Said he attends church on Sundays for Bible study and worship.

Picture 736.jpg
Large pork sandwich plate. I just used my fork and could only finish about 1/2 of it. I told Ray I wasn't as hungry as I was when I came it. That gotta laugh. All good, enough for a meal tomorrow.
Picture 726.jpg
Picture 727.jpg
Ms. Jewel fixing my pulled pork sandwich.
Good food and good folks.

Rays BBQ

Picture 731.jpg
Picture 732.jpg
Picture 733.jpg
Small restaurant, probably hold 12-16 customers at a time. You can probably go in and have the place to yourself. most of his business is taking deliveries to the truckers.

Yea, we ain't got snow capped mountain vistas or ocean front beaches; what we got is the Big Muddy, BBQ, Catfish, and the best Blues and Rockabilly in the world. :thumb

Last edited:
Ya ain't going to believe it. But at 63 years old and 6'2" tall, I'm a svelte 180 lbs. Ain't to bad looking either. All due to having kinda tall and slim and good looking mom and dad. Lucky me. Just teasin. . Lotta folks in these parts have health issues due to southern style cookin. Hopeing I'll getta pass There's a lot of bad news come out of this area. Just trying to show some of the better stuff and people around here.

Cool S 1000 XR PP Edition

Was looking at the cool S 1000 XR Pikes Peak Edition on the cover of the ON's. Got me to thinking. My R1100RS probably has similar ergos and a lot of upgrades and is only down about 70HP. Maybe up it to 1200cc, higher compression, bigger valves, bigger throttle bodies, twin spark it ,etc., etc. Probably, maybe about $3000+ in costs I'd still be down only about 50HP. Like I use to tell some of my customers, want more power and torque; get a bike that already has it. Then again if you love the challenge, hassle, have deep pockets and your half crazy; go for it. :thumb

Crossroads Cafe/ West Memphis, Ar.

I like showcasing nice Mom/Pop local restaurants. Crossroads fits the bill to a T. Been going here a long time. Even years ago when it was Granny's Front Porch.
Picture 745.jpg
Picture 746.jpg
You know I ain't going to steer you wrong. The place is usually full for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Back