• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Marshall/R1100RS

Picture 5485.jpg
Picture 5486.jpg
Marshall has bought and sold 100's of motorcycles. This is one of them. This one was owned by the late Paul Rhodes. Marshall is now heping in the sale of the bike for the estate. Marshall road this bike in the past to many rallies and nationals all over the country.

Beale Street Bike Nite

This bike night will continue every Wednesday night till around October. 5pm till around 10pm. Lots of nice restaurants on and around Beale. Nice event.:thumb

Shelby Forest Store

Since I was back home, I got ta do Wendnesday Bike nite. Sunday is a big local riding day north of Memphis. It was hot 95' plus, so bike traffic was kinda sparce. Ist stop Shelby Forrest Store.
Picture 5506.jpg
Picture 5507.jpg
Picture 5508.jpg
Just follow the signs.

Shakerag, Tn.

Not a lot happening at the store, drove the backroads up to ShakeRag.
Picture 5523.jpg
It's at the corner of West Union and Rankin Branch. Just ask any local biker they'll direct you there.
Picture 5522.jpg
They had a band playing. They were good but a little too loud for my old ears. It was really to hot to have a band outside.
Picture 5525.jpg
Some of the bikes road in.

Picture 5526.jpg
My buddy Sundown's custom chopper.
Picture 5528.jpg
Another buddy, Tech's victory; 150,000 miles with no problems.
Both these guy's have other bikes and they really do a lot of riding. Between the 2 of them they have belonged to every patch wearing club in the Midsouth. I've rode a lot with the both of them in the past. Thy both tried many times to get me to join. Nope every time. They finally gave up . But I still get the invites to ride. Tech said the club he rides with now has a few BMW riders. Interesting.
Picture 5529.jpg
Sundown and Ginger heading home. Time to get home to the house and some AC.

If by chance you find yourself in the Memphis, Tn. All is not lost in finding some decent places to ride and eat. A good easy going day trip is just north of Memphis and all in Shelby County. Good riding west side of Highway 51. The places I've just texted are all in the area. Shelby Forest General Store, ShakeRag Bar and Grill, Old Millington Winery and vineyard, Meemen Shelby Forest, and Pig&Whistle Restaurant. All are listed as Millington, Tn. Address's. all have good web sites for location, address, amenities, hours etc. It's good pastoral, country riding. Riding the bluffs along the river can be quite refreshing and the ride down to the river in Shelby Forest will entertain you. Seeing the river is it's own experience. Ride and enjoy. :thumb

IMG_0265.jpg
Don Quales came by for a visit. Drank about a gallon of water to hydrate himself. Then off to Little Rock for a doctor's visit.

You've met my buddy Ron Wiginton before. Doing some simple machining for me, doing sreet and racing heads. Building complete street and racing engines in a variety of cars. Many years ago Ron did a lot of work for Lunati Cams, now he's working at Bullet Cams in several capacities. Rebuilding old cam grinding machines that will be modernized to the computer age and any other machining machining job as needed. The other day he was on a CNC cam grinding machine as one of the regular cam grinder machinists was off with medical issues. He knocked all the cam blanks out in quick fashion. They were impressed. He told me it was like old times at Lunati. They have a computerized camshaft doctor to get all the demensions off any camshaft. Such as cam lobe geometry, lift, duration, spherical shapes that control valve actuation in the head. He wanted to get a cam out of one of my spare airhead engines. Ron, that's a little easier said than done. Most BMW airhead engines have a long service life in the basic engine, which includes the crank and cam. Yes we can get one apart, but the cost of new seals, gaskets, bearings, and all the other pieces is cost prohibitive to reassemble. I called our buddy Leo Goff about a airhead cam he might have laying around. Yep, he said he was disassembling an airhead engine shortly and we could use the cam out of it. Good. He was also interested in seeing the readout from cam doctor himself. Leo said they did themselves good when they got Ron over there. Hopefully we can get some pics of an airhead cam being checked out on the cam doctor machine. :thumb

Garfield Get's Some Justice

Lost my 2 cats earlier this year. Lost Garfield in a vicious dog attack. Some what good news about that. The city animal control department was after getting the dog in custody. The owner had a 6' wood fence, but the dog could easily climb it, with no problem. The owner chained the dog in the backyard to secure it. The dog broke free from that and climbed the fence, the lease/chain got hung in the top of the fence and the dog hanged it self to death. :thumb Good riddance.
My other cat Fluffy and old male finally kicked the bucket. I really wanted a new cat.

I was out in the back yard back in the spring and a little grey ball of fur showed up out of nowhere. A few days of coaxing, a bowl of milk/cat food and a bowl of water and got her in the house.
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg
Smoke plays hard and sleeps hard.

Back