• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Headin over to meet up with the Mummies at Kudzu's on Monroe Av., then over to Beale St. for Bikes on Beale. Time to pull the R50 out & ride.

Beale was over the top as usual. 3 top bikes were Fred Godwin and his early 70's Moto Guzzi V7, Jack Brown and his mid 70's Norton 850 Commando. Both these guys keep all their bikes in immaculate shape. A young guy had an over the top old school Triumph boober and it was getting all sorts of looks and see by all the riders and pedrestrians. It really meets the level of total coolness. I was lookin at bike tags and I'm startin to see a lot of out of state plates, excluding Tn, Ar., Ms. . Riders are comin in from all over.

2112 The Last RTS Rally

Apparently the last Return To Shiloh Rally will be held this year. It has been sponsored by the BMWRAMS for I believe 38 years. There is some conflict with the TVA about the rally. This rally has been held at this site for 38/39? years with the same name and club; not bad. The motto of the rally for years has been 'The Best Rally by a Dam Site'. For this year only, it will be 'The Last Dam Rally'. If I understand correctly the rally this year is FREE to participants. Pay for your camping. Go to the BMWRAMS web site for more info. The date of this last rally is Oct. 5-7. Hopefully the new site will be found and announced at the rally. The times, they are a achangin and the RAMS will move on and the club and new rally will prosper and be better than ever. Look forward to seein all yall at The Last Dam Rally. :groovy:clap:buds

Almost as funny as post #225 and the Triumph boober. It's either a new class of bike or well endowed. :hungover:banghead I mean well. :wave

I did make it over to bikes on Beale last night and had a good time. Due to the big fireworks show planned downtown for the 4th, on Wendesday there will not be Bikes on Beale this Wendesday. With the temps starting to get into the 100's, it's going to get tough being outside. Hot and humid Memphis summer is here.

Sunday breakfast and ride

Gotta a email from Paul Whitworth, meet at Sara Lee's for breakfast in Frazier, Memphis suburb, this mourning at 7:00 and a short ride after. Try to beat the heat. I showed up about the same time as Paul and Hank Widdop. That was it. Good breakfast. Most of the discussion was on the search for a new rally site. After the breakfast feast we went outside to the bikes and the discussion was on for the short ride. They decided they wanted to ride to John's Boatdock in Randolf in Tipton County. That's a pretty fer piece and ain't easy to find. It was decided that I would lead the 3 bike convoy. It's actually one of the more beautiful rides in west Tn. . I lead off with them in tow. I got us there in good order and they were impressed with my leadership and riding skills. Not! We got there and parked, went in and had a adult beverage. A gentleman came that I had worked with back in the 70's came in and We got reacquainted. He was one tough sob. Back in the day I heard that he had been shot several times and survived. This was in the late 70's. Back then I asked him to see the bullet holes. He pulled his shirt up and show the scars of 7 bullet holes. Like I said one tuff dude. He was glad to get reacquainted. Told me he had just turned 76. Time sure flies by, as it's been over 30 years. Took a different way back, a little closer to the Mississippi River. We stopped in a the Millington Winery. It was an hour till opening time. My riding partners departed home to beat the heat. I stayed and got a bottle of my favorite wine Delta blush. Polished off the wine and headed home in 102/3' temps. Hot! My little '71 R50/5 ran like a top all day. :thumb

Got a load offer over to West Point, Ga.. coming back thru Birmingham, Al. I stopped in at BMW of Birmingham. This was yesterday. Pulled in and the place was empty. There was a note on the door about being closed today July the 4th, nothing about being closed the 3rd. I just came on home.

The Old Bike Club July meeting

July meeting at Bubba's Ale House and Grill. 6:00/6:30 till we leave. 7041 Hwy 64 Bartlett. Next to Memphis. I know it's hot, drive the car. Just show up and share the comraderie. :wave

The meeting was excellent as usual and since the Bikes on Beale was cancelled for one week; worked out great. The hamburger, onion rings, and cold Bud draft hit the spot. Had about 20 riders and some neat bikes. If your in Memphis on the first Thursday of the month feel free to join us.

I've been talkin with my buddy Ron. Ron's trying to fix up his '75 R90/6 on the cheap. He's got it running and is ridding it some. he wanted more sound out of his stock pipe. He doesn't have a computer, so I found a couple of articles on opening up the mufflers. One was a Snowbum'article and the other was titled Black Tie Beemer. Both open up the muffler for a little more sound; lookin forward to the results. Another buddy, Tony, makes up K bike heat shields. He called and needed me to come by on my K100 to fit them up. He had several sets sold and needed to bend up the brackets. Went by and he fitted up all the sets. Ron lives down the street, so I rode on over and delivered muffler articles. The old '87 K100 ran like a top. First time I had ridden it in a while. If anyone needs K bike heat shields, let me know and I'll hook you up with Tony.

Went to Bikes on Beale last night for my usual good time. Crowd of bikes was much smaller than usual. I guess the most interesting thing was watching Marshall Robilio having such a good time with all the folks coming up and asking about his R69US. Marshall is 84 and still going strong. He an his group are headed to Sturgis, Ky. next week for the Little Sturgis Bike Week. I hope I have the energy to keep riding and going to rallies at 84. Marshall, this one's for you! :thumb

The Old Bike Club has a little ride meet and eat this Sunday. Meet at the Circle K 7:00 am, Covington Pike and Austin Peay, Memphis; and ride to the Shelby Forest General Store for breakfast. I'll probably just ride over to meet them at the store. If, I'm lucky maybe I'll see some BMW riders on I-55/I-40 headed to Sedalia. Lucky dogs.

Ride cancelled/resonstituted

Bob cancelled the ride until next week and Hank Widdop stepped up with a new plan. Meet in Frasier at Sarah Lee's Kitchen 4040 N. Watkins just off 51 Hiway. 7:15 to meet for breakfast, then a ride. I think he implied that I was to lead the ride. :banghead What's up with that?:scratch

Took a load over to Nashville, then a 2nd load over to Mt. Vernon, Il.. Coming home south down I-57/ I-55 saw quite a few beemers headed to Sedalia. Wish I cxould be there.
l

Thx Donna, I'm really ashamed not to have gone. I can't believe I let that happen. Some times there are events that come into play that have to come ahead of my motorcycle life. From what I can tell the Rams had a grand time at the rally.Look forward to the last RTS rally and finding a new home for our rally in the future. Barry

Riding in the Midsouth

The Rams are moving our to a new location for 2013. One of the criterion frequently mentioned is being in an area for good riding. I've been studying this and really people do not come to the Midsouth for over the top riding. there is one exception. The Rams have a spring meeting on the Buffalo River in the Ozarks Mnts. of Arkansas. This area has over the top riding roads, example Push Mountain Road. But, most likely this area will not be picked for the rally. Talking to one of the members about sites being considered, his remark was 'Wop De Do'. This disaparageing remark concerned Crowley's Ridge Pkwy area.Yes, compared to Push Mtn Rd. Anyway, I've been searching out roads that that are closer to Memphis to maximize what few roads we do have that can almost be interesting.

BMW dealers in Denver Colorado area

I'm on the road, hauled some freight to beautiful Colorado, Louisville to be exact. Stopped in at Foothills BMW and now I'm at BMW of Denver where I'm posting this text on their complimentary computer upstairs. Both are really excellent lookin places. Really nice. Had a good visit with Ben Kam over at Foothills, saw a really nice '78 R100S for sale. At BMWDenver saw a excellent R80ST for sale. I've got the exact model at home, same color, too. silver. Quess I'll look around some more here at Denver and see what they have for sale. :bikes

Back