Page 258 of 258 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 256 257 258
Results 3,856 to 3,863 of 3863

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Memphis - Midtown

I've been spending my Sundays heading north outa Memphis on Highway 51and a little west toward the river and the bluffs; good stuff; but thought it was time for a change. I needed some tasty grub, cold beer and Free music. Aw, yes; Huey's on Madison Av.; Midtown.

Huey's Mid-Town

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Pic from the past, on my R50.
    1927 Madison
    901 726 4372
    Yep, at the corner of Madison and Tucker. Been going here over 40 years.

Got one of my fav's here, classic Huey's cheeseburger. Every year they have the 'Best in Memphis' awards, I think Huey's has won best burger in Memphis probably 20 times or more, it's a winner. That took care of an empty stomach.

The Band--The Bugalloos

The band was perfect for the evening. Old school soft rock fern bar favorites. I didn't even need my usual ear plugs.

You know those songs, Sweet Caroline by Neal Diamond, the Pina Colada song by Rupert Holmes, anything by the Monkees. Yep, it don't get any better than that. I knocked back a more than a few Yeanling draft's; tasty. They were going down pretty smooth. Perfect for that fern bar ambiance. There was a group of local highschool grads from 1970; they got pretty rowdy. Fern bars do that to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    In between all that top shelf music and cold beer, I nailed a few toothpicks in the ceiling. The straws make a great blowgun.

Got to thinking about Hueys and the history of Overton Square in Midtown. Adult beverages, good food, Memphis music, the night life of the Mid-South. Thomas Boggs, comes to mind. Who? He was one of the members of the band the Boxtops. You may rember they had a few hits in the 60's. 'The Letter' was probably their one big hit. It seems everytime you turn around in Memphis your running into somebody that has or had a connection to the music or enertainment industry.

Thomas was also one of the driving forces of the Memphis enertainment industry in the Overton Square/Midtown area. He was one of the managers of TGI Fridays and was the original owner of Hueys back in the day.