• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

6EB4BD4A-5B62-4117-843B-28A1431BFD64.jpeg
11B42836-DE50-48B1-BF8B-13A56253A8FB.jpeg
A quick stop at the Winery, then a short stay at the Old Airport Club, then home just after dark. Kinda tired and ready to call it a day

Back in the day, I rode day and night. Now riding much at night is an adventure I can LIVE without. The eyes, balance, dexterity, reflexes, and all that junk ain’t what it use to be. Time for a new pair of glass’s for a start. :)

Polar Bear Ride 1-1-2022

New Years Day Ride, all welcome. Meet at Shell Station/Circle K. Highway 64 and Germantown Road, Memphis. Meet at 9:30AM leave at 10:00AM. Ride to Shelby Forest General Store. Short visit then ride into Shelby Forest then to the Mississippi River Ramp for a photo opportunity. I plan to ride if the weather cooperates. My ride will start at my house to the General Store to meet the group ride, around 10:30.:brow

Polar Bear Ride- Not

Planned on doing the ride. I really wanted to be part of a group ride. Rain, wind, storm fronts; I couldn’t pull the trigger on the ride. I ain’t the rider I use to be. Planned to ride today.
B9F81BCC-0246-4AD9-9A57-1309F829CE68.jpeg
Again, not to be. But it would be good for a real polar bear.

Mirror & Hand Guard Install

2AC64438-A93F-48C6-8AA1-9B4165A78A67.jpeg
I like it. Hand guards kinda help block the cold. Mirrors look good, hope they work on the road. Been riding with no rear view mirrors for a month. Definitely not good. Still waiting on the little part to mount the shield.

Supposedly when U run the wider USA bars U use the shorter stem mirrors. When U run the Euro S bars, U use the longer stem mirrors. I may wish I had gotten the longer stem mirrors. Will soon find out.:scratch
A6DD260B-DB4F-480E-BD41-FA4D533A0149.jpeg
6756AF70-14F8-4EAE-BB63-AE5B92C8C900.jpeg

Rode Over to Old Airport Club

E89A3FAB-D781-4F9C-91B2-1E55BEB4038E.jpeg
55189209-FEAE-4871-A96D-F7315CE5BA1E.jpeg
I think the old airhead looks really good in night photo.
D938F974-02D3-425B-904E-84E5A431B3DE.jpeg
Jess and Cam checking the patio lights. Good job, they work.;)

Riding to York, Pa.

Sitting around the house bored to death. Ran across this old packet of photo’s from back in the day. Riding to York, Pa. to the MOA National.
8D4B3270-854C-4C83-A5DC-563A73CD8CCD.jpeg
Riding with my partner at that time, Greg Parrish. He started me riding in the early 80’s.
6D3552B7-3E64-4620-AE21-EC4AD841CEC4.jpeg
Collecting fire wood on way. To save money, we camped free behind old buildings and barns anywhere we wanted or needed. Loved it, we was riding gypsies. Young and stupid. Now I’m old and still stupid, glad I still get to ride. :)

Check out the hi-viz bag on the back of my ‘74 R90/6. I was ahead of my time. A lot of riders thought I was crazy. I was a pioneer in motorcycle visibility and the pioneers take the arrows.

Helge Peterson World Motorcycle Rider

84E23F0C-07AA-474C-8233-03CB94495A02.jpeg
Actually BMW Royalty, WOW, one of the greats. Didn’t really know it at the time. The guy had a vision, like no other. The thing was, he completed his vision.:bow

R100gs

66F29F82-01A7-43E3-A048-A3D3C1CA3B53.jpeg
Saw a few of these at the national; I was intrigued. My idea was to move up to a modern K100. But, seeing these GS’s caught my interest. Riding with Greg; we were always taking our street oriented /6’s down rough
dirt and gravel roads and primitive camping. Greg had grown up riding both dirt bikes and street bikes. In a lot of ways Greg was one of the best riders I ever met. Being a good off road rider made U a better street rider. Well, at this time I was in a steep learning curve.

My Motorcycle Passion

Riding to and attending the York, Pa. MOA National was quite the experience for me. I started to see the size of the club. Seeing 1,000’s of fellow BMW there, let me know that I wasn’t the only one with this motorcycle passion/addiction. Riding to the National, I was a newbie, after the rally I was an old veteran. My focus was the next ride, run, rally. Riding my motorcycle, was it for me.

Making The Jump

Made the jump from local day rides to cross country rides. I liked commuting, day rides, hitting the local bars, hanging with the bikers. Hearing talk of group overnight rides outa town. Riding and seeing the USA from the seat of my motorcycle hit the spot. Had to get my gear together to camp out with those crazy Beemer rider. My geometric riding circle kept expanding getting larger. My bike became my travel partner. Getting back home, people were asking; where have U been? Wished I could do that. I had the right bike, rode with the right people and went to the cool places. I got plans for more rides coming up. The Naturally Beemer Rally and the MOA National in Springfield, Mo.are on the list. I’m getting my gear together. :brow

Back to School Part II

I’m back at Ark. State Mid-South Junior College taking general machine shop. I’m here as basically a Adjunct full time student. A year and half ago I was here taking the CNC machining course. Some at the college consider that one of the hardest courses here. 19 credit hours of work. I passed, but it kinda kicked my butt. Now I’m here to freshen up my general machine shop skills working with the old school conventional lathes, mills, surface grinders, etc.. I did this work for 20 years back in the 70’s and 80’s. Rick the instructor asked what I wanted to start on. The lathe, which is the machine I started on back in the mid 70’s. I’m basically a 69 year old retread intern. Watch the movie ‘The Intern’, that pretty much sums it up. Robert DeNiro plays the 70 year old intern, I’m turning 69 this year.

Right now I have the place to myself, kinda eerie. The place the size of a basketball arena, but really quiet. Kinda sad really. There ought to be 20 or so young students here getting their skills developed to join the work force. Where are they?

Simple Old School Machining

B4236B28-ADF0-473B-AD26-BB0A59C520EF.jpeg
Took my smallest machinist tool box to class, easier to work out of than the loaner tool boxes. Making parts to fix some the lathes, in this case a simple pin that helps drive the lead screw.
F8689057-D08D-443E-8161-022030233A51.jpeg
Chips a flyin. Just like the old days, when I was a young machinist. I think I still got it.

Back