• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Scenic Walkway

Scenic walkway along the Memphis Bluff. Great views of the Wolf and Mississippi Rivers and downtown Memphis.

Confederate Park

IMG_0893.jpg
IMG_0895.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg
Civil War era type artillery pieces. This park had original canons from it's inception. At the beginning of WWII, they were removed and melted down and used in the war effort. After the war, small WWII artilliary pieces were put in the park as replacements. Recently they were removed and replica Civil War pieces installed. More appropriate to the history of the park.

West Tennessee Music, Food, History, Sites, Rides

The four bluffs are numbered 1-4, north to south. Fort Pillow, Randolph, Shelby Forest, Memphis. If your in the Memphis area, visiting for the music, Beale St., Elvis, Graceland, BBQ, history, etc., you may be looking for a nice ride in the area. Ride the four bluffs. The bluffs have an Ozark hills feel. Up, down, around with nice overlooks over the Mississippi River. Get your info at the Memphis downtown welcome center on Riverside Dr.. Great music, food, sites, riding are all here. :thumb

Southwest Tn. Fine Tuned Riding Area

It's pretty easy to figure out that Bluff #4 is downtown Memphis overlooking the Mississippi and Wolf Rivers. The other 3 are north of Memphis. It's a kind of a triangle area; the Mississippi River is the western border, the eastern line is Tn. Highway 51 from Memphis up to Ridley. The third and northern line is Highway 19 from Ridley to Golddust and Fort Pillow. The 3rd Bluffs are in Meeman-Shelby Forest SP. The road down to the river is behind the hq. Great ride up and down on that Bluff. 2nd Bluff is Randolph, Tn., see the Civil markers on the Bluff. Some markers are kinda behind the Methodist and a little north. Ride down a little closer to the river to John's Boat Dock. It's a regular stop for the bikers looking to get a cold adult beverage. If their cooking catfish, getcha some. The 1st Bluff is a little longer ride. There is no bridge over the Hatchie River close. Ride back out to Highway 51 to Covington then Ripley, then Highway 19 to Golddust and Fort Pillow State Park. Tour the Fort and state park area. It's really a step back in time.

Several stops I feel that just match up with ride are the Old Millington Winery, Shelby Forest General Store, Shake Rag Bar and Grill, Pig & Whistle Restaurant. All these are Millington, Tn. Addresses. Just hilighting these, and there are others. So, if your ever stuck in Memphis, along with Beale Street, and downtown clubs and restaurants there is some interesting rides in the area. Ride and enjoy. :)

Ripley, Tn. Not Ridley. :scratch Who writes this junk? Me. :hungover
Yes, the top line of the triangle is RIPLEY to Fulton just past Fort Pillow on Highway 19.

Detailed Self Analysis

I was born left handed, with a lot of freckles on my nose and a cowlick in my hairline. That explains it. :dunno. 10,000 comedians outa work and I'm trying to be one. :) I need some couch time with a Shrink.

California Forest Fires

Like everyone else, I've been watching the disaster in California. These fires are an almost an annual event
all over out west. My uncle Roy Kaden got a first hand experience with one of these fires back in 1931 or 1932 as a 15 year old train hobo in Northern California. More specifically Plumas National Forest. I guess about 100 miles north of where the Santa Rosa's fires are now burning. His picture was some how taken and and quite a few years later published in a June 1937 issue of Life Magazine. The article was about Forest Fires out West destroying 40,000,000 acres of timber annually. It had all the usual pictures of rangers on horseback, firetowers, and pics of the fire. All pictures are black and white.
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg

Train Hobo's Fighting the Firen

[SUB][/SUB]IMG_0333.jpg
My uncle is the man helping carry the man upright out from the fire. The guy is no doubt overcome by smoke, heat and physical exhaustion. My uncle is looking at the man as he holds him up. My uncle had large hands for a man his size and you can see it in the pic. The county sheriff and state police came to the railroad yard and gave all these hobo's a choice; volunteer to fight the fire or go to jail. My uncle and these other hobos obviously volunteered.

Life magazine

IMG_0327.jpg
June 28, 1937 10cents
My uncle said he was sitting in a barbershop waiting for a haircut and picked up this magazine issue and saw his picture in the article. Unbelievable. My late uncle was part of the greatest generation; he wouldn't recognize the country now, I'm guessing.

That's a great story. It's nice to have a record of your relatives' experiences. Write down the whole story and keep it with the magazine so it is never accidentally tossed by someone who does not realize the significance of the article.

I found it interesting that the article reports fires covering 40 million acres annually. Media coverage made me guess that this year's fires would have been much worse. Checked for a reference and found that the National Interagency Fire Center provides daily reports here:https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

This year about 8.6 million acres have burned, and the ten-year average is at 6 million.

I wonder, how much of the difference is due to better fire fighting, and how much is the result of smaller forests?

From what I understand, fighting forest fires is still pretty much hand to hand combat. They still use shovels, rakes, hoes, and other hand tools along with modern power tools. Bulldozers, chainsaws, etc. to build fire breaks. Airplanes and helicopters dropping water and flame retardent from the sky. It's just plain, dangerous, nasty, dirty business. Probably a whole lot more people living closer to the fire zones now than in the 1930's.

My uncle joined the Army Air Corps around '36. Sometime around '39/'40 he was on flight crews ferrying planes to Hawaii and the Philippines. Got his wings I think in '43 and trained pilots through the war years. Stayed in the Air Corps, when it transitioned to the U.S Air Force. Was the pilot on a SAC secret mission back in '52. Flew over the Artic Circle spying on the Russians. This was pre U2 era. Big slow RB-50 used for Reconnaissance. Had a successful mission. He wrote a short book about it, which is on the internet. I think it's called the Roy E. Kaden Story. Cold War secret mission. Declassified after 50 years. All the crew members got their medals presented at that time. Roy went to several of the presentations, given to crew members personally or their dependents. His short book can be read in about 30 minutes to an hour. Kinda neat reading about someone you know. Click on all the chapters and attachments. His obit under his name as a resident of Maumelle, Ar. is
also an interesting read. His passing was in 2010. From dirt poor hobo to to flying top secret missions defending America. Only in America.

Back