Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 173 174 175
Results 2,611 to 2,621 of 2621

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Ripley, Tn. Not Ridley. Who writes this junk? Me.
    Yes, the top line of the triangle is RIPLEY to Fulton just past Fort Pillow on Highway 19.

Detailed Self Analysis

I was born left handed, with a lot of freckles on my nose and a cowlick in my hairline. That explains it. . 10,000 comedians outa work and I'm trying to be one. I need some couch time with a Shrink.

seat time with a bike is better
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT gone but not forgotten
    14 Victory Crossroads

Bullseye! Your on the money.

California Forest Fires

Like everyone else, I've been watching the disaster in California. These fires are an almost an annual event
    all over out west. My uncle Roy Kaden got a first hand experience with one of these fires back in 1931 or 1932 as a 15 year old train hobo in Northern California. More specifically Plumas National Forest. I guess about 100 miles north of where the Santa Rosa's fires are now burning. His picture was some how taken and and quite a few years later published in a June 1937 issue of Life Magazine. The article was about Forest Fires out West destroying 40,000,000 acres of timber annually. It had all the usual pictures of rangers on horseback, firetowers, and pics of the fire. All pictures are black and white.
    IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg

Train Hobo's Fighting the Firen

IMG_0333.jpg
    My uncle is the man helping carry the man upright out from the fire. The guy is no doubt overcome by smoke, heat and physical exhaustion. My uncle is looking at the man as he holds him up. My uncle had large hands for a man his size and you can see it in the pic. The county sheriff and state police came to the railroad yard and gave all these hobo's a choice; volunteer to fight the fire or go to jail. My uncle and these other hobos obviously volunteered.

Life magazine

IMG_0327.jpg
    June 28, 1937 10cents
    My uncle said he was sitting in a barbershop waiting for a haircut and picked up this magazine issue and saw his picture in the article. Unbelievable. My late uncle was part of the greatest generation; he wouldn't recognize the country now, I'm guessing.

That's a great story. It's nice to have a record of your relatives' experiences. Write down the whole story and keep it with the magazine so it is never accidentally tossed by someone who does not realize the significance of the article.

I found it interesting that the article reports fires covering 40 million acres annually. Media coverage made me guess that this year's fires would have been much worse. Checked for a reference and found that the National Interagency Fire Center provides daily reports here:https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

This year about 8.6 million acres have burned, and the ten-year average is at 6 million.

I wonder, how much of the difference is due to better fire fighting, and how much is the result of smaller forests?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

From what I understand, fighting forest fires is still pretty much hand to hand combat. They still use shovels, rakes, hoes, and other hand tools along with modern power tools. Bulldozers, chainsaws, etc. to build fire breaks. Airplanes and helicopters dropping water and flame retardent from the sky. It's just plain, dangerous, nasty, dirty business. Probably a whole lot more people living closer to the fire zones now than in the 1930's.

My uncle joined the Army Air Corps around '36. Sometime around '39/'40 he was on flight crews ferrying planes to Hawaii and the Philippines. Got his wings I think in '43 and trained pilots through the war years. Stayed in the Air Corps, when it transitioned to the U.S Air Force. Was the pilot on a SAC secret mission back in '52. Flew over the Artic Circle spying on the Russians. This was pre U2 era. Big slow RB-50 used for Reconnaissance. Had a successful mission. He wrote a short book about it, which is on the internet. I think it's called the Roy E. Kaden Story. Cold War secret mission. Declassified after 50 years. All the crew members got their medals presented at that time. Roy went to several of the presentations, given to crew members personally or their dependents. His short book can be read in about 30 minutes to an hour. Kinda neat reading about someone you know. Click on all the chapters and attachments. His obit under his name as a resident of Maumelle, Ar. is
    also an interesting read. His passing was in 2010. From dirt poor hobo to to flying top secret missions defending America. Only in America.

I know I covered this earlier in the thread, but it's still good stuff.