• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Got to thinking about Hueys and the history of Overton Square in Midtown. Adult beverages, good food, Memphis music, the night life of the Mid-South. Thomas Boggs, comes to mind. Who? He was one of the members of the band the Boxtops. You may rember they had a few hits in the 60's. 'The Letter' was probably their one big hit. It seems everytime you turn around in Memphis your running into somebody that has or had a connection to the music or enertainment industry.

Thomas was also one of the driving forces of the Memphis enertainment industry in the Overton Square/Midtown area. He was one of the managers of TGI Fridays and was the original owner of Hueys back in the day.

Was talking to my goto BMW mechanic the other day, talking about getting one of my airheads up and running. He dais get the carbs off one of them, bring 'em over, he'd rebuild them and we would get started. Ran across a set of identical carbs out in the garage, I had forgotten about. Their off a early '80's R100 police bike; perfect. Now just gotta get'em over there.:thumb

Settin here at Huey's Midtown, rockin out with Jack Rowe, Leo Goff and company. Listening to all that good Blues, Rock, Rockabilly, Funk, just good stuff. :dance:clap:groovy:twirl:beer

The legendary Leo Goff is doing a lot of music gigs as of late in the Memphis, Tn. area; usually on Beale St. or in the Overton Square area along Madison Av.. Leo plays and performs in a variety of small bands. All these bands are top self. If your in the Memphis area, do yourself a favor and check him out in one of these gigs. :thumb

Between music sets at Hueys, got to talking to Leo about getting one of my airheads running and do a little old school riding. He said pick one, get the carbs off, bring'em over, he'd rebuild 'em and we'd get started. Yesterday, got the oppurtunity. I picked out an early 80's plain R100. Easy pick; it's the closest bike to the overhead door. Nice bike, I've never ridden it before. It was an inheritance from an old buddy of mine. That bike has 40mm Bings. The bike has big valves and low compression. The bike is kinda neat. Twin disk in the front and rear drum. Some body in the past added the San Jose hoop fork brace. Nice all around bike. Hope to get it in riding condition by this coming spring

The local BMW club, the RAMS, are having their monthly meeting today. Time to elect new officers for the year. :hungover. Think I'll go over for lunch. Foxridge Pizza. 711 Brookhaven Circle, Memphis. Good Pizza! :drink 12:00 lunch 1:00 meeting

Jan. RAMS Meeting

Got the oppurtunity to attend. Good to see all my old Rams buds and buddettes. It's been a while since I had a Fox Ridge pizza; yep, still good. After chowing down, the members got down to business. Old business, new business, new officers, finance report, they got it done in short order. :thumb meeting over and time to hit the road. Good job guys, excellent. See all ya'll soon on the road or at a rally. :)

Got out yesterday; headed over to Hueys to listen to some of local music. It was all good. My old buddy Leo Dropped in for a quick visit. He was headed east to play at one of the clubs downtown. Peter Guldan and his wife Jan came in for dinner. Got to talking to Peter about my R90/6 needing a new paint job. Peter had painted the bike's frame back in the early 1990's. During the conversation, Peter said he'd be glad to do it again. I was floored. Yea!:dance

BMW R90/6 early 1990's

Back over at Vernon's garage, we got he bike back to a rolling chassis. Peter had done all the frame painting the seat was recovered. Vernon and I put the rolling chassis together. Loaded it up and hauled it to Leo's.
Leo had put the engine back together; we put a new clutch in and bolted up the rebuilt tranny. A buddy of Leo painted the tank, fenders, sidecovers. Can't remember who done the pin stripes. Leo will remember.
View attachment 66999
Slowly coming together. Glacial progress. Leo worked me in around his regular work schedule.
View attachment 67000
I was getting excited. Starting to look like a cool motorcycle. YeeHaw!

Econo resto back in the 90's. Peter Guldan had done all of the paint work on the bike as shown.

Peter painted all of his bikes and they were all immaculate. In the Classic Bike magazine article, they asked a question? Is Peter the world's fussiest motorcycle builder/restorer/painter? Yes.:thumb My bike will get a great paint job, I'm very blessed.

Good to be surrounded by over the top motorcycle bikers, riders, painters, builders, collecters, etc.. It really up's my game to build a better bike. :)

Back