• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Wow; Chick Magnet then Dude Magnet. Kinda went off the rails. Thx OM. Kinda felt like I was young again. Better get Red Seat out; go for a ride and cool off. :groovy

Biker/Motorcyclist Support

I want to give a shout-out of thanks to two establishments in the Mid-South. The Old Airport Club in West Memphis, Ark. and ShakeRag Bar and Grill in Millington, Tn.. Both welcome the motorized 2-wheel rider class. Generally, I’m a solo/lone rider, but I do like rolling into a welcoming establishment from time to time.
4A193633-5DFE-4699-A21B-82FB4222AF7A.jpeg
I had a big time.

Riding as a Biker

I like wearing my Stich. But, as of late I’m hanging with the bikers. When I wear the Stich, I get the usual brain dead comments, U an Astronaut or U planning on crashing? Gets a little old. But I like wearing some protection. I like jeans, so I wear Draggin Jeans. Kevlar is heavy.
B6E37416-B310-4E6C-8633-7B57C591F175.jpeg
In the butt.
1368B934-2388-4FC3-BDDB-D2DA0AC1F1E6.jpeg
In the knees.

Heavy

CFB88D66-3B12-4ABC-9A6B-C362CBF6AE9A.jpeg
The top belt is the belt I normally wear. It ain’t enough. Went to a wider belt, to hold up the heavy jeans

I have an old school Belstaff riding outfit. Good old school stuff, wax cotton. The pants were heavy. Found some heavy duty suspenders, Popular Mechanics. Really good stuff. Decided I needed the same for the Kevlar jeans. Got what I thought was the same suspenders, they were Roebucks. They ain’t as heavy duty. Get the Popular Mechanics or equivalent.

I have an old school Belstaff riding outfit. Good old school stuff, wax cotton. The pants were heavy. Found some heavy duty suspenders, Popular Mechanics. Really good stuff. Decided I needed the same for the Kevlar jeans. Got what I thought was the same suspenders, they were Roebucks. They ain’t as heavy duty. Get the Popular Mechanics or equivalent.

Aerostich had a big setup at the National in Springfield. Among their offerings were waxed cotton Roadcrafter suits for the old-school folks. Andy told me he liked the idea so they did it.

Belstaff > Stich

Quite a few years ago I met the late gentleman rider John Lyle. At the time he had just purchased a 2 piece Belstaff suit. John was kinda tall and slim, he was impressive looking in Belstaff. He rode all of North America, U.S., Alaska, Canada, Mexico. I ran into him a couple of years later. The suit was in tatters. Patched and duck taped back together. He had totally worn it out. John, U going to get another one. No, I think I’ll get me a Stich. I think that was what he was wearing until he passed. What a Guy/Gentleman. RIP John

I miss the Belstaff clothing…….even miss the smell of the peat infused flannel lining from the deeper mud holes on the single-track. :)

This is a great spot- https://britishmotorcyclegear.com/

OM

Never been to the mother country, to ride thru bog single track trails. I have rode thru the Ozarks and Ouchita’s mountain trails on my Beemer’s. Probably not even close to the bogs of the British Isles. My old riding buddy Greg got me started riding motorcycles; a BMW R50/5 on those trails, totally crazy, but looking back, it made me a better rider. And most important, I survived to tell the tale.:)

Actually now that I think about Greg started me riding trails along the ridges and bluffs north of Memphis; close to the Mississippi River. A lot like the Ozarks in Arkansas. Great memories, glad I can remember it. I was riding GS style, but I didn’t know it back then.

Starting to Ride in 1983

I started riding my ‘71 R50/5 in ‘83.
0E248980-D477-4EB4-9CF8-631A8E7DFAD1.jpeg
FDFE3359-F64C-463A-9BE2-2515F7821446.jpeg
This was pretty much my riding gear, with a cheap full face HJC helmet.

Adding Gear

As I was riding, Fall was on the horizon, it was getting cooler. I needed to layer up, blue jean jacket, larger blue jeans on the regular jeans I was wearing. Then thermal under ware, top and bottom. The Coat Factory had swede jackets. Got one, layered up blue jean jacket over that. I looked like a vagabond scare crow. The Sears Outlet Store had a leather shop. Bought chaps and vests. I was on a tear. YeeHaw.:dance

8BE3E2AB-DEAF-401F-A357-86E7268FA707.jpeg
641A27CA-58A8-475A-BE70-68C436D53E2E.jpeg
This biker jacket is kinda, behind the bib, it has a fairly large perforated area and on the back side it has some of the same around the shoulders.

Back