Page 250 of 250 FirstFirst ... 150 200 240 248 249 250
Results 3,736 to 3,748 of 3748

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

I am somewhat surprised that you did not have numerous detours while on the the BRP. The on-line status map shows several parts closed. Riding on a closed section will result in a big fine, of course so will speeds significantly over the normal 45 mph (and it is a federal violation, not a state one). Link to BRP status -

https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m...36.339/-79.184

Cool

I really don't promote lawbreaking, but. This was 30 years ago and I had a little rebellious streak in me. As the story continues to unfold the ride will take a change for the better. Back in this time frame I rode with 2 very distinct motorcycle groups. One was the bar hopping biker patch wearers and the other was the local BMW motorcycle clubs. But that's another story for a different time.

As far as detours, this trip really didn't have detours. I had plenty of detours in later rides on the Parkway.

We got to DC; got our motel rooms. Leo did some research and picked out a local restaurant; The Brickskeller. Leo had a knack for picking the best places for a feast. We decided that we would be enjoying adult beverages. We left the bikes at the livery stable and took a taxi. Good food and drink, then a good night's sleep.

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

The aim of the trip was to visit the Air and Space Museum. Pretty nice Museum, good display on Orville and Wilber Wright, Kitty Hawk, First in aFlight True American greatest. Charles Limbergh and the Spirit of St. Louis. Fascinating stuff from the early days of flight. I remember the development of the Boeing 747 back in the 60's. I was working at Memphis International in the mid 70's when I saw my first one. It was off to the side parked awaiting some maintenence work. My car was tagged where I had pretty access to all area's on the airport. Drove over and under the nose of the plane; stopped and got out and checked out my car under the plane, Wow.

Sorry, I ran off the track; I mean runway. Yes if you ever get the chance to visit the Air and Space Museum, please do so, great Museum; it's worth the time.

After visiting the museum we walked out to the Capital Mall. Pretty impressive sight, all those over sized buildings and monuments. Pretty neat. Looked pretty much like what I saw on the TV. Iwouldn't mind going back for a 2nd visit; maybe visit some more Capitol museums. Good stuff, I'm a history buff.

We had some time on our hand, what's next. Leo, let's go check out Capitol Cycle, it's close. 10-4 skinny buddy, let's go. I gave the address to Lentz and we were off. As usual to fast, oh well. We were moving along at a good pace when we passed a guy on his /2. We all acknowledged him as we passed. Some where along the line we got turned around and got lost. We stopped a couple times, conferenced about where the place was. After a few false starts and stops, we got there. There was a familiar looking /2 in the parking lot with the rider standing next to it.
    Hey Guys I see you made it; I was wondering if you were heading here. I hung my head in shame. He was a good guy, said he didn't live to far away. He said he needed parts for his old /2.

We went inside and met the crew. The only one I remember was Hal.Good guy, he knew BMW parts. I can't remember his last name. Impressive place. Got a tour in warehouse. Wow, Big and BIG. Parts and more parts. Good visit. Back to the motel and dinner. Lentz informed us he needed to blitz back home for a college football game. No problem, have a nice ride home.: waves

The next day Leo and I had our own little conference. Barry your the new tour master. Leo, let's head south to Fancy Gap, VA, and get back on the Parkway and ride south. I liked that part of the Parkway best. It had the highest points on the Pkwy. I really wanted to ride back up to Mt. Mitchell, the highest point in the eastern U.S..

We got go Fancy Gap and got a motel room. Leo my head light on the Windslammer is out.. I got my bulb and fuse kit out.. Leo was already pulling the assemble out., Yep burned out bulb. He pulled the bulb outa my kit and started installing the new one. In a couple of minutes, Barry, turn the head light switch on. Did as told and I had a head light, yea. Kind of nice to have one of the most skilled BMW techs as a riding partner.. I just remembered Leo had a flat tire on the way up. Leo used his BMW supplied plug kit to do a quick fix. We rode to a service station and Leo used the pump to really pop the bead in place. I decided that a K bike was definitely in my future. Having a flat on an airhead, changing out a tube, kinda cool at the shop, not so much on the side of the road.

We headed south on the Pkwy in a leisurely fashion, this time sight seeing g., not Grand Prix road racers. I had the Pkwy map with mile makers and I picked out what I thought were the best overlooks. Leo was all smiles. We took picks at all the highest point markers. Back up to Mount Mitchell, nice vista's. We got a motel room back in Ashville. At dinner that night, Leo said this day had been the best part as far as riding was concerned. I had to agree. I went to bed with a smile on my face and dreams of what my new R90 would look like after the rebuild.

I just had a conversation with with Leo about the trip and the ride home, he brought up the fact that we ran through an early spring blizzard. I can't even remember that. Riding west, I think all I had on my mind was rebuilding my R90 and and the acquisition of a K bike. I had another couple of years of nursing the R90 along until the rebuild. Patience became the key word.