Page 286 of 286 FirstFirst ... 186 236 276 284 285 286
Results 4,276 to 4,289 of 4289

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Leo /Freightliner Transport Truck

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Everybody, who saw us at the Vintage Races thought we had it too easy. Our pit wasn't the usual frenzy of activity like a lot of the car pits. sittin around visiting with all the racing greats, lifestyle of the rich and famous. Ran across these pics back at the shop in the mid ninties.
    Attachment 55879
    Attachment 55880
    Leo, the team manager.
    Leo did the grunge work, too.

Attachment 55883
    Attachment 55884
    Yous Truely, Working on high. The boss gotta kick outa coming by and seeing us scrubbing away. The Freightliner was was a pretty cool auto hauler. We raced coast to coast, and it was actually a pretty nice way to travel. It was one of the longest straight trucks I have seen on the hiway. Listening on the CB, A lot of the truckers commented on it when they saw it. But, it being a straight truck, could make it a handfull to manuever in some situations. I still run the hiways, and I occasionally see it on the road.
    Leo came out and helped me clean car hauler. All day job. Sometimes we had it cleaned at the big truck washes near the truck stops.

More to Come on Leo

I keep digging and finding more stuff. Itís endless and thatís good. Iís beautiful out side. Time to go and enjoy it. Outside on the patio.

Attachment 65685
    A pic of Leo Goff with a racing Norton. Probably 40 years ago, before I knew him.
    Leo working on a performance Norton many years .

Leo Motorcycle Drag Racing Champion

Thinking about Leo and Allen drag racing that Norton, pretty cool stuff back in the day.
    Attachment 67018
    Attachment 67019
    They were serious about drag racing and winning. I think they were International Drag Bike Association champions for a couple of years back in the mid eighties. Leo built the engine, Ron Wiginton fabricated the Kawasaki transmission to fit the engine and frame, Eddie Wilbanks fabricated the frame. I think Allen fabbed up the top shell and fairing. I see Cyclear on the back of the body shell. All these guys have been featured on this thread.
    Leo took an old Norton Commando and turned it into a drag racing champion.

Smile

Talking to Leo yesterday, he may have my carbs done/ rebuilt for my R100 tune up by the end of the week. Yea! Was hoping to have them done and been riding that bike this summer. Oh well; take'em when I can get'em. Well no rush now. I've been cleaning the inside of the tank. The outside of the tank has been damaged from hitting handlebar barbacks. Might just go ahead and and have it fixed and painted. Fairly nice bike; was aiming for just simple rider status.

CDL Class A

The team had the big Freightliner straight truck to haul our race cars. I went to truck driving school in West Memphis. I think the class was a week of class and a week of driving. I started the class a few days after everybody else; after 3 days of class, I took my written test, passed and after 4 days of driving; took my driving test and passed. Everybody in the class could'nt believe it. They wern't the brightest people I ever met. Still got my Class A CDL.

Leo beat me, he went and got the book, read it and passed his written test, pretty slick, then took his driving test, and passed that. No easy feat. I was impressed. B CDL. I have to give Leo credit, he handled the Freightliner great. That was one big straight truck. We were racing gypsies. We met a lot of famous auto racers, pretty exciting stuff.

Leo-Bike Show Judge Memphis

415AA758-32D1-475B-AEBD-AEC3D1E1E06F.jpeg
    F4C4FE19-C7DE-4471-9966-D91A8EBBB7FE.jpeg
    Leo judges the bikes at the bike show. Moi just standing there lost in space. Leoís knowledge of motorcycles is unbelievable.

Memories!!

415AA758-32D1-475B-AEBD-AEC3D1E1E06F.jpeg
    F4C4FE19-C7DE-4471-9966-D91A8EBBB7FE.jpeg
    Leo judges the bikes at the bike show. Moi just standing there lost in space. Leoís knowledge of motorcycles is unbelievable.
    Lots of great memories in those pictures!!! Glad you had the forethought to document all of this!!
    We certainly ran the gamut on a diverse group of activities and vehicles!!!
    Always loved the cars, but as you know, my passion has always been with the bikes!!

Allard K2

Attachment 58294
    Got to do the 50 year anniversary reenactment of the Watkins Glen Road Race back in 1998. On the real track in town and out in the county. By accident we were allowed to be on the tract with the real cars that actually did the races back in the late 40's and early 50's. This car is a modified '52 Allard K2 painted by the famous artist Von Dutch. Known for painting customized cars and motorcycles. Leo Goff at the wheel and me navigating. If I remember right, Leo had built and installed a pretty hot 5.0 liter HO engine. Happy Days, like Richie and Fonsie.
    Totally cool Allard U built. If I remember correctly, U put a 5 liter HO motor in it. Thatís U driving and me co-piloting in the reenactment of the original Watkins Glen Road race. It took place on the city and county streets and roads in around Watkins Glen. I think I have some memorabilia from that event; cap, and a special 50 year anniversary commemorative book. Bob Ferguson was featured in the book.

Attachment 55799
    The race team had this 'T-shirt' made up of the '53 Lincoln we raced and rallied. This is a replica of the original Lincolns they raced back in the early 50's. They were very successful in the 50's in that series and raced against the best from America and Europe.The races took place in Mexico on public highways. Leo Goff built this car for the team several times. The first time as a mild neat custom street driven car. The second time as a road race car at special racing events. It was about as practical as racing a 'B' John Deere tractor. Leo built the car for the third and last time back in the 90's for a reenactment of those 50's races. The car was driven to victory by the team owner Jimmy Dodds and co driver Rob Walton.
    I think it was a great acheivement for the team. Leo Goff being the chief builder, with assistance from Eddie Wilbanks on fabricating a complete true dual exhaust system and Randy McGehee building a custom heavy duty drive train and suspension for that race. The car ran the stock 317.5 cubic inch engine, custom built by Leo Goff just for that race. This was probably one of the supreme moments of success for the team, under Leo Goff's supervision and direction.
    Hereís a T-shirt of a Lincoln U built. I think U built this car 3 different times. First to cruise around in on the street. A second time to vintage road race. The 3rd and last time to compete in the reenactment of the original Mexican Road race. I believe The car won In itís class.

Attachment 55887
    Ol Yeller in the pits at arace. Boss decided he was thru with the car. Left it in Scottsdale, Az. to be sold.
    Attachment 55888
    Attachment 55889
    Sad Day. This was back in the 90's. I think the car has been rebuilt and rebodied a couple times since. Wish I had a quarter million dollors laying around to buy it. Oh well.
    One of my all time favorites Ol Yaller #7 The car has gone thru a couple of owners since Jimmy had it. Itís been rebodied. Do U remember Officer Aaron Snowden and driving a race car on the street.

Attachment 59309
    Back in the late 60's and early 70's, Leo Goff built a lot of choppers. He built this one with the help of the first owner the late Art Grisanti. I think it's powered by a Honda 750-4. Art's long gone, but back in 1941 after Pearl Harbor, the very next day Art enlisted into the US Navy. Served with honers as a submariner in the Pacific Ocean Theater. Was repeatedly bombed, strafed, and torpedoed by the Japanese army, navy and air force. Great guy and a personal friend. His regular ride was a BMW '77 R100RS, he bought new. Glad John has the chopper now.
    I think U helped your long time late buddy Art Grisanti build this chopper.