• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

As I learned to ride in groups, I found out who were the good riders and who were the not so good riders. Generally I started riding more by myself, and less with groups or even with another rider. I had a buddy years ago, who was a Harley rider, and a high mileage rider, if I remember maybe 50,000 a year. He traded his Harley in every year and usually it had about 50,000 on the od. I met him through Leo Goff. He was a salesman for a company that sold automotive and motorcycle hardware. I was impressed for a Harley rider that rode that much.

As I learned to ride to ride in groups, I found out who were the good riders and who were the not do so good riders. Generally I started riding more by myself, and less with groups or even with another rider. I had a buddy years ago, who was a Harley rider, and a high mileage rider, if I remember maybe 50,000 a year. He traded his Harley in every year and usually it had about 50,000 on the od. I met him through Leo Goff. He was a salesman for a company that sold automotive and motorcycle hardware. I was impressed for a Harley rider that rode that much.

Saw Ed quite a bit for a few years after that. Got the invite to do another ride. I always declined, I tried to give a gracious but dishonest excuse. Ed would always get in a little dig. I didn't care, I didn't have a death wish. I didn't have anything to prove, I ride for the pleasure of riding at my own safe pace.

Ed was a bar owner, he owned one north of Memphis for a while, then one about 50 miles east of Memphis. I knew Ed ran a lot at night to run his bar. He also drank liquor as he rode. The ride to his bar was through a heavy deer populated area. Kiss of death. I got the message one day , Ed was killed in a deer strike riding to his bar one night. End of story.

Hum, lost the ride with Ed. It was a one day ride to Little Rock, Ar. and back. Average speed 80+mph, maybe even faster . It was 30 years ago, my memory is a little lame. It was way to fast for me. I had a K100RT, I could have blown him off the road; but it was totally pointless. He was way past reality. Never rode with Ed again.

I've been watching the Voice. One of the young lady contestants said she was a daughter of one of the Funk Brothers, they were kind of the house band to a lot of the stars from the late 50's-60's. I was watching a show on TV Standing in the Shadows of Motown. A lot of it dealt with the Funk Brothers. I saw the word monk, I texted Funk then Brothers, then Motown. Couldn't help my self. The Motown Sound. :thumb:dance:)

Back in the early-mid 60's we lived in Hot Springs, Ar. in kind of a shack house on Malvern Highway. My brother and I shared a room in the back of the house. Inside the room was a rather large wooden piece of furniture. We opened it and their was an old am radio in side. Plugged it in and it worked. I couldn't believe it. You could could here the old cathode tubes warming up. It actually had a decent sound. At night the best stations came on and my brother and I listened to I think it was WLS out of Detroit. The Sound of Motown. That music was the greatest. I was listening to the Funk Brothers and didn't know it.

If I remember correctly, it was the only radio we ever had growing up. Most places we lived was to far out in the country to get TV reception. The family always shared the one small radio we had. Except for that one year on Malvern Highway.

Yeah, I guess I got outta hand on the word association thread. Watching that Motown special on the tube about the Funk Brothers and the word Monk came up. My mind went into overdrive. Funny.

Wls

WLS is still in Chicago 50,000 watt clear channel at night you could pickup station a long way away, like KMOX, WBAM.

Title did say WLS changed it once

Gotcha, thx. I should have looked it up. It was over 50 years ago. I was listening to Motown outa of Chicago. Those were the days. I gotta summer job working for my uncle back in1968 doing drywall work in Rantoul, Il.. I was 15 that summer. It's about 50 miles south of Chicago. He told me boy, you ain't got no business in Chicago. Unc, I just want to see a big city. Forget it.

I guess up until that time of my life Wichita, Ks, Memphis, TN, and St. Louis, Mo. were the largest cities I had ever been in. I don't remember why I thought I needed to see Chicago. Like my uncle said, You ain't got no business in Chicago.

It's Nothing Really

My 11,000th post is about nothing, just my 11,000th post. Kinda like the Seinfeld sitcom, a show about nothing. Actually the show was very entertaining. This thread is kinda about nothing and kinda about everything. Some might find it somewhat entertaining. Growing up I read a lot of newspapers and magazines. Big headlines on the cover or the featured article inside. Then there were the little articles in the back. I think this is like the little articles in the back. Hopefully, informative, enertaining or funny. Maybe every once in a while all three at the same time. Any way I enjoy it, and as long as I enjoy I guess, I'll continue. Thx, Y'all Barry

No BMW's Sighted

I've been on a little freight run. Memphis, Tn. to Ft. Worth, Tx. to Laredo, Tx, to Brownsville, Tx.. I have yet to see a BMW motorcycle anywhere on this trip. Usually I see at least a few. Just saying. :scratch:dunno.

BMW Motorcycle Sighted

I saw a R1200GS Adventure today in the wilds of downtown Houston, Tx; who'd a thunk it. :thumb:dance. At least I saw a BMW on this trip. They are very elusive.:) PS On the interstate of all places.:dunno Just teasing.

He's probably headed south to the Copper Canyon in Mexico, or the Darian Gap south of Panama. Machu Picchu in the Andes or all the south to Cape Horn. :scratch. Or just riding home after work. :dunno

I guess about 2,000 miles of travel. Memphis to Ft. Worth to Laredo to Baton Rouge to Counce, TN. To Memphis. One confirmed BMW motorcycle sighted. :scratch:dunno

BMW Rams are having their monthly camp out down the road from me in Wynne, Ar. at Village Creek State Park. I've got to make a scrap run to Parkin, Ar., about 20 miles further on down the road is the park. I think I'll go after the scrap run and see what the Rams are up to.

Got up Saturday mourning and headed west on US 64 to Voyles Scrapyard in Parkin, Ar.. dropped off 300 lbs. of good American scrap. I got a hefty $14.15, I was now rollin in dough. Got back in the van and headed to the Rams April meeting at Village Creek on beautiful Crowley's Ridge. Drove thru steady rain; hum, not good for a weekend camp out.

It was raining when I arrived at the campground. Looked like about 30 wet attendees in attendance. For the most part I knew all of them. Bikes were few and far between. They had fixed pancakes for breakfast. They had a few left over in a bowl. I finally reached over and tried one. Not bad, I had another. I guess all that scrap work had given me an appetite. I finished off the last one in the bowl. :thumb

Back