• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Ain't that somethun. Start the day with a tank of bad gas and petcock. Less than 24 hours later; a clean tank, a set of peacocks and carbs in process to be rebuilt. I ain't got to many friends, but the ones I got are the best. Thx, Marshall, Thx, Leo.:dance:wave

Too Many Irons in the Fire

Got a deal going to pick the gas tank at Leo's and deliver it to Marshall. Get the R100 to Marshall to be put back together. Pull the dual disk front end off a R80 to use on another project. Get that R80 back together as a single disc model for a girl who's interested in buying it. Get my barber, Barry over to Leo to look at my Panhead chopper, he's interested in buying. Get Leo motivated to rebuild my carbs for the R100 project I got going. Dealing with some issues at my church. Just the usual day in my boring life.:dunno I think it's time to head over to the local bar for a cold one. Jeez. Multitasking, I think it's called.:wave

Sunday I took Barry over to Leo's to see the chopper. Driving over I told Barry that he was in for a treat getting to see Leo's collection of motorcycles. I could tell that he really didn't grasp what I was telling him. He would grasp it soon enough. I always had plans to make it a rideable bike; ain't going to happen. We got there, met Leo and headed over to the bike barn; then walked in.

Leo opened the door to the den and turned on the lights. Barry and I walked in and Barry's eye's got really big. Leo went to change clothes, I set down and Barry started touring the den. He would point to a bike and say I only seen that bike in books or magazines. What bike is that, never seen that one before. I did my best to tell him what I knew about each bike. Leo was back and Barry was stammering something about all the bikes. Yep, it's a bit much.

Barry let's get you back in the barn and you can see the chopper. Leo opened the door and flipped on the lights. Barry's mouth hit the floor. Rows of motorcycles. Leo said can you see the chopper in the back. Yep, but how do I get there. I showed him how to be careful and climb over all other motorcycles. Barry was limber enough at 70 to get over all those bikes and get back there. I made it about half way. Barry got his camera out and took some pics.

Barry and I crawled out way out of there to get back to the den. Man, that was somethin. Yeah, it's over the top. Barry told Leo, That is some collection. Leo shook his head up and down with a smile on his face. Driving back to Ar., Barry never stopped talking about Leo's collection. Yes, Barry it took a lifetime to get all that stuff, good for Leo. Barry called me back the next day, consider your chopper 'Sold.' Good I'm glad it's going to a good home. Easy Rider will ride again. :dance

Got the Chopper shown and sold. Picked up the R100 tank, newly cleaned. Making some progress on all those irons in the fire. Time for a nap.:thumb

I guess I should say the chopper sale is pending. Gotta move quite a few bikes out. Move the chopper down and out, which ain't going to be easy, then put all the bikes back in place. I'm sure all of that will go off like clockwork, easy as pie. :dunno ps Use to do this for a living, 30 years ago. :)

Leo Goff Racing Norton

barry [ATTACH said:
65685[/ATTACH]
A pic of Leo Goff with a racing Norton. Probably 40 years ago, before I knew him.

Leo at his old shop st his home on Tutwiler.

Leo looks pretty tough back in the day, and he was. But he really had a heart of gold. Barry and I spent about 2 hours at Leo's shop. Quite a few of Leo's friends and neighbors drifted thru. Later, Barry asked if it was always like that. Like what? You know, is everybody always like that, so friendly and happy. Yeah, pretty much. Leo and his wife Jill exude friendliness. Barry was mesmerized.

It's kinda neat talking to the guys that knew Leo back in the 60's in high school. Leo already had a collection of adult motorcycles and was riding them to school. 750 Norton's, 650 Triumph's and BSA's, etc. His buddies said they were riding mopeds and scooters. :thumb

I've talked to guys in their late 70's and 80's, that are still riding. Yep, Leo has been keeping my bikes tuned up and running since he was back in high school. Wow, pretty cool. Leo was the real Fonz.

Back