• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Talking to Leo yesterday, he may have my carbs done/ rebuilt for my R100 tune up by the end of the week. Yea! Was hoping to have them done and been riding that bike this summer. Oh well; take'em when I can get'em. Well no rush now. I've been cleaning the inside of the tank. The outside of the tank has been damaged from hitting handlebar barbacks. Might just go ahead and and have it fixed and painted. Fairly nice bike; was aiming for just simple rider status.

CDL Class A

The team had the big Freightliner straight truck to haul our race cars. I went to truck driving school in West Memphis. I think the class was a week of class and a week of driving. I started the class a few days after everybody else; after 3 days of class, I took my written test, passed and after 4 days of driving; took my driving test and passed. Everybody in the class could'nt believe it. They wern't the brightest people I ever met. Still got my Class A CDL.

Leo beat me, he went and got the book, read it and passed his written test, pretty slick, then took his driving test, and passed that. No easy feat. :bow I was impressed. B CDL. I have to give Leo credit, he handled the Freightliner great. That was one big straight truck. We were racing gypsies. We met a lot of famous auto racers, pretty exciting stuff.

Leo-Bike Show Judge Memphis

415AA758-32D1-475B-AEBD-AEC3D1E1E06F.jpeg
F4C4FE19-C7DE-4471-9966-D91A8EBBB7FE.jpeg
Leo judges the bikes at the bike show. Moi just standing there lost in space. Leo’s knowledge of motorcycles is unbelievable.:thumb

Memories!!

View attachment 80581
View attachment 80582
Leo judges the bikes at the bike show. Moi just standing there lost in space. Leo’s knowledge of motorcycles is unbelievable.:thumb

Lots of great memories in those pictures!!! Glad you had the forethought to document all of this!!
We certainly ran the gamut on a diverse group of activities and vehicles!!!
Always loved the cars, but as you know, my passion has always been with the bikes!!

Allard K2

View attachment 58294
Got to do the 50 year anniversary reenactment of the Watkins Glen Road Race back in 1998. On the real track in town and out in the county. By accident we were allowed to be on the tract with the real cars that actually did the races back in the late 40's and early 50's. This car is a modified '52 Allard K2 painted by the famous artist Von Dutch. Known for painting customized cars and motorcycles. Leo Goff at the wheel and me navigating. If I remember right, Leo had built and installed a pretty hot 5.0 liter HO engine. Happy Days, like Richie and Fonsie. :thumb

Totally cool Allard U built. If I remember correctly, U put a 5 liter HO motor in it. That’s U driving and me co-piloting in the reenactment of the original Watkins Glen Road race. It took place on the city and county streets and roads in around Watkins Glen. I think I have some memorabilia from that event; cap, and a special 50 year anniversary commemorative book. Bob Ferguson was featured in the book.

View attachment 55799
The race team had this 'T-shirt' made up of the '53 Lincoln we raced and rallied. This is a replica of the original Lincolns they raced back in the early 50's. They were very successful in the 50's in that series and raced against the best from America and Europe.The races took place in Mexico on public highways. Leo Goff built this car for the team several times. The first time as a mild neat custom street driven car. The second time as a road race car at special racing events. It was about as practical as racing a 'B' John Deere tractor. Leo built the car for the third and last time back in the 90's for a reenactment of those 50's races. The car was driven to victory by the team owner Jimmy Dodds and co driver Rob Walton.
I think it was a great acheivement for the team. Leo Goff being the chief builder, with assistance from Eddie Wilbanks on fabricating a complete true dual exhaust system and Randy McGehee building a custom heavy duty drive train and suspension for that race. The car ran the stock 317.5 cubic inch engine, custom built by Leo Goff just for that race. This was probably one of the supreme moments of success for the team, under Leo Goff's supervision and direction.

Here’s a T-shirt of a Lincoln U built. I think U built this car 3 different times. First to cruise around in on the street. A second time to vintage road race. The 3rd and last time to compete in the reenactment of the original Mexican Road race. I believe The car won In it’s class.

View attachment 55887
Ol Yeller in the pits at arace. Boss decided he was thru with the car. Left it in Scottsdale, Az. to be sold.
View attachment 55888
View attachment 55889
Sad Day. This was back in the 90's. I think the car has been rebuilt and rebodied a couple times since. Wish I had a quarter million dollors laying around to buy it. Oh well.

One of my all time favorites Ol Yaller #7 The car has gone thru a couple of owners since Jimmy had it. It’s been rebodied. Do U remember Officer Aaron Snowden and driving a race car on the street. :thumb

View attachment 59309
Back in the late 60's and early 70's, Leo Goff built a lot of choppers. He built this one with the help of the first owner the late Art Grisanti. I think it's powered by a Honda 750-4. Art's long gone, but back in 1941 after Pearl Harbor, the very next day Art enlisted into the US Navy. Served with honers as a submariner in the Pacific Ocean Theater. Was repeatedly bombed, strafed, and torpedoed by the Japanese army, navy and air force. Great guy and a personal friend. His regular ride was a BMW '77 R100RS, he bought new. Glad John has the chopper now.

I think U helped your long time late buddy Art Grisanti build this chopper.

When Leo Speaks; Best to Listen

Back in the day; quite a few guys, those with some bucks would buy Allards and race them in the Grand Prix circuit. They could get on the track with the best from Europe. In the hands of a very capable driver they were almost competitive. Fairly powerful American V8 power combined with primitive frame, brakes and tires, etc. Really a accident waiting to happen or a rolling deathtrap. Today, they still race them on the vintage circuit. Current rules still require the same primitive frame, brakes, and tires etc. Today, most drivers have modified those period engines to produce at least twice the HP they had back 50-60 years ago. Usually more than twice as powerful. Death traps fore sure. Our team raced and rallied 4 or 5 different Allards and we did it as safely as was possible. Back in the 90's racing at Moroso track in West Palm Beach, Fl. we watched a guy racing an Allard in practice, mostly he was out of control and dangerous. We warned him. He said not to worry, he could handle it.

Leo cautions a vintage car racer.

View attachment 58360
View attachment 58361
We warned our driver to stay clear of him. That afternoon's practice session he hit the retainer wall at about 100 mph, killed on impact. They helicoptered him out. We warned him. I don't think anyone else warned or cautioned him. I'm glad we ran a safe racing operation. But Allards make a cool car to take to vintage car night. Thx for the memories Leo, lots of good safe memories of cars and bikes.

Leo warned this guy after the first/mourning practice to slow down to maintain control of the car. He didn’t take it serious and it cost him his life in a crash in the afternoon practice session. I learned, when Leo talks, best to listen.

Leo Builds Some Really Obscure Cars and Bikes

I know, Y'all know I like cool cars. Every time I see one on the road, I post pics. Any way, I ran across some old pics from the time Leo Goff and I were connected to a vintage car racing and rally team back in the 1990's. I've mentioned that Leo had built a lot of different types of cars, motorcycles, boats, just about anything with an engine, foreign or domestic. I mean some really off the wall stuff. Stuff I had never heard of. Thought Ya'll might like to see a little of the process. Wish I had taken a few more pics, never thought I would be posting on the internet. Did'nt know anything about it back then.

I mean obscure, rare one off stuff.

Kurtis Sport Car

I was over at the shop one day and got a call from the boss, Barry there's a new car showing up at the shop this week. He gave me the car hauling company, tele. number. Be at the shop for delivery. No problem. By the way what is it? Nothing surprised me any more. It's a 1950 Kurtis Sport Car. OK, cool, Gotcha covered. Hung up, what's a Kurtis?:scratch :dunno
The car haulers showed up right on time a few days later unloaded the car. What in the world is this? Got it situated, then Leo calls. How's it look Barry? Well, Leo; it looks like a Kurtis Sport Car. I really did'nt know what to think about. I'll be over in couple days to look at it. 10-4 Good Buddy. :thumb. Leo, showed up a few days later with some tools and checked her out. Oh, Barry it's totally cool. We popped the hood, it had a 331ci Caddy V8. In about 30 minutes Leo had the carb off. I'm going to rebuild the carb, when I come back I'll reinstall it., drain the old rotten gas, fill it with fresh gas, add a battery and check the brakes. Let's go get some lunch. :thumb Ah, lunch with Leo; always an adventure in fine cuisine.

Really, I didn’t know anything about a Kurtis Car. Nobody I knew ever heard of this car. Kurtis? Cool; I’ll take your word on that.:scratch

This was back before I had a computer, laptop, tablet, smart phone. Jimmy had an extensive collection of car and motorcycle books. Checked the car books out. Found a few small pics of odd looking cars. Nothing like what we had. :brow

Leo-Kurtis Sportcar

I know, Y'all know I like cool cars. Every time I see one on the road, I post pics. Any way, I ran across some old pics from the time Leo Goff and I were connected to a vintage car racing and rally team back in the 1990's. I've mentioned that Leo had built a lot of different types of cars, motorcycles, boats, just about anything with an engine, foreign or domestic. I mean some really off the wall stuff. Stuff I had never heard of. Thought Ya'll might like to see a little of the process. Wish I had taken a few more pics, never thought I would be posting on the internet. Did'nt know anything about it back then.

Leo’s has built a lot of different vehicles with complete success.

Kurtis Continued

I was over at the shop one day and got a call from the boss, Barry there's a new car showing up at the shop this week. He gave me the car hauling company, tele. number. Be at the shop for delivery. No problem. By the way what is it? Nothing surprised me any more. It's a 1950 Kurtis Sport Car. OK, cool, Gotcha covered. Hung up, what's a Kurtis?:scratch :dunno
The car haulers showed up right on time a few days later unloaded the car. What in the world is this? Got it situated, then Leo calls. How's it look Barry? Well, Leo; it looks like a Kurtis Sport Car. I really did'nt know what to think about. I'll be over in couple days to look at it. 10-4 Good Buddy. :thumb. Leo, showed up a few days later with some tools and checked her out. Oh, Barry it's totally cool. We popped the hood, it had a 331ci Caddy V8. In about 30 minutes Leo had the carb off. I'm going to rebuild the carb, when I come back I'll reinstall it., drain the old rotten gas, fill it with fresh gas, add a battery and check the brakes. Let's go get some lunch. :thumb Ah, lunch with Leo; always an adventure in fine cuisine.

Watched and helped Leo service the car.

Back