• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

One of the interesting things about attending the BMW national is getting the chance to see some slightly obscure BMW motorcycle models. I got the chance this last weekend. I meandering around the fairgrounds and spied one of those models, the '91 R100 'Classic' monolever. The majority of R100 monolevers were RS's and RT's. The R100GS's and R100R's were paralever models. Very little info given by BMW on this model
One or two pics and a one sheet info page of this model. I've talked to a couple of owners of this bike and they tell me the owner's manual is the RT manual. They tell me that when they try to bring up the microfische for parts, they are told model does not exist. Funny and interesting. The gentleman that owned this was much pleased that I correctly ID'ed his bike.

I told him, that I remembered this model bike being on the showroom at the Memphis BMW dealer at that time. At that time it did'nt interest me much. I was looking at the R100RS's and RT's; and all the K bike models. Anyway it was neat to see a nice clean version of this model at the national.:thumb

I forgot to mention one kind of unique feature of this bike, it has a chrome head light bucket. Other than that, it's just pretty straight forward nice rather plain R100. :)

View attachment 51680
When BMW brought back the R100's in '88, Almost all twin rear shock models were RS's and RT's. In '90 they brought in a small number of standard R100's. This is one of them. Kinda rare, pretty neat. I remember them on the showroom floor. 25 years has just flown by.

Here's a '91 R100 Classic I saw at BMW of Omaha a few years back.

This bike has some of the installed accessories available for this bike. A couple of BMW accessories that I think really work for this bike is the airhead windshield set and the BMW spotlamp kit. A lot of the time the parts manuals read no longer available now nla. At the present time, both are available. I don't think their available as complete kits. They must be ordered as individual pieces. Kind of a pain, but they are available. Get'em while you can.

1991 R100 Classic

View attachment 51680
When BMW brought back the R100's in '88, Almost all twin rear shock models were RS's and RT's. In '90 they brought in a small number of standard R100's. This is one of them. Kinda rare, pretty neat. I remember them on the showroom floor. 25 years has just flown by.

I am now the lucky owner of one these rare bikes. Looks just like this one.
jb52

Jb feel free to post anytime and by all means check this thread out. There are 100's of rare and unique BMW's on this site. Also rare and unique other brands of bikes, cars, scooters and a ton of other stuff you may find interesting. Read and enjoy.

Jb got me to thinking about rare airheads from the 90's. Couldn't think of to many. None really. A few had paint jobs that were a little obscure, but nothing really came to mind till I remembered the Legends race series. The first couple of years the famous motorcycle racers, raced R100R's. Each year had special paint and graphics and the racers signature on the bikes. After the race series was over for the year, the bikes were sold off. Those bikes qualify as rare collectable 90's airheads.:thumb

I'm really proud that I got my picture taken with the famous 1950's Grand Prix racing Legend Walter Zeller. Wearing the Legends T-shirt really sets the picture up.

I see where Recycle Motorcycles recently sold this bike that Walter rode. Go to their web site and see it up close and personal. Glad I got to be in little bit of racing history.

After a couple of years the race series transitioned to R1100RS. Look at the top of this BMW Forum page. The purple R1100RS is one of the legends racers. I think it's a '95 model. There is a nice book dedicated to this race series. In depth look into the race series, the race tracks, racers, the bikes, etc.

Legends Race Pics

View attachment 53438
View attachment 53439
View attachment 53440
Glad I got the oppurtunity to attend the race. Walter Zeller and the other greats. Neat series, it ran from '92-'96 at various race tracks. Nice promotion for BMW. If I remember correctly the crowd was a little underwelmed by the performance of the bikes. The next year they went to the new R1100RS. I believe that this was the only race that Zeller participated in.

Back in the 1990's at Daytona Raceway

The Book

View attachment 53441
Book by Don Emde. Found it on the sale at one of the BMW dealers on sale. Added it to my library of motorcycle books. I'm a sucker for a book on something that interests me.

I got a copy. I thought it was kinda pricey. Was in a BMW dealership looking around for a bargain. Saw the discount table in the back. Found the book on the table with a substantial discount, snapped it up with a smile on my face.:)

Jb, see what happens when U ride a rare obscure old motorcycle to the National. Triggers a never ending stream of old bikes, old racers, old race tracks and old riders.:thumb

Philip Johnson- BMW R100 Legends Bike

View attachment 67064
Rode down to Daytona back in the mid 90's. Rode back with Philip Johnson on his Cool R100R Legend's bike. Nice guy, cool bike, excellent ride. Last I heard he and his wife had a Campground on the Blue Ridge, I guess their still there.:dunno

I rode back west from Daytona, Philip on his Legends Race Bike; me on my R90.

The 1990 's Motorcycling Bliss

This seemed like my time of motorcycling bliss. I went to all of the Daytona Bike Weeks. 4 or 5 of the Daytona 200's
I got to ride to 4 or 5 MOA National's, several RA Nationals. Rebuilt my R90 into a cool ride. Learned to do engine head work. I was riding almost every day. Commuting back and forth to work almost every day. Was active in 2 local BMW clubs and a couple of local vintage/classic clubs. Rode with several local patch clubs; any excuse to ride was my plan for the day, week, month. I had tags on my R50, R90, K100RT, R1100RS. I could'nt get enough; it was almost like a drug addition, only good. Great memories of the 1990's.:thumb

Back