• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Good Feature

B676E7C4-0C4C-4052-AEB0-563CB98C4F8F.jpeg
A couple of the gloves had a good feature, being able to latch the gloves together when not being worn.:thumb

Outer Rain Mitts

7AC56349-F241-447E-A557-F13A51F4204B.jpeg
I try to keep my gloves dry in the rain, impossible. Somewhere I got or did have rain boot covers. I suggest U get 2 size’s bigger than than what fits perfect at the store. When U put’em on on the side of the road in a rain storm, U want’em going on quick. I don’t care if their goofy looking being to big. I want’em going on and I’m back on the bike riding. Loose fitting rain boot’s are another option. U already look goofy riding in hard steady rain. Get the gear on and get to riding.

Pecans

Between getting my gear together; been collecting pecans.
1365278A-CECB-408B-9F21-8095E2366B62.jpeg
Two types, both good eating; shelled and eaten raw. Time for cooking up a pecan pie. :eat:thumb

Pecans- small

1FE01407-9E02-41D4-911B-162EEE121EF5.jpeg
The weather was nice, went back and got another can of the small pecans. Their the size of marbles, but they taste great. :brow

Bout to wrap up harvesting the pecans, yesterday was the big day. Under the trees, it was raining pecans. Got hit quite a few times on the head, back and neck. Just, don’t look up.:laugh A few even landed in my bucket. :thumb:thumb

Back to Gear

Gettin’ gear together, looking for glove liners. As usual, found one; where’s the other. Looked everywhere; which is the same as no where. Checked all the pockets on all my gear. Just one glove. Why me? :scratch:dunno. Started checking saddle bags. No, no, not in any of them. Really gave up. Then I noticed a bag hidden under more junk. What’s the chance, that glove is in there. The bag had a key in tumbler. Open it and the bag was full gear and out fell the glove liner. Unbelievable.:groovy:dance
CFCDEA2F-EF49-49AF-8414-3E57141D8F3A.jpeg
OK; thank goodness, some success. :)

Cold Weather Gear

I think so. Old school layering. I’m planning on riding the bike all thru the winter. All things considered Arkansas is generally considered rather mild in winter. But there are periods of really cold snaps, with the short daylight hours and long winter nights, it’s cold at night. So no I’m not planning on riding every day, but I do plan on riding as much as possible; when the weather allows. I’m working on some more clothing gear and bike gear to help keep me warm.

Old School-New School

Going to BMW motorcycle events and rallies in the middle to late 80’s, I was riding year round learning on the rides, runs and rallies. Learned about layering with old type of gear. Riding in heat, cold, wet, dry. A lot of guys rode /2’s to early Airheads and K-bikes. I was bewildered. Looking back, I remember guys wearing old army gear, engineer boots, cowboy boots, working coveralls. Some of the guys rode the latest bikes and had the latest greatest gear. Wow, a little overwhelming. There’s an old saying; U got to war with what U got.

Heated Electric Gear on the Way

Started seeing Guys and Gals in electric gear. They usually had updated lighting, etc. My stock /5 and and /6 had marginal electric output. They explained, U had to manage Ur electrical upgrades. Thought I would stick with the old gear and just layer up. Then, I got a K100. New opportunities to spend my money.:laugh

Gerbing Heated Clothing

At a rally, one of the the venders was selling Gerbing Gear. Shelled out the loot for a heated liner.
700EF952-A775-47E9-A000-BA5B4FA4959F.jpeg
I joined the modern world of state of the art motorcycling. Put it on, plug it in, feel the heat. Cool, I was warm. That ‘s a play on words. I like adding a little humor to serious subjects.:)

Heat Controller and Gloves Added

A couple of years later; I attended another rally, maybe a National. Can’t really D982A1DE-4523-4055-9E2E-30EAF4BEC19A.jpegremember. The Gerbing guy was there vending and had some new products. Gloves and controllers. The good thing is he was set up to retro fit it to my liner. Left the liner at his booth, came back the next day and it was done.
BEF5BE81-D85A-40DC-AF6C-9EA89775AB13.jpeg
53C3412E-96A7-4D0F-B454-301503644CE6.jpeg

A New Liner

A few years later purchased a updated Gerbing liner. Set up for rider and passenger; with updated features.
83DD333F-C0D7-4A1E-8946-F5A7135DB83E.jpeg
D688EDE1-894A-4AB8-9A98-42EB8D8710E6.jpeg
5BCF81E2-A8EF-44E5-9DEB-1D79001E10B1.jpeg
A new heat controller.

First Cold Weather Gear

I started riding motorcycles in 1984. I graduated from a ‘78 Schwinn Bicycle to a ‘71 BMW R50/5 motorcycle. When I started riding, I didn’t think of myself as a motorcyclist or a biker. I was just riding locally for fun. In a short time, I was riding on longer rides and the weather was getting colder. I needed more gear. I found this at Burlington Coat Factory.
842AB8D4-2E49-4B76-9776-65B9B0363BCF.jpeg

That worked for a couple of months. Used thermal underwear and added a blue jean jacket to wear over the swede jacket.
EC70F49C-BDEF-4ABD-BAD4-AFA73C7DED4A.jpeg
Layering out, not just under. Got thru that winter, I loved riding and I loved riding further. I needed better gear. Gear that both motorcyclist and bikers wear. It was time to up my game.

Back