• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A BMW F800RT Why not

l guess thats part of the reason l've always preferred air cooled twins. That, and l scare myself too easily with the immediate speed-of-light acceleration. l love the "lazy" nature of the oil head compared to the K bikes.

l wish you the best in the quest for the perfect steed. My cousin who l recommended the NT700V to settled on a pristine 1981 or 83 R100RT. very nice bike that just fit right and was the perfect tool for the job at hand.

Peace

The way to get a K-bike to accelerate like an RT is to "twist the grip slowly"... if you can resist. But, as those who own K-bikes know... resistance is futile!

Captain Twisty

"The way to get a K-bike to accelerate like an RT is to "twist the grip slowly"... if you can resist. But, as those who own K-bikes know... resistance is futile!"

"The way to get a K-bike to accelerate like an RT is to "twist the grip slowly"... if you can resist. But, as those who own K-bikes know... resistance is futile!"

WTF? l have a new Apple Mac Book. l guess Apple has it's own WTF moments just like Microsuck.

ANYWAY, my response to your Twisting It Slowly is sure. Just like sex. Just a little bit. Just like .... recreational substances. Just like Jim Beam. Just like ornpay.

.... Just like riding your BMW.

Let' all just do it a little bit! But l hear ya.

Resistance IS futile, and a man has to know his limits.

Well, if we're talking about bikes BMW should make........
How about a replacement for my R1100RS? Slightly sporty ergos, but nowhere near a full sportbike crounch. And just enough fairing to take the wind off my chest, but without making me feel like I'm riding behind a barn door. It wouldn't be all that hard.....

2009-BMW-R1200R_S.jpg

I rode an R1200ST when it first came out - the riding position was way too cramped for me. I love the feel of the R1200R, just want to get that little bit of fairing on it.

Honda produced the NV700 Deauville touring bike for Europe for many years, and although it is a bit of a pooch performance wise it has gotten good reviews now that its here in the US. The F800 has a lot more engine than the Honda.

Moderate weight and decent power, a decent smaller fairing, hard bags and good storage capabilities. Hmm,..sounds like an old RT, so maybe Honda was onto something. I recently heard from a BMW dealer, that the BMW regional rep did say that BMW is working on a F800RT.

Now, compared to the Honda Deauville, the F800RT could be a real blast. A decent lighter smaller fairing, RT style bags, light weight, with the great power of the F800, maybe "geared" a bit lower for more relaxed highway revs, sounds like a great bike to me. I have ridden a bunch of F800's and they are great bikes!

Having tried out a F800ST, the biggest touring upgrade would be larger saddle bags. More wind protection might be desirable under some conditions, but the existing fairing and windscreen seemed seemed acceptable.

My version of an F800RT:

IMG_0917.jpg

K75RT handlebars, Parabellum shield, lowered muffler, lowered Givis. It's ugly, but fairly effective. On that 10K mile trip, it averaged 56.1 mpg. It's been all over the country.

We're all getting older and a lot of us see value in having less weight to horse around. It would be nice to see BMW do an F800RT.

Ugly? I don't think so. Unique? Sure! I like the Givi bags much more than the BMW "expando" bags. The lowered muffler make better sense too. I don't know why BMW insists on mounting high upswept mufflers on its bikes that they KNOW will be used for sport-touring.

That was one of the things I liked about my 94 RS. But the ST comes along with the high pipe and useless left side bag!! What is the sense in that? The K1300GT is a sport-tourer but it has a low muffler to suit a full size bag. Why doesn't BMW simply go with lowered mufflers on all the sport-tour models?

I don't think it is ugly at all. I'm impressed with your lower muffler.

Could you provide a little more detail of how you did that.

It allows you to mount the Givi bags much lower. Lower Center of Gravity, no cut outs in the bags for get around the muffler. Great idea.

I agree with you...don't need all that weight to have a good touring bike

My version of an F800RT:

IMG_0917.jpg

K75RT handlebars, Parabellum shield, lowered muffler, lowered Givis. It's ugly, but fairly effective. On that 10K mile trip, it averaged 56.1 mpg. It's been all over the country.

We're all getting older and a lot of us see value in having less weight to horse around. It would be nice to see BMW do an F800RT.

Don't look ugly to me.
Looks quite interesting

Only the monster windshield is ugly

But the functionality seems to be pretty much in line with what the OP was looking for. :thumb

My version of an F800RT:

IMG_0917.jpg

... lower muffler.

Could you provide a little more detail of how you did that.

:laugh It was a highly complex feat of engineering. :laugh I made up a metal hanger strap with two holes 3" center to center. Attached it to the muffler mount and bolted the muffler to the other end. What makes it possible is the ball and socket type connection between the muffler and the header pipe. Simply loosen the clamp and it rotates to where you want it.

Great bike

Very nice job. If BMW were to build the bike you built, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Unless they priced it like a new 1200GS. If you ever decide to part with it, I don't think you would have any problems finding it a new home.

boboz you are reading my mind

F650GS as a touring bike. To your list of features I'd add....

Keep the chain drive. I want to gear it so it turns nice and slow at highway speeds, and improve gas mileage. I would suspect the 650 would have plenty of torque.

Maybe add the F800 GS front plastic for better wind deflection.

Definately use something like the Madstad sheild I just put on my F800GS.

Install another saddlebag mount from Moto-Sport so I could use the smallish soft Moto-sport, or medium Pelican plastic, or large Happy trail hard bags, from the GS. The small bags are ok for a weekend, the pelicans are my preferred on the GS and are very dry, the Happy trails are huge and really only good for commuting.

my 800GS is working great for fun weekends, but it's a poor commuter. And yes some of the parallel twin motors vibrate at high rpm's, making the GS a little less comfortable at high speeds all day. I hope the 650 would act a little more like an RT (though an rt with some power).

I think the parallel twin is a very nice, simple, easy to work on (though it's sad how some people have had to do lots of work) motor. It should have a typical 15 ish year life span. If BMW sets up an RT model, I think we'll be disapointed. Somehow all I can see it being is a ST with a big sheild and maybe a little more fairing. They don't build slow underpowered stuffy old fat guy bikes anymore. And, until they stop making the bigger RT/LT/GT like models, a smaller bike will never get all the bells and whistles (cruise control, radios, active suspension........). Face it, that's why the 800GS has the cheaper tube type wheels, and the small gas tank. "Well yes sir", the dealer will say, "if you need those luxury features I have this top-of-the-line, 1200GS".

Now if, gas gets more expensive, (though in Paris today, where gas is already expensive, there are plenty of guys commuting on full-size bmws) and if rules are written that prefer smaller engines, I could see the 800 motor being shoved in a modern version of the C1 scooter.

bobo

F650GS as a touring bike. To your list of features I'd add....

Keep the chain drive. I want to gear it so it turns nice and slow at highway speeds, and improve gas mileage. I would suspect the 650 would have plenty of torque.

Maybe add the F800 GS front plastic for better wind deflection.

Definately use something like the Madstad sheild I just put on my F800GS.

Install another saddlebag mount from Moto-Sport so I could use the smallish soft Moto-sport, or medium Pelican plastic, or large Happy trail hard bags, from the GS. The small bags are ok for a weekend, the pelicans are my preferred on the GS and are very dry, the Happy trails are huge and really only good for commuting.

my 800GS is working great for fun weekends, but it's a poor commuter. And yes some of the parallel twin motors vibrate at high rpm's, making the GS a little less comfortable at high speeds all day. I hope the 650 would act a little more like an RT (though an rt with some power).

I think the parallel twin is a very nice, simple, easy to work on (though it's sad how some people have had to do lots of work) motor. It should have a typical 15 ish year life span. If BMW sets up an RT model, I think we'll be disapointed. Somehow all I can see it being is a ST with a big sheild and maybe a little more fairing. They don't build slow underpowered stuffy old fat guy bikes anymore. And, until they stop making the bigger RT/LT/GT like models, a smaller bike will never get all the bells and whistles (cruise control, radios, active suspension........). Face it, that's why the 800GS has the cheaper tube type wheels, and the small gas tank. "Well yes sir", the dealer will say, "if you need those luxury features I have this top-of-the-line, 1200GS".

Now if, gas gets more expensive, (though in Paris today, where gas is already expensive, there are plenty of guys commuting on full-size bmws) and if rules are written that prefer smaller engines, I could see the 800 motor being shoved in a modern version of the C1 scooter.

bobo

From my discussion with a BMW Canada rep at the bike show BMW is in the process of having two scooters (Sport and Touring) certified for the Canadian market.

Could be a few years away as Transport Canada is a very finicky regulatory body.

The future will be fun.

BTW it took 2 years for BMW Canada to get a regulatory change to accept the position of the headlights on the R1200GS. In gov't speak 2 years is not too bad.

The snow is almost gone and I've got my F650GS out and on the road. You can see it is not clean riding here this time of year....mud season, frost heaves, pot hole...still it is good to get out. It may hit 50 today so a good day for a ride.

Since I got the bike out, I thought i'd post a picture of it farkled with the full set of Aeroflow shields to give as close to RT coverage...and extent the riding season by a couple of months. My Sargent seat, Jessies, XM etc.

Attachments

• suzanne 2011.jpg
    suzanne 2011.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 148
Light RT

I completely agree. I have loved my 1986 R80RT for 25 years. I love that it is light weight and I love the weather protection.
Why, oh why did they ever stop making bikes like that?

I also have an R1200RT and it is a great bike. It lacks personality, but it is a great machine.
I had an R1150RT from 2002 - 2009, traded it for a 2009 Yamaha FJR. The FJR was too top heavy for me and it was hard to turn. I got rid of it after 9 weeks and 5200 miles. Traded it for the R1200RT (should have listened to my wife who told me to get the R1200 instead of the FJR). I have ridden the Concours and found it top heavy.

The Honda 700 cc touring bike intrigues me, but it weighs too much for what it is.
I too wish BMW would make a tourer that weighs under 500 lbs. I don't need a gazillion horsepower. I don't need electronic suspension. ABS is nice, but I could forgo it.

I think the R1200R with some mods can be the answer. Much easier to flat-foot than the 12GS, and 70 pounds lighter than the 12RT. Install something like the Parabellum Scout Fairing, put luggage on it, and you have touring machine weighing less than 450 pounds. Ideally, Aeroflow gets an R12R screen out, but for whatever reason they've not done so.

The big negative will be the range compared to the 12RT. Its hard to beat that seven gallon tank!

Here's a pic of the R12R with Parabellum's Scout Fairing. Good looking, IMHO:
sportshield_r1200r_m2.jpg

As an aside, the R12RT is not all that heavy. Its dry weight is just 505 pounds.

Back