Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going To Bloomsburg from New England?

Going To Bloomsburg from New England?

Are you traveling from New England to the BMWMOA Rally in July? If so, post your departure date/time if you wouldn't might others joining you.

Several of us are thinking of leaving Friday morning (7/22) from Western Mass.

Cheers!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Mass, isn't that in the Deep South..?

Leaving from northern VT early Friday morning, crossing the lake to Essex then linking up with 30 south thru the Adirondacks. Will keep the urban centers to my east, back roads all the way.

Pete
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Mass, isn't that in the Deep South..? {snip}
    Nope. We call that Connecticut, y'all! Are you bringing one of your best friends (as featured in a certain popular magazine)?
    Theo

Yankee Beemers might be having a Rolling Rally to Bloomsburg - Camping out on our way down to PA.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    Nope. We call that Connecticut, y'all! Are you bringing one of your best friends (as featured in a certain popular magazine)?
    Not sure just yet. We're camping thru Ontario to MN, cutting east from Duluth to the UP before dropping down to the RA Rally in Chippewa Falls. Then we'll ride home via IL, IN, OH, PA and NY. I'm not sure how he'll feel about getting back in the rig after 2 weeks and 4000 miles plus, but right now he runs into the shop and vocalizes as he sits in the hack and implores me to get a move on.

I have one exceptional dog named Tadcaster. He's my master hunter and constant canine companion. I love that dog more fiercely than most dogs can only dream about.He's five years old and has lymphoma. I would dearly love t get him past his fear of the hack so he could ride with me. We'll see how it goes.

And I have two waiting in the wings for their turn.

I have a few ways from the northeast to get to Bloomsburg and I will post them in do time. I will also include some nice ways coming from other regions.

For the New England and Upsate NY riders I would avoid I 81 between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre I think there is going to be a bridge replacement project meaning a major lane shift. I have ways around this one being RT 81 at Clarks Summit taking the Pa Turnpike to Dupont then back on RT 81. Or RT 11 taking you through the patch towns that offer great food. Or RT 6 with many routes south to Bloomsburg.

For those coming on RT 84 there is an exit that will get you on twisties running east of the same metro area with options to more twisty roads or RT 80 to Bloomsburg.

I have my favorite route from Hancock NY to Bloomsburg with an alternative dirt route once I get permission to have two gates openned. The dirt way is a half hour shorter.

I want to ride these roads to make sure I didn't miss any construction projects before publication.

New England campers ought to get a place near Hancock NY or RT 30 as a base camp then its just a nice 3-4 hour ride from there.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Thanks for the info Statdawg!

Keep us posted...
    Theo

Trying to get our small group to leave Maine on Wednesday late afternoon and drive until sundown then find a room.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I'll be leaving on an undisclosed day, taking a route I don't even know about, hoping to avoid riding with anyone I did not give birth too.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    I'll be leaving on an undisclosed day, taking a route I don't even know about, hoping to avoid riding with anyone I did not give birth too.
    Are you positive you know where you're going??
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    Are you positive you know where you're going??
    Sounds like it doesn't really matter where she ends up. She'll have a blast and come back with more fantastic photos!

BOKRIJDER
    I'll be working as soon as spring breaks putting together routing to the rally from your geographic quadrant.
    Pickup point will be 81 south from Binghamton or on the Delaware River crossings at Hancock and Deposit, NY. The segment will lead to the area of Chris's "Dirt Farm". (StatDawg)
    I'll be coordinating with Chris on this.
    My focus will be on dirt roads ranging from two lane dirt to one lane dirt with grass growing in the center, ideal GS riding. All routing will be on public roads.
    If one knows where to find them, Pennsylvania has public roads which approach single track.
    The layout will cross major highway arteries often, so that one may pick and choose the style and pace of riding which best suites.

Bokrijder

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Sounds like it doesn't really matter where she ends up. She'll have a blast and come back with more fantastic photos!
    that's the truth!
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.

It turns out that several of us will be leaving western MA on Thursday around noon instead of Friday. With the late-in-the-day start, we'll need to "bee-line" to Bloomsburg. I think we'll head west to the Taconic, head south to pick up I-84 west to somewhere well before Scranton and backroad it down to I-380 to connect up with I-80 west.

Right now it looks like we might follow SR-423 from I-84 down to Tobyhanna to pick up I-380. Any PA folks have input on using SR-423/I-380 for our route down to I-80? We were going to ride through the Delaware Water Gap but a frequent visitor to that area suggested that SR-209 might be a exercise in frustration due to the Park traffic.

BTW -- MS Streets and Trips shows highway construction due for I-81 from Scranton south as Statdawg had posted.
    Theo

Construction....

There appears to be no way to get on I-476 around SWB? I'm sure the rationale there made sense to someone....
    What about SR309, picked up at exit 170B? Will that exit be north of where the construction starts?
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.