• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil pan torque

Haynes - 6.5 to 9 ft-lbs. You'll need a lower range torque wrench if you plan to use one, like one to 150 in-lbs. The standard wrenches are like 150 ft-lbs and are notoriously inaccurate at either end of their ranges.

Start all bolts by hand. Tighten in a criss-cross pattern in stages.

Only get the bolts as tight as they need to be. You can always tighten more as needed.

Do yourself a favor and get a screwdriver with socket convertor. Use this to tighten the bolts...that's all that's needed and there's very little chance you will strip the bolts.

Haynes - 6.5 to 9 ft-lbs. You'll need a lower range torque wrench if you plan to use one, like one to 150 in-lbs. The standard wrenches are like 150 ft-lbs and are notoriously inaccurate at either end of their ranges.

+1!! :bow I was amazed when I first used the proper torque on the pan bolts, its much less than you think. I had often struggled with leaks on car valve covers, I realize now I was always over tightening and deforming the gaskets. If you do it by feel its likely you will over torque.

Don,

+1 on wecm31 & Kurt's recommendations.

Make sure gasket surfaces are clean and smooth. Taking the time to clean the case threads and bolt threads can be beneficial. If applying a new gasket make sure the letters on the gasket are facing up. I don't use any gasket sealer or adhesive material at all. Start in the middle with your tightening and work out in a criss-cross pattern in both directions (fore & aft). I use no more than 90 inch-pounds (7.5 ft-lb) of torque in 2 stages. Best to use an inch-lb wrench.

This may also be a good time to check your oil pickup bolts for tightness. Here's a link to my R65 restoration. Procedures should be similar.

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/gruntyman66/81 R650 Restoration/Oil Pan - Oil Pickup Srvc/

-Mike V.

Last edited:
Best to use an inch-lb wrench.

definitely +1

If you don't have one you can get a reasonably good one (clicker type) at Harbor Freight for around $25. 1/4" drive, 20-200 in.lbs. I replaced my OEM gasket with a reusable silicone version.

definitely +1

If you don't have one you can get a reasonably good one (clicker type) at Harbor Freight for around $25. 1/4" drive, 20-200 in.lbs. I replaced my OEM gasket with a reusable silicone version.

I did the same thing and used a 1/4 nut driver to "torque" the bolts. I believe that they are much less than the factory spec, but the silicone gasket does not need to be as tight.

Back