• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Arizona 191

jopars

K'nothead
I have a quick question:
I am in Phoenix for the month of February, and have always wanted to ride AZ 191 (formerly 666, the Devil's Hwy). It looks like the highs for Alpine will be about 59-60F this Sunday and Monday, and am wondering if there are any contraindications or advice, should I try for it.

Is it better to travel it south-north or north south?

I'd probably try to do it all in one day from Phoenix if possible, as I have other commitments that I have to work around.

Cheers
JP

Have done it twice...once in Fall and cool....once in August. I am sure a local with current intel will add the info as well.
I preferred the south to north run personally...the first big right turn past the Morenci Mine will wake you up and set your head clear for the next 90 miles. I was not ready and

:jawdrop

Great road for sure.

Good choice:)

I've done it a few times too and a zillion twisties is this road! I don't believe a striaghtaway exists on most of it. Be prepared for cold, no matter what the weather man says. Its a high elevation road and snow will be present in the forests, the further North you get. Very nice ride. The Phoenix loop will make a long day, so start early. Your average speed will be cut sharply in the twisties and stops for photo's. Randy

South to North for sure. I would guess there will be snow up in Alpine and the road can get "necked" down as a result. Stop at the look over at Morenci... that is one big hole! Will you come back into the valley on Rt 60? (recommended!)

Cheers folks...

South to north it is. I guess I'll be coming back via 60, from ShowLow to Globe and the Salt River Canyon.

I love the American southwest, and have ridden or driven most of the highways, but 191 has thus far eluded me. Looking forward to it.

I did the Salt River Canyon via 60, back in `97 on the Three Flags. At that time, it was full of bikes, cars and motorhomes and it was a real highlight. Unfortunately, I was going for it, and didn`t get any photos. Maybe this time.

If the photo opportunities are too much on 191, I have a contingency of spending the night in Alpine or ShowLow.

Again, thanks for the comments.

JP

hp2_191.jpg

this is an awesome road, pic above taken riding from north to south.

you could very possibly run into snow at the elevations this road attains.

oh, and when the corner sign says "10 mph" it *means* 10mph.

what will you be riding?

if you're not afraid of a little sandy road riding, there is an awesome road that goes from Lake Roosevelt to Apache junction that you could ride on the way back.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jQXdVdbIlBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ian

Ian, it must have been really hard riding in the dark! While I heard the soundtrack, all I saw was a black screen.

Tom

Nevermind! The next time I tried. it worked!

what will you be riding?

if you're not afraid of a little sandy road riding, there is an awesome road that goes from Lake Roosevelt to Apache junction that you could ride on the way back.

ian

I'll be on my trusted '93 R1100RS. Unfortunately, I left my GS at home this year. I say unfortunately, because there appears to be lots of great off-pavement riding in this state.

At the same time, I'm riding alone, and don't like to get too far off road without a buddy. Besides, I may save that road for next year.

JP

Made it...

Just a follow up to say that I completed the round trip as planned.

I would now agree that south to north is optimum, as you ascend out of hell (the Morenci mine) into heaven (the 9400 feet elevations near Hannagan Meadows).

Perhaps winter is not the optimum time to do this road, as the slow corners (sure is a lot of them!) were all heavily gritted and dusty. At first, I thought this was mostly mine residue, but it continued almost the entire length of the road. It appears they "grit" to improve the traction (!) when the road is snow covered.

Throw in the other hazards of deer (just missed a couple), rocks on the road from slopes and walls ranging in size from golf balls to footballs, and ice in some of the shadows (despite the 55-60F temps and bright sunshine), and one must be very careful.

Still, the incredible scenery is not to be denied, and overall, I had a great time. The return through the Salt River Canyon in the late afternoon was as spectacular as I remembered. It took me 11 1/2 hours, from 7:30 AM 'til 7:00 PM, and when I descended back into the Phoenix valley at sunset, the sky was aflame, competing with the crimson lit rock walls behind me.

Cheers
JP

...It took me 11 1/2 hours, from 7:30 AM 'til 7:00 PM, and when I descended back into the Phoenix valley at sunset, the sky was aflame, competing with the crimson lit rock walls behind me.

helluva ride... now, where are the pics??? :brow

Photos

Didn't get as many as I wanted, and they couldn't do the scenery justice anyway, but here are a few...

The Morenci Mine... I'd be surprised if you couldn't see this from space!

Attachments

• 003-20110213.JPG
    003-20110213.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 196
Cool. I'm heading down that way tommorow. Probably stay west of 191. I'll be camping in Old Tucson for a couple nights, then maybe Patagonia area.
Thanks for posting some recent pictures(for an idea of the snowpack).

Great you got it in! So, how WAS that first big turn near the mine overlook? :D

Headed back in a few months as well...I'll wait for the snow 2 be gone and hopefully the grit

Great you got it in! So, how WAS that first big turn near the mine overlook? :D

Headed back in a few months as well...I'll wait for the snow 2 be gone and hopefully the grit

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this... I've had other commitments for the past week.

To be perfectly honest, no one corner stood out for me, especially at or immediately after the mine. At first, I thought I was on the wrong road, as it seemed to be more of a mine service/working road, as opposed to a highway. There was one corner on the mine site under a trestle where the exit had bright sunshine in my eyes, and I couldn't see the sand/gravel. Let's just say it wasn't my smoothest piece of riding. :blush

After that, almost every corner was so tight and challenging that they had my full attention. :bow

Sure glad I went when I did, as the weather took a real turn for the worse afterward.

JP

I have ridden this many times. It is known as the "Coronado Trail" not Devils Highway. The explorer Coronado used this route on his way North. You are able to read your own license plate if you go fast enough. Think about it!

Jack

Back