• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boots for touring and general stuff?

I went with Cabela's own.

These days a $300+ boot is a bit impractical. :brow

Take a look here.

s7_811947_001_01

Pretty comfortable out of the box with removable inserts.

Little bit of styling too... :ha
Not bad for under $100!

I had to relace as they have a hole for it to pass through the tongue.
That made it difficult to 'snug up'... So far that's my only complaint.
Still breaking them in.

The only problem with boots like that is they don't really offer specialized protection. My uncle is a case in point. Back about 20 years ago, he went down in what essentially were leather boots like those. The toes ground almost entirely out of them. He suffered road rash to his feet, as well as to his knees, & other parts of his legs due to wearing jeans. Remembering what he went through, keeps me in Motorcycle specific clothing dang near all the time.

Discomfort = Distraction.

Majority of those boots don't fit me correctly.
Therefore I adjust/adapt.

I'll wrap my feet in leather before 'breathable' Goretex any day.

:wave

All nice looking ( and expensive) motorcycle boots.
Too bad they don't come wide enough for me. Even if they bother to mention widths. EE ain't even close.

Width

When I see a shoe or boot that does not specify the width, I KNOW they will NOT fit me. I have a wide foot. And don't get me started on those morons who say, "the sizes run wide", or....just buy a half size larger. NO...make a boot like it is supposed to be made, with varying widths for the comfort of the wearers. I will step off my soapbox now and back into my Chippewa boots 11 E.

I bet that buckle would hurt after slapping the interstate... :brow

There is a protective rectangular guard on the underside of the buckle mechanism that distributes the impact across the top of the foot. The bother for me is that my pants cuffs tend to catch the buckle getting on and off the bike!

..and the buckle on the Sidi Canyon is plastic.. (metal inside the buckle) but slammed to the ground and with the dispersion spacer guard underneath, I don't think it is a problem.

Sidi didn't get to be the racers choice- "Rolls-Royce"- of boots overnight... they've been around a long time... and know what they're doing. (I hope!)

When I see a shoe or boot that does not specify the width, I KNOW they will NOT fit me. I have a wide foot. And don't get me started on those morons who say, "the sizes run wide", or....just buy a half size larger. NO...make a boot like it is supposed to be made, with varying widths for the comfort of the wearers. I will step off my soapbox now and back into my Chippewa boots 11 E.

Gee you have a narrow foot!
not near as wide mine. :violin:wave

I've heard Boxwrenchs feet look like scuba flippers :) :brad

He can't withstand gale force winds and be still as could be!

You know I luv ya, Paul!

The only problem with boots like that is they don't really offer specialized protection. My uncle is a case in point. Back about 20 years ago, he went down in what essentially were leather boots like those. The toes ground almost entirely out of them. He suffered road rash to his feet, as well as to his knees, & other parts of his legs due to wearing jeans. Remembering what he went through, keeps me in Motorcycle specific clothing dang near all the time.

You really think motorcycle boots are tougher? :scratch

You really think motorcycle boots are tougher? :scratch

The various motorcycle specific boots I've bought all have toe, ankle and shin armor in them that, if it came down to it, would slide rather than grind away. The particular boots shown above are called "Soft Toe Boots", and they don't list any kind of armor on the web page. So, it's not that the leather is tougher on motorcycle specific boots, it's that they're designed to protect against this particular kind of problem. Hikers don't generally have to worry about sliding down the road at 35mph.

Back