• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Boots for touring and general stuff?

Re: BMW AllRound Boots

Around $130 from your friendly local dealer.

Wow!!! Name three.. ... (my nearest dealer is over 200 miles away).

I haven't seen them (on-line) for under $230.

Boots are such a personal thing. I wore Oxtar (TCX) Matrix (X-Fives) boots for years and they're very comfortable. Before that I wore BMW Contours (now discontinued, but replaced by today's BMW Pro Touring Boots) which were also very comfortable. But for both brands when the sole wears out they're done.

Around six months ago I bought a pair of Aerostich Combat Lites. I commute to work on my bike, wear the Combat Lites all day, and they're perfectly comfortable for all day wear. I'm not talking about hiking in the Rockies, but ordinary office walking around, walking to lunch, going up and down a floor or two of stairs, etc... I've never gotten home at the end of a long day with sore feet. The only soreness I've gotten from the boots was during the first week when I got a blister on the back of my right heel after I'd worn them all day with normal athletic socks. Ordinarily, I wear decent Wigwam ski socks with them, but then I did that during the winter with my other boots, too.

Don't be turned off by the people who complain that it takes years to break in Combat Lites, and that you have to do crazy stuff like soaking them in water and putting them in ovens, etc... I rode in the Combat Lites the first day I had them and, while certainly stiff, they were bearable. But I rode and walked in them every day, and within a few days I could feel that they were molding to my feet and ankles. After a week or two I'd say they were comfortable, and within a couple of months they fit like a glove. After five months and 7,000 miles they're now very comfortable, and continuing to get better. The only thing I've done to them is apply leather balm and SnoSeal every few months. They are heavy, but they break in so beautifully that I don't notice the weight.

+3 (if I'm counting correctly) on the BMW AllRounds. Being able to try them on at the dealer is a big plus. I've had my fill of mailing boots back and forth.

Re: BMW AllRound Boots

Wow!!! Name three.. ... (my nearest dealer is over 200 miles away).

I haven't seen them (on-line) for under $230.

Lew - you're absolutely correct. My bad. I had a $50 gift certificate, and got 15% off.. (open-house deal) so it was close to that price for me.

Sidi - Mega Rain, On Road, and several other models.

I have had 3 pairs over the years. Comfortable to walk in right out of the box. If you have the right size so they fit right you can ride, walk, lounge or hike in them.

I've had my fill of mailing boots back and forth.

Ya know, Zappos.com has a great "shipping policy": free, both ways. If I think there is going to be a sizing issue I "bracket my size" by ordering two (or three) of the same model. Since the return shipping is also free, I'm only out a trip down to the UPS store. Floating a couple of pair of boots on my CC for a couple of days ain't no big thang. I've actually placed an order in the afternoon, and received it the following day... not bad for KY to CA!

Too bad they haven't got a freakin' clue what real motorcycle boots are. . .. . As many off-the-wall brands that they carry in stock I can't understand why they don't carry Sidi, BMW, etc ... you can find them scattered all over the net, why not Zappos?

Why do vendors never post widths w/ their sizes?
If they do, use the vague term "wide".
I need 4E foot wear but can't tell from their ads if what I see comes that way.

So I hafta go to a Red Wing store.

I second or third the Cruisewerks boots. I've had mine for about 7 or 8 years and they are waterproof and comfortable.

Also, for around town I have a pair of Red Head (Cabela"s) quarter boots. Not motorcycle specific but a great boot in my opinion.

No, they don't have gee whiz ankle protection and are not even close to waterproof, but then I'm a bit old school and don't care.

Hope this helps.

These are inexpensive and pack small. They are effective in protecting your boots and keeping the feet dry.

totes Rubber Overshoes - Men's Work Boot Style

Now: $11.70

Lightweight Supertreads overboots protect and extend the life of your work shoes and boots from the damaging effects of weather and work conditions because you wear them over your shoes or boots. Supertreads are made of durable, natural waterproof rubber. 100% Natural Rubber. Made in USA.

Attachments

• 0700.jpg
    0700.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 774
I bought a pair of Alpine Stars boots over the internet for $75 several years ago. They were new in the box and fit my 11.5 EEE feet perfectly. The boots are very comfortable riding or walking. Both closures are velcro and the boots come with a removable foot pad. EURO size 4G, US size 11.5. There is a small reflective insert above the heel in each boot. My warm weather boots are steel toed, fabric, heavily padded, mountain boots (climbers/trek type). These are not waterproof but are really good in hot FL weather with the right socks. I used to wear Wellington type boots but have not found any with the armored toe and ankle bone protection that I now prefer.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

Looking at the AlpineStar website my boots would be the Ridge Model.

Last edited:
Wide Chippewas

That Chippewa is nice looking boot, especially for $189. I have a wide foot too, and larger than average calves. I had to special order my 10" White's work boots to get them around my calf... wondering if the 12" Chip will be big enough.

I have small, wide feet with a high instep I'm lucky to have a Chippewa dealer near me who ordered me a pair after trying on what they had on hand. The 8EE fits me really well with the SmartWool socks I like. I don't know how large your calves are, but there's plenty of adjustment there

Something to consider regarding safety...

My only experience in going down at speed involved my left foot getting caught between the (Honda) engine case and the road. I was wearing high-top hiking boots with laces. The laces hooked on something as I hit the road. I slid (maybe 50') and could not extricate my foot from under the bike.

When I came to a stop, the driver of the truck that caused me to go down had to help me remove my foot/shoe from underneath the bike. The laces had hooked onto something and the bike had to be uprighted a bit to unhook my shoe.

Looking at my boot, I noticed that the outer side (road side) of the boot was "ground" down to my sock at the ankle as was the outside part of the ball of my foot. My pants, jacket, and helmet helped me avoid injuries above the ankle but my foot took about a year to get back to normal.

So, I decided on two "must have" criteria for replacement boots:
1) NO LACES! Well, no laces that were exposed, at least;
2) ANKLE PROTECTION! This meant armor on the outboard and inboard side of the ankle.

I purchased the Tourmaster Response SC boot as a replacement pair. They do have laces but the entire area is covered by a fold-over, velcro-ed flap. Ankle protection is also present. So good so far.

Last year, after a bouncing stone caught me in the shin (my pants don't have shin armor), I decided to get some adventure-type boots with shin guards. Welcome the Sidi Canyons. Of course, I'll probably never again encounter a bouncing stone while touring on paved roads, but it is good to know that I am ready for one of those little devils if it comes my way again.

All this is to caution folks about laces and the lack of ankle (perhaps shin) protection. We all have our own level of risk acceptance when riding (a risky proposition anyway). My appears to be quite low.

Last edited:
Back