• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Two up touring on a Mystic or R100

G

GSnYooper

Thinking of getting an Airhead this summer. Any suggestions on what type/year/models. I'm very interested in a Mystic. Do the R100R accessories fit on a Mystic and has anyone toured on a similiar bike. Thanks for the replies from an Airhead Wannabe.

Matt

I have done a lot of 2-up touring on my 92 R100R but now it is semi-retired.
The front end of the R100R is the same as the Mystic, the rear end is the same as the R100GS.
The biggest problem I could see would be with getting luggage for the Mystic.
There is lots of equipment that was made for the R100GS and much of it will fit the R100R.
Utility wise I would go for the R100R or the R100GS.

I think the Mystic also has a lower handlebar. If this is true you may not like the position for distance riding.

Thanks for the info Widebmw and Fracture. I was kind of concered about the handlebar height and the available luggage for it. I was hoping I could get aftermarket seats (Russell or ?) and a rear luggage rack for it to mount a top case or some other back support for the back seat driver. As we all know if she aint happy we aint happy.

Thanks again

of course, some riders actually prefer lower bars (myself included), and dislike the motocross apehangers that are RT type bars.
only you can decide if a low bar or something more upright is better.

I would contact Rick Mayer about an aftermarket seat, along with Russell. The Russell is generally considered to be the most comfortable seat available, but at a cost of ugliness that is not unsubstantial.
If you can't get BMW saddlebags to fit, there are numerous soft bag makers- someone will have something for ya.

I agree with Bikerfish regarding bar height. I had RT-height bars on my R100, didn't like it. Now I have RS bars and find 500 mile days are much more comfortable. More fun in the twisties too, but the bars a little narrow for 2-up around town.

If you're planning on some long distance riding...

I'm going to have an absolutely flawless black Vetter Windjammer IV fairing up for sale on Ebay in about a week. Fabricated over a period of 18 days between April 3 and April 21, 1980, it has the original serial number tag. Comes with the Vetter mounting bracket to fit any 5,6 or 7.

When I say flawless - there isn't a scratch or bug splat on it, and it has a brand new vented windshield, new dual FIAMM (made in the USA :usa ) hi/lo horns, Bosch Euro spec "E" headlight (DOT motorcycle approved) and Sylvania Silver Star H4 bulb. The original Vetter's came with a sealed beam headlight which was kind of like a candle on steroids. It also has the wiring harness to allow seamless hook up.

It's good enough to be in a museum.

Imagine this in black and with the vented shield:

Attachments

• vetter white.jpg
    vetter white.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 278
I've had a few Mystics...sold one last year, my old man has one still.

dadsmystic.jpg

MYSNKDR-1.jpg

MYSRENG-1.jpg

MYSENGSIDEL-1.jpg

P1050828.jpg

I love the style and rideabilty of these bikes, my favorite airhead along with standart R100R. Nice open line power, cornering and braking characteristics. Great lines

After logging many miles on these I have these comments about the Mystic.

1) Bags are not a problem to find...the mounts may be difficult to source if they are not included with the bike. But the BMW Intergal bags are the stock item for this bike. They are a bit flimsy due to the plastic material the mounts are made of and wobble a bit when fully loaded.

2) Not a good two up touring bike as the seat is slippery and a bit small for hauling a passenger any distance.

3)Seating position is a bit cramped for me but not a problem. If you are 6 feet or taller or have a long inseam...you might wish the pegs were lower.

4) Watch out for the tranny circlip and a weak factory rear shock.

5) Seat can be changed by adding a GS or R100R subframe to accept a larger seat.

6) I would consider adding R100R handle bars for touring or long distance riding.

All and all a great sporty airhead in factory form. You would probably want to make some changes as mentioned for longer distance or touring. If you are over 6'2" this is probably too small a bike.

Most R100R parts ect will fit..such as the BMW tank bag seen in the photo
Main difference with the R and M is the dash, seat, rear cowl, handle bars and headlight mounting.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is great info for my first airhead. 60755 that bike is stunning. Did not think about the flimsy mounts. Yes the bike I'm looking at does come with bags looks like city bags though. I'm not sasquatch so height wise I should be alright. What would a '95 with low miles be worth about these days.

There is a saying that all we BMW riders end up turning our bikes into RT's. The moment you say you want a bike for 2 up touring, the RT is the bike you will want.

Total agreement

There is a saying that all we BMW riders end up turning our bikes into RT's. The moment you say you want a bike for 2 up touring, the RT is the bike you will want.

I love the old airheads; but when Barbie and I attended the BMWRA in Asheville on my R100, it became apparent that I needed to get a bike that was better suited to 2 up touring.

We now have a 1100RT. It can carry us and all our equipment.

Why not go with a RS fairing. But between my two bikes the RS is much more comfortable for high mileage daily riding or touring. The R is a blast to ride though... and in the heat the R is the bike to use.

I s'pose what we all need/want/dream of, is a spouse/girlfriend that rides her own scooter. Throw in her own saddlebags, and what more could a guy ask for! :heart

That said, my wife won't even get on a MurderCycle anymore, even though that is what brought us together to begin with. Must be something about working in the automobile insurance industry for thirty years that seems to have dampened her enthusiasm for the "freedom of the open road". Too many claims inspections I reckon. :(

On a positive note.... my gas mileage should be great from here on out! :dance

I have a '94 Mystic. IMO, it would be a terrible two-up bike. That is what I have an R100RT (or R12RT, or K12LT, or K16GTL) for.

The two biggest problems are the seat and the handlebars.

For the driver, the seat is cut down *very* low, resulting in your knees being bent more than an R/RS/RT - uncomfortable, even for me: 5'7", with a 30" inseam. Also, the fore-aft "dish" in the seat locks you into one (relatively uncomfortable) position.

For the passenger, the seat is *tiny* and thin -- not something I would want to ride any significant distance on.

I addressed the handlebar issue with R100RT bars (and a longer brake hose).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice bike (I still own one!). But an R100R would be a nicer two-up platform, with a greater selection of accessories, more BMW and aftermarket parts support, many more touring seat options, etc. -- because only a few hundred Mystics were made, as compared to several thousand R100R's. An R100RT would be even better for two-up.

I s'pose what we all need/want/dream of, is a spouse/girlfriend that rides her own scooter. Throw in her own saddlebags, and what more could a guy ask for! :heart
Even better -- marry an MSF instructor. :) Closing in on 30 years now, and never once a "Do you still have to ride that THING?" question :D

I have a '94 Mystic. IMO, it would be a terrible two-up bike. That is what I have an R100RT (or R12RT, or K12LT, or K16GTL) for.

The two biggest problems are the seat and the handlebars.

For the driver, the seat is cut down *very* low, resulting in your knees being bent more than an R/RS/RT - uncomfortable, even for me: 5'7", with a 30" inseam. Also, the fore-aft "dish" in the seat locks you into one (relatively uncomfortable) position.

For the passenger, the seat is *tiny* and thin -- not something I would want to ride any significant distance on.

I addressed the handlebar issue with R100RT bars (and a longer brake hose).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice bike (I still own one!). But an R100R would be a nicer two-up platform, with a greater selection of accessories, more BMW and aftermarket parts support, many more touring seat options, etc. -- because only a few hundred Mystics were made, as compared to several thousand R100R's. An R100RT would be even better for two-up.

ya know, thee's no reason to suffer with an uncomfortable, ill-fitting saddle.
http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

ya know, thee's no reason to suffer with an uncomfortable, ill-fitting saddle.
http://www.rickmayercycle.com/
I'm no stranger to Rick :D He's done 2 (3?) seats for me. Ron Miller did another one.

The problem with the Mystic is the seat pan is unique, and the low production numbers make it relatively rare (and thus not likely to be readily available from BMW's parts system a decade or two from now). If you think there is *any* chance of a Mystic commanding a premium over a standard R in the future, cutting up the stock seat today isn't a great idea.

If I was serious about improving the comfort enough to make my Mystic a daily runner, I'd probably swap the entire rear end from the subframe back with the equivalent R parts, and put the Mystic bits in storage for restoration before sale. Too many other bikes in the garage, and too many higher priority projects to get to, to bother at the moment. So she stays a pleasant occassional "something different today" ride.

Last edited:
Even better -- marry an MSF instructor. :) Closing in on 30 years now, and never once a "Do you still have to ride that THING?" question :D

I get that ALL the time when I fire up the Vergasser for a milk run. :D

The neighbors still point and stare.

What's the saying - you can't help but growing older, but you can act immature FOREVER! :twirl

Back