• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150R vs R1200R

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
Have any of you long time BMW guys moved from an 1150r to a 1200r? Had an 1150 for 3 years and just love it..........but as these things go, I have become enticed by the thought of more hp and a bit lower weight. So...

Is it worth spending a few bucks?

Is there anything the 1150 does better and where I will be sorry I sold the 1150?

Is the hp gain and the weight loss worth the hassle?

Is the 1200 simply better as it appears?

Let er rip - what do you think.

I love the look of this years 'Classic' but I understand that next years R1200 should be quite special, more like the LoRider concept idea of multi-choice customization.

I've put 160,000 miles on my 1150. I've ridden a few hundred miles on a1200. They are hugely different. When I rode the 1200 I wished I had waited a few years and bought the 1200 instead of the 1150. Oh well.

But since my 1150 is far from worn out I'm keeping it for now - and when I do get another bike I'll have to wrestle with R1200R and F800R and who knows what else might appear in the available mix.

I'm holding out for the mythical K900.

Have any of you long time BMW guys moved from an 1150r to a 1200r? Had an 1150 for 3 years and just love it..........but as these things go, I have become enticed by the thought of more hp and a bit lower weight. So...

Is it worth spending a few bucks?

Is there anything the 1150 does better and where I will be sorry I sold the 1150?

Is the hp gain and the weight loss worth the hassle?

Is the 1200 simply better as it appears?

Let er rip - what do you think.
I think as soon as the snow is mostly off the road, you should go visit one of your friendly local dealer's shops and go for an R1200R test ride.

Take your checkbook. They are that good.. (ex R1150RS owner..)

+1 to the growing consensus...

I owned an 1150R for several years (now ride an 1100S), but took a test ride on the
R12R, then took one home for a couple of days as a loaner while my S was in the shop. Put several miles on the 12R, mostly backroads but with a modicum of freeway and in town time as well. I loved my 1150R, but oh boy, that 12R is sweet.

Much better throttle response, "crisper" handling", and much improved gearbox.

So, yeah go take a test ride when the weather clears up, and have your checkbook handy. That's my opinion and I'm a stickin' to it! :drink

Cheers! Bill J

Last edited:
1200r

Thanks for the help - and having heard no dissenters, that advice is cleaner than most. Now if I can only dig out from under all this snow, maybe I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and take a look ....despite the snow. Thanks

R1200r

You may want to visit the R1200R forum, especially after you test ride and consequently purchase your new R1200R.

On that forum, there is a special designation award.

It is aptly named:

"Victims of the R1200R test ride.

Bill

I had a R1150 R for about 4 years. I loved it, it was the best BMW I ever owned...till I bought the R 1200R. There is nothing about it that I do not like. Better power, smoother, etc, etc. AND: No wizzy brakes.

The only minor thing about the 1200 is the one piece seat. I miss the 2 piece seat of the 1150 because I replaced the passenger seat with the Rockster rear flat panel, that gave me a better platform for my strap-on luggage.

concur about the r12r seat

only put 300 miles on the original seat.
got a corbin. very happy.
4830542775_7bfbb52de6_z.jpg

with a decent windshield and bags, i'd take mine anywhere. well, almost.
5415286916_b2154743c4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Once you take the test ride, you are certain to need this, so print it and take it with your checkbook
:

TestRideVictimsClub.jpg

The deed is done!

First I got the bug. Don't exactly know why....maybe it's the winter and the enmormous piles of snow.

Then the diligence ......I read everything in site on the R12R thinking I would find something to turn the switch off again. But no, the reading said "go".

Then you all were unanimous in your concise reviews of the R12R. So despite the rain and ice yesterday, Max BMW owns my 2002 R1150R and I now own an 07 R12R.

It's your fault................ but thanks.

Way to go!

Look forward to seeing it and going for a ride to the Man of Kent when the weather gets better.

Way to go!:clap

BTW - I will not blow your cover.

First I got the bug. Don't exactly know why....maybe it's the winter and the enmormous piles of snow.

Then the diligence ......I read everything in site on the R12R thinking I would find something to turn the switch off again. But no, the reading said "go".

Then you all were unanimous in your concise reviews of the R12R. So despite the rain and ice yesterday, Max BMW owns my 2002 R1150R and I now own an 07 R12R.

It's your fault................ but thanks.

You may now proudly exhibit the "Test Ride Victims Club" Logo . Welcome !:clap

Back