Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1150R vs R1200R

Spring

Yes - Man of Kent! We must have sustenance.

Quote Originally Posted by cycl2day View Post
    First I got the bug. Don't exactly know why....maybe it's the winter and the enmormous piles of snow.

Then the diligence ......I read everything in site on the R12R thinking I would find something to turn the switch off again. But no, the reading said "go".

Then you all were unanimous in your concise reviews of the R12R. So despite the rain and ice yesterday, Max BMW owns my 2002 R1150R and I now own an 07 R12R.

It's your fault................ but thanks.

You may now proudly exhibit the "Test Ride Victims Club" Logo . Welcome !
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350, Instructor, Louisiana Dept of Public Safety
    Motorcycle Safety, Awareness & Operator Training Program
    NAUI Instructor #36288, Board Member, Divers Alert Network

yep 20mm ammo bags

labeled "caution explosive"
    don't weigh nothin'.
    carry quite a biit.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Windscreens

Does anyone know if windscreens are interchangeable between the R1150 and R12R?

Rally Rat
    short answer: NO. Cee Bailey makes a good selection of windshields for the R1200R using the BMW factory mounts.

Congrats on the R12R. I, too, owned a R1150R. It was a great bike. One Saturday morning in October of 2005 I rode it to the dealership to get a replacement face shield for my helmet, and I saw a lightly used '05 R12GS on the floor. The R12GS was still fairly new, and this was the first used one that the dealership had for sale. I took it for a test ride and that R12 powerplant was so much smoother and pulled so much better than the R1150, that I had to get it. In three hours I owned it. I've now got 82,000 miles on that R12GS and have no intention of trading for something else!

My windscreen of choice, Aeroflow, hasn't yet designed a screen for the R12R, but if you do a lot of touring or highway commuting, this Parabellum Scout Shield looks pretty effective:

Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

The Scout works well for me. There are a variety of screen sizes so you should be able to tailor it to your needs. I have no issue with buffeting. There are other farkles to be seen on this one as well. Since this was taken I swapped out the BMW cases for Hepco top loaders.

Two other additions I recommend are; replace the seat (Corbin shown); and, add hand guards (there is a how to thread over in the DIY area in the HexHead forum.

Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Parabellum Scout

I like the looks of the Scout but I don't think that will mount on the R12R!?

Quote Originally Posted by cycl2day View Post
    I like the looks of the Scout but I don't think that will mount on the R12R!?
    I'm confused. Both pictures show the Scout mounted on a R1200R. What have I missed?
    Kevin Huddy

Scout mount

I guess I missed it - you must mean that the windscreen and the small fairing are all part of the scout package ?? In that case - I now see the light.

Right, the Scout consists of the mounting hardware, fairing and windshield of the height an tint you select. Comes in black, but they will paint it to match. Expensive, well made and the paint is a good match. I'm happy with it. Haven't ridden it in hot weather (don't see that much up here), but I have a 10" screen for the summer if needed. More info here.
    Kevin Huddy